Latif Kalifa

Diva Canto
It is with great sadness that I inform you that one of the oldest and
most respected members of this community, Latif Kalifa, has passed away,
after a long battle with a serious health condition that landed him in
the hospital many times over the past few years.

Latif's contributions to the open source SL ecosystem were vast and
varied. He was one of the original contributors, and the main
maintainer, of libOMV, a library that embodies the LL protocol and data
structures. LibOMV lies at the heart of OpenSimulator, as well as many
SL/OpenSim bots developed by lots of people. Latif also developed
Radegast, an alternative viewer used by many, especially people with
disabilities. He also contributed to the Singularity viewer and its
offshoot, Replex. He participated in the SL Architecture Working Group,
and in many technical discussions in the OpenSim-dev IRC chat channel.
He was a vocal advocate of free open source software.

We don't necessarily know who Latif was in real life, what he did for a
living, or who is family and loved ones are. That's one of the
consequences of being part of world-wide online communities, where we
interact only with virtual representations of real people, often using
pseudonyms. But it was clear to everyone who interacted with him that
his spirit was strong and that his heart, wherever in the world he
lived, was in the right place. Open source software exists because of
people like him.

His code will outlive him.
He will be missed.

Re: [Opensim-dev] Latif Kalifa

Robert A. Knop Jr.
On Sat, Mar 05, 2016 at 07:00:23AM -0800, Diva Canto wrote:
> It is with great sadness that I inform you that one of the oldest and most
> respected members of this community, Latif Kalifa, has passed away, after a
> long battle with a serious health condition that landed him in the hospital
> many times over the past few years.

That's very sad.

I also remember him as a regular at the server release team office hours
that I ran on the Beta grid for Second Life many years ago when I worked
for Linden Lab.

-Rob

--
--Rob Knop
  E-mail:    [hidden email]

Re: Latif Kalifa

Morgaine
Latif was a founding light in open virtual worlds, a light that shone strongly and helped illuminate the way as we began to explore this new frontier.  He enjoyed that exploration immensely, and he was a dedicated and very talented software engineer.  We benefited greatly and repeatedly from his work, and from his friendship.

I hope that virtual worlds will remember his many contributions, perhaps in a way that has a degree of permanence.  As virtual places gain maturity and recognition, our friend has earned rememberance not only among developers, and not only in memorials, but also in place names used daily by the inhabitants of worlds which his work has inspired.  He created the foundations of worlds, quite literally.

I will never forget Latif.  His work and his person contributed to my own interest in this area, and his efforts were sterling.  He has earned his place in history.

Morgaine.

(Thank you Diva for your homage.  It was spot on in every respect.)

Re: Latif Kalifa

Dahlia Trimble
I met Latif in SL thru the Advanced Scripters group. We were both experimenting with libSecondlife bots at the time and began our long streak of collaborating. He eventually joined the libopenmetaverse team as a contributor and I joined the OpenSimulator core team. We both participated in the OGP and VWRAP efforts by LL and our friendship continued to develop. He consulted with me on several of my OpenSimulator contributions, notably mesh asset decoding (for collision shapes for mesh), the protocol for advanced materials, and, along with several TPV developers, enhanced particle systems. He had many other contributions besides these, too numerous to mention. He also was quite principled and would seldom hesitate to challenge me when we disagreed. This was often difficult to initially deal with but there often was much validity in his perspective which I hadn't considered, and our friendship grew stronger. I miss him dearly :(

My condolences and best wishes for those he cherished.

On Sat, Mar 5, 2016 at 7:00 AM, Diva Canto <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Dr Ramesh Ramloll
I only came across his name on various forums, and his pseudonym certainly sounded very familiar.  I was not aware of his various and deeply significant contributions across diverse domains until now. Thanks for sharing this information which is certainly very inspiring. I just can't imagine how he was able to contribute the way he did while transcending his health limitations.

On Sat, Mar 5, 2016 at 4:11 PM, Dahlia Trimble <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: 208-240-0040