Load Testing OpenSim

12

Load Testing OpenSim

Robert Klein
I know we broached this subject some time ago but I was wondering if anyone had eventually developed some method for doing an automated load test? If so, what software and parameters were involved? I also discovered this wealth of open source load testing software and thought it might be helpful somehow at http://www.opensourcetesting.org/performance.php

Thanks,

-Robert

Re: Load Testing OpenSim

Dirk Krause
There are peoplein NZ working on that:
http://www.mail-archive.com/opensim-users@.../msg00595.html

You might want to contact Melanie Middlemiss on this topic.

-- Dirk

winmail.dat (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Load Testing OpenSim

Robert Klein
Hey Dirk - Yes I remember this post from last year but was wondering if anyone had developed some method they were willing to freely share. The need to properly load test OpenSim seems pretty important whether a standalone behind the firewall or a publicly available gridded set of regions. At some point most of us will probably need to know what our regions can reliably handle. It also seems appropriate for this group to (as a whole) determine what the standard for load testing should be. I would also imagine it would help people who offer hosting or some kind of consulting services too. Maybe start a page on the Wiki?

Regards,

-Robert

Re: Load Testing OpenSim

Dirk Krause

Hi,

actually I don't know whether they offer this service for free or not. After all it's academic?

It absolutely makes sense to do load tests, and I think in general this boils down to 'real people' (as opposed to 1000 bots) logging into an OpenSimulator.

@wikipage: good idea.

Best,
 Dirk

winmail.dat (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Load Testing OpenSim

Robert Klein
Hmm, even if they offer their service for free they may not be able to get access to many private or enterprise standalones or grids. I guess even a fairly robust bot script could at least simulate some kind of equivalency factor such as; 15 random jumping bots throwing 75 particle emitters per region = 1 "average" user performance... ok I know it sounds insane but you get the picture. It seems like we are using the amount of avatars per simulator as a measuring tool but very few of us can actually use that method. It would be nice to have a method everyone could employ.

-Robert

Re: Load Testing OpenSim

Master_Mirage
Robert Klein wrote
Hmm, even if they offer their service for free they may not be able to get access to many private or enterprise standalones or grids. I guess even a fairly robust bot script could at least simulate some kind of equivalency factor such as; 15 random jumping bots throwing 75 particle emitters per region = 1 "average" user performance... ok I know it sounds insane but you get the picture. It seems like we are using the amount of avatars per simulator as a measuring tool but very few of us can actually use that method. It would be nice to have a method everyone could employ.

-Robert
Actualy you allready can using campbot that comes with opensimulator. You just need to make a bot account(like any normal user) and a batch file in the bin dir. that looks something like this.

...  pcampbot -l http://my.coolserver.com:8002 -firstname Knife -lastname Blade -password xxxxxxxx
shutdown ...

This can be used many times and for as many real bots you like. You also can log in as that account and have them wear assorted things that can add additonal load or change there login location ect.

Thay are physical bots, meaning thay leap and jump around.

Im not real good at making batch files and the lines above just lauch one, im shure it can be written so it would launch many bots using real accounts with a bit mor fuss.

I use this quite offten when tweeking a new opensim build and can place quite a load on a server depending on how many and how you have them dressed up.

Tnx
Our New Web Page
Http://www.TritonGrid.com

Re: Load Testing OpenSim

Master_Mirage
Few notes: pcampbot.exe currently could use some tlc, its become a bit dated but continues to work with some odd errors that eventualy settle down. I continue to use this anyway and still works in all rev. incl head (dev) master.

These bots collide and follow the same rules as a normal avie does.
Thay can also be lauched accrost the web but prob wount give accurate bandwidth usage.

If this project was taken under someones wing perhaps it could be standardized to foum a common load test. Seems its not far from beeing that and is allready part of all rev's in core.

There are other ways to run this to ie from commandline, i choose to run it as a batch job so that it would use a real avies account that has inventory,attachements ect allready on it and can be easly launched.
I typicaly will load 20 sep. ones when im testing a new rev or i need to tweek settings.

Anyway with a bit of TLC i find this would be an excellent way to load test a given build thats also standard in all rev'.s sofar.

Our New Web Page
Http://www.TritonGrid.com

Re: Load Testing OpenSim

Mister Blue
I have been doing manual load testing and I am starting to look at more automation.

I have found that TestClient bots that do something (walk around, chat), in aggregate, give a load pretty close to a "normal" viewer load.  I have been using scripts that start up groups of bots that walk around (waypoint to waypoint) but I don't have good scenarios of what large numbers of avatars realistically do in a region.

Testing the load of a large number of clients requires a lot of infrastructure -- multiple client systems and a lot of networking. That makes stress testing difficult to set up and to create a portable, automated stress tester.

