Load OAR --default-user

Fleep Tuque
Hi all,

Yesterday I had occasion to load an OAR file into a region with the --default-user switch, and it worked perfectly the first time.  The OAR loaded just fine with me as the owner.  I was able to go in and make changes to the content on the region, and when I was finished, I saved the OAR out (regular save, no parameters).

I then reloaded the OAR again with the --default-user switch to change the content owner to a different avatar, however, no matter what I do, the content seems to be owned by me - no matter what avatar name I put in the parameter.

Troubleshooting steps I tried that didn't resolve the issue:

- Restarting the simulator
- Load the saved OAR with the --default-user switch and new avatar name in a different region (same result, the content is still owned by me, and I should note, I am NOT the estate owner for that region)
- Clearing my viewer cache

I also tested loading the OAR with the --default-user switch using an avatar name that doesn't exist on the grid to ensure that it was properly checking to see if the account exist, and it did return an error on the console that the fake account didn't exist, so it is checking.

Any thoughts or suggestions for what to try next?

- Chris/Fleep

Re: Load OAR --default-user

justincc
Hi Fleep.  I'm afraid that the --default-user option only affects ownership for objects where the owner UUID does not
exist in the target grid.

By saving the OAR back out you have inserted your owner UUID which is then found on reload.

There is currently no --force-user "load oar" option (there can be but the implementation is not entirely
straitforward).  However, in your case you could resave the OAR with the --publish option.  This will strip your owner
information and so on the next load --default-user will end up applying to all objects.

On 13/02/15 14:40, Fleep Tuque wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Yesterday I had occasion to load an OAR file into a region with the --default-user switch, and it worked perfectly the
> first time.  The OAR loaded just fine with me as the owner.  I was able to go in and make changes to the content on the
> region, and when I was finished, I saved the OAR out (regular save, no parameters).
>
> I then reloaded the OAR again with the --default-user switch to change the content owner to a different avatar, however,
> no matter what I do, the content seems to be owned by me - no matter what avatar name I put in the parameter.
>
> Troubleshooting steps I tried that didn't resolve the issue:
>
> - Restarting the simulator
> - Load the saved OAR with the --default-user switch and new avatar name in a different region (same result, the content
> is still owned by me, and I should note, I am NOT the estate owner for that region)
> - Clearing my viewer cache
>
> I also tested loading the OAR with the --default-user switch using an avatar name that doesn't exist on the grid to
> ensure that it was properly checking to see if the account exist, and it did return an error on the console that the
> fake account didn't exist, so it is checking.
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions for what to try next?
>
> - Chris/Fleep

OSVW Consulting

Re: Load OAR --default-user

justincc
No problem, it was not clear on the wiki page.  I forgot to say that I have just clarified this on that page.

On 13/02/15 21:18, Fleep Tuque wrote:

> Ahhh, I see! I fundamentally misunderstood the function of the --default-user switch.  Thanks much for the clarification!
>
> - Fleep
>
> On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 3:51 PM, Justin Clark-Casey <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Fleep.  I'm afraid that the --default-user option only affects ownership for objects where the owner UUID does
>     not exist in the target grid.
>
>     By saving the OAR back out you have inserted your owner UUID which is then found on reload.
>
>     There is currently no --force-user "load oar" option (there can be but the implementation is not entirely
>     straitforward).  However, in your case you could resave the OAR with the --publish option.  This will strip your
>     owner information and so on the next load --default-user will end up applying to all objects.
>

>     On 13/02/15 14:40, Fleep Tuque wrote:
>
>         Hi all,
>
>         Yesterday I had occasion to load an OAR file into a region with the --default-user switch, and it worked
>         perfectly the
>         first time.  The OAR loaded just fine with me as the owner.  I was able to go in and make changes to the content
>         on the
>         region, and when I was finished, I saved the OAR out (regular save, no parameters).
>
>         I then reloaded the OAR again with the --default-user switch to change the content owner to a different avatar,
>         however,
>         no matter what I do, the content seems to be owned by me - no matter what avatar name I put in the parameter.
>
>         Troubleshooting steps I tried that didn't resolve the issue:
>
>         - Restarting the simulator
>         - Load the saved OAR with the --default-user switch and new avatar name in a different region (same result, the
>         content
>         is still owned by me, and I should note, I am NOT the estate owner for that region)
>         - Clearing my viewer cache
>
>         I also tested loading the OAR with the --default-user switch using an avatar name that doesn't exist on the grid to
>         ensure that it was properly checking to see if the account exist, and it did return an error on the console that the
>         fake account didn't exist, so it is checking.
>
>         Any thoughts or suggestions for what to try next?
>
>         - Chris/Fleep

>     --
>     Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
>     OSVW Consulting
>     http://justincc.org
>     http://twitter.com/justincc

OSVW Consulting

Re: Load OAR --default-user

Fleep Tuque
Yay, saving out with the --publish switch and reloading with the --default-user switch did indeed work for what I needed.

Thanks again, Justin!

- Fleep

On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 4:20 PM, Justin Clark-Casey <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

tringate
I have a question about using the --default-user switch on a older release of opensim.  I am currently stuck using version 0.8.1 DEV 2014-08-15 which is what was running just before OSgrid went down.  When I do the load oar it says it cannot find the user but “show user account” does show the user.  Have these commands been updated since that release?  The OAR was saved using the –publish option.

I tried to use the current release, but on my standalone avatars remain gray, nearly nothing will rezz on the regions, and the operation is very erratic.  I guess trying to leap forward 6 months does not work very well with existing regions.

Tom