Limit Maximum number of user's login - concurrently

Limit Maximum number of user's login - concurrently

Udayan Singh
Hi All,

I want to limit the maximum number of user's logging on a opensim e.g. 10 user's should only be allowed to login concurrently

Is there any way to achieve the same ?

tia,
usr

Re: Limit Maximum number of user's login -concurrently

Aldon Hynes
It seems like a pretty reasonable request, one that I might end up making for various sites I might end up working on.  There are already options in place to limit the number of Prims in a region.  It would seem reasonable to have a similar option to limit the number of active users.

I remember old text based virtual worlds I used to hang out in having this sort of limit.

While this may be less useful for large public regions similar to Second Life regions, for people running small regions on private machines, VPSes or even on weird devices, such as my efforts on a mobile device, such a limit would be very useful.

My two cents.

Aldon

Re: Limit Maximum number of user's login - concurrently

Marck-2
In your viewer's menu "World" > "Region/Estate", there's an "Agent Limit" setting on the "Region" tab. Doesn't this work as expected? I have never tried, but when you change this value it does gets set in the appropriate table "regionsettings".

Teravus Ovares wrote:

> At the moment, I don't know of any provisions to limit number of
> users.   We're concentrated on increasing the maximum number technically
> that we might have missed that need.   Maybe another user can comment here.
>
> Teravus
>
> On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 6:48 AM, Udayan Singh <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi All,
>     I want to limit the maximum number of user's logging on a opensim
>     e.g. 10 user's should only be allowed to login concurrently
>     Is there any way to achieve the same ?
>     tia,
>     usr

Re: Limit Maximum number of user's login - concurrently

Shaun T. Erickson
Does that count root agents only? If it counts child agents, then
neighboring sims with root agents will affect how many can log into
your region.

-ste

Sent from my iPhone

On 14/10/10 17:08, Marck wrote:
> In your viewer's menu "World" > "Region/Estate", there's an "Agent
> Limit" setting on the "Region" tab. Doesn't this work as expected? I
> have never tried, but when you change this value it does gets set in the
> appropriate table "regionsettings".

I'm pretty sure that this value isn't used yet.

I don't think that the implementation would be that difficult.  We know all the sources and sinks of agents after all
(teleport, border crossing, login/logout).  Working out how to signal failure to the viewer might be trickier, though
the libomv guys may already know how that's done.

I guess it hasn't been itchy enough for any developer to implement yet :).

> Teravus Ovares wrote:
>> At the moment, I don't know of any provisions to limit number of
>> users. We're concentrated on increasing the maximum number technically
>> that we might have missed that need. Maybe another user can comment here.
>>
>> Teravus
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 6:48 AM, Udayan Singh <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>> I want to limit the maximum number of user's logging on a opensim
>> e.g. 10 user's should only be allowed to login concurrently
>> Is there any way to achieve the same ?
>> tia,
>> usr

Re: Limit Maximum number of user's login - concurrently

Robert Klein
If you are running Linux you could try using the iptables command to limit the number of users coming in:
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --syn --dport http -m iplimit --iplimit-above 10 -j REJECT

Not sure how to accomplish this on a Windows server.

-Robert