-- mb

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 7:48 PM, Robert Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

I know we broached this subject some time ago but I was wondering if anyone
had eventually developed some method for doing an automated load test? If
so, what software and parameters were involved? I also discovered this
wealth of open source load testing software and thought it might be helpful
somehow at http://www.opensourcetesting.org/performance.php

Thanks,

-Robert

Re: Load Testing OpenSim

Lindy (McKeown) Orwin
How about this for a load test...

ScienceSim demos 1,000 avatars on a sim

The Intel-backed ScienceSim grid, running the open source OpenSim virtual world server software, ran a demo with over 1,000 avatars in a single region

Video at http://www.archive.org/details/Scienesim1000AvatarLoadTest2

Lindy

On 21 June 2010 16:32, Mister Blue <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Lindy McKeown
Skype Lindymac
Twitter Lindymac
Second Life - Decka Mah
Cell: 360 536 5047 (USA)
Email: [hidden email]
Web: http://lindymckeown.com
Work: Project Officer - Collaboration and Virtual Worlds, Australian Digital Futures Institute, University of Southern Queensland, Australia
ISTE Membership Committee: International Member Representative.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C. Clarke

Re: Load Testing OpenSim

peter host-2
I haven't much dug into that, but it seems to me that a scalable cloud
infra should be perfect for what you describe : large numbers of
clients for a limited time, *real* different ips,...
1 loader script piloting 'on the fly' created ec2/whaterver client
instances, only for the time they're needed. Even for large load
tests, the overall cost should noy go beyond a few dollars.

> Testing the load of a large number of clients requires a lot of infrastructure -- multiple client systems and a lot of networking. That makes stress testing difficult to set up and to create a portable, automated stress tester.
>
> -- mb

Re: Load Testing OpenSim

Robert Klein
Yes it definitely is better to use automated bots due to resources required for fully testing the load of an average server. Maybe the first step is coming up with a common standard? Yes IBM tested 1000 avatars but based on what standard? What exactly did that test show? What parts really were tested? By coming up with a single standardized testing scheme and then giving it a cool label we can really start to measure predictable server performance. So, what are the top items we need to measure and can an automated bot system/script/method be designed to collectively test those items and come up with a single result?

-Robert

Re: Load Testing OpenSim

Dirk Krause
yes, this absolutely is one way to go.

we successfully experimented with
- ec2 linux instances sporting the hippo viewer
- streaming the hippo window output as a .flv source
- emulating keystrokes to the hippo viewer to move the avatar

all in all this makes a fully qualified client that hits the OpenSimulator as hard as a real client does, still it is scriptable in a limited way. and it would be perfectly scalable via the cloud.

-- Dirk

I haven't much dug into that, but it seems to me that a scalable cloud
infra should be perfect for what you describe : large numbers of
clients for a limited time, *real* different ips,...
1 loader script piloting 'on the fly' created ec2/whaterver client
instances, only for the time they're needed. Even for large load
tests, the overall cost should noy go beyond a few dollars.

> Testing the load of a large number of clients requires a lot of infrastructure -- multiple client systems and a lot of networking. That makes stress testing difficult to set up and to create a portable, automated stress tester.
>
> -- mb

I haven't much dug into that, but it seems to me that a scalable cloud
infra should be perfect for what you describe : large numbers of
clients for a limited time, *real* different ips,...
1 loader script piloting 'on the fly' created ec2/whaterver client
instances, only for the time they're needed. Even for large load
tests, the overall cost should noy go beyond a few dollars.

> Testing the load of a large number of clients requires a lot of infrastructure -- multiple client systems and a lot of networking. That makes stress testing difficult to set up and to create a portable, automated stress tester.
>
> -- mb

Re: Load Testing OpenSim

Dirk Krause

yes, one can do that.

But I thought we were speaking more about a load testing a particular server architecture (like ReactionGrid).

I haven't much dug into that, but it seems to me that a scalable cloud
infra should be perfect for what you describe : large numbers of
clients for a limited time, *real* different ips,...
1 loader script piloting 'on the fly' created ec2/whaterver client
instances, only for the time they're needed. Even for large load
tests, the overall cost should noy go beyond a few dollars.

> Testing the load of a large number of clients requires a lot of infrastructure -- multiple client systems and a lot of networking. That makes stress testing difficult to set up and to create a portable, automated stress tester.
>
> -- mb

Re: Load Testing OpenSim

Mister Blue
Could also be comparing one version of OpenSimulator against another to check for regressions or improvements.

Testing requires setting up the system under test, creating all the test bot accounts, loading a standard sim configuration, setting up data gathering, firing off one or more clients to exercise the system and then collecting and analyzing the gathered data. Each of the steps presents its own challenge to automation.

-- mb

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 10:14 AM, Dirk Krause <[hidden email]> wrote:

yes, one can do that.

But I thought we were speaking more about a load testing a particular server architecture (like ReactionGrid).

I haven't much dug into that, but it seems to me that a scalable cloud
infra should be perfect for what you describe : large numbers of
clients for a limited time, *real* different ips,...
1 loader script piloting 'on the fly' created ec2/whaterver client
instances, only for the time they're needed. Even for large load
tests, the overall cost should noy go beyond a few dollars.

> Testing the load of a large number of clients requires a lot of infrastructure -- multiple client systems and a lot of networking. That makes stress testing difficult to set up and to create a portable, automated stress tester.
>
> -- mb

Re: Load Testing OpenSim

Robert Klein
Exactly Mr. Blue that is the general framework in a nutshell. Regression testing of versions, operating systems, and hardware configurations for comparisons and such would be a wonderful thing indeed.

The idea of a common single region oar file is great too.

Dirk, the load testing would be targeted at individual servers (machines) to help people determine what their systems can handle. This of course would benefit those who are putting together grids too. It often feels like we are all building race cars but have no idea what race we are going to be using them at. How do we know what hardware will handle what purpose? It is a pretty reasonable assumption that most people at least have some idea what they are hoping to accomplish when they build their OpenSim systems. Maybe they just want a single region for their 10 friends to watch movies or someone might need to train 100 people for an afternoon on some new business process. If I have a server that is performing at 75 btps (Bot Trots Per Second) and we know that equates to 12 avatars comfortably using a single region then I need to plan my hardware accordingly. Who knows, you might just need to make a few tweaks to an INI file to get your Bot Trots up to 150. At least there would be a way to measure it. It may be necessary to have 5 or 6 actual tests to determine various aspects of the server capabilities or as simple as making 500 bots run from one side of the region to the other in the shortest time (we could call it the Red Rover effect).

Just from my own observations of people in SL and other grids there are only a few things we all do consistently (other than buying shoes), stand around and chat, walk, dance, and fly. Creating some bots that do those things would be a great starting point. I remember RealXtend came with Beneath the Waves and it had several bots swimming all around (really killed my poor little laptop server). :)

-Robert

Re: Load Testing OpenSim

Karen Palen
Seems to me that  Radegast should do this pretty well.

It actually attempts to emulate the "casual user" with a minimal host footprint.

At least with Diva distro r12224 (OpenSim 0.6.9) it seems to work with no problems.

I have managed 200 avatars on my private sim this way (Sim: Athlon 6000+ 3 ghz, client: I7 920 3.5 ghz)

I definitely agree that some "standard" test would be very helpful though!

Karen

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Robert Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info on Radegast Karen. Radegast looks like a very robust way of doing a lite viewer. Lots of functionality too. I had a problem with walking to an object and discovered if I click on Walk To then Turn To it would work.

Hmm, maybe what we need is a REALLY SIMPLE version of a tool like Radegast? All it would need is to login a user to the region and display some statistics (maybe as a pretty realtime graph) while 500 bots go trotting around. It could have a few buttons like, Start Bots, Stop Bots, and Logout. Functionality could be added over time to fine tune whatever metrics are being collected.

-Robert

Re: Load Testing OpenSim

Karen Palen
I was thinking more along the lines of some sort of macro set for Radegast. or possibly a "random do things" plugin.

It has been a several months since I looked into it, but my recollection is that either could be implemented quickly and easily.

The advantage of having a more or less full function client is that it becomes simple to add some very sophisticated tests

For example, have the "bot" IM friends while moving and do some Group manipulations - all of which add to the system load and many of which can interact to produce strange bugs.

Karen

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 8:32 AM, Robert Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks for the info on Radegast Karen. Radegast looks like a very robust way
of doing a lite viewer. Lots of functionality too. I had a problem with
walking to an object and discovered if I click on Walk To then Turn To it
would work.

Hmm, maybe what we need is a REALLY SIMPLE version of a tool like Radegast?
All it would need is to login a user to the region and display some
statistics (maybe as a pretty realtime graph) while 500 bots go trotting
around. It could have a few buttons like, Start Bots, Stop Bots, and Logout.
Functionality could be added over time to fine tune whatever metrics are
being collected.

-Robert

Re: Load Testing OpenSim

Robert Klein
My biggest concern would be what if Radegast decides to go in another direction with their product? It would be safer to go with something we have more control over. If we use a random function will we get random results? I am not a testing guru but imho it seems like we should have a certain number of things doing a certain number of things from a certain point to another certain point or something like that. :)

Anyone out there who is deeply involved in testing and QA have an opinion on what we should be doing?

-Robert
12