MOSES In A Box Released!

Maxwell, Douglas
Good Morning All, the March 2014 MIAB build is ready for you to download.  We've assembled detailed instructions for how to setup and use it, including MOSES Grid Manager.

NOTES:

1)  I've walked through these instructions many times and although it works for me, there may be issues I missed.  If you see any inconsistencies or anything that is not clear, please let us know and we'll update the page.

2)  Advanced instructions are available at the end of the page, including how to modify your IP address to match your network configuration.

3)  VMware users should be able to use the vmdk with no issues.  If you would like to contribute instructions to the web site, please contact me.

4)  Many of you have expressed an interest in MGM.  This is your opportunity to see a live running example instance.

The MIAB project page is located at the MOSES Military Metaverse home page under the "Projects" site or can be found at the URL below.

http://militarymetaverse.org/?page_id=156

Good Luck!

Douglas Maxwell, MSME
Science and Technology Manager
Virtual World Strategic Applications
U.S. Army Research Lab
Simulation & Training Technology Center (STTC)
(c) (407) 242-0209
NEW DoD Email:  [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: MOSES In A Box Released!

Nick Zwart
Hi Douglas,

Thanks, this is great news.
You told me in the past you were planning to move voice back to Freeswitch, is that also included in the box?

Nick Zwart - 3DLES

You told me in the past you were planning to move voice back to Freeswitch, is that also included in the box?

Nick Zwart - 3DLES

Re: MOSES In A Box Released!

Dr Ramesh Ramloll
Thanks a LOT Max. I was wondering when this will happen.  :) Fantastic.
If you may elaborate, what are the restrictions if any if your product is integrated with other products concerning commercial applications?
Under what license is Moses in a box released?
Thanks
Regards
Ramesh

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 11:10 AM, Maxwell, Douglas <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, we had a lot of trouble with Mumble in the past and I'm very happy to see more development happening with it.  For now, we have Freeswitch in the MOSES project (and MIAB).  Voice works out of the box.

Douglas Maxwell, MSME
Science and Technology Manager
Virtual World Strategic Applications
U.S. Army Research Lab
Simulation & Training Technology Center (STTC)
(c) <a href="tel:%28407%29%20242-0209" value="+14072420209">(407) 242-0209
[...]

Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: 208-240-0040

Re: MOSES In A Box Released!

drwhiet@spacefriends.de
What is MOSES good for or better than lastest out of the box opensim? Could not find answers about this ?

Best regards.
Wordfromthe Wise

Best regards

> Am 11.04.2014 um 17:00 schrieb "Maxwell, Douglas" <[hidden email]>:
>
> Good Morning All, the March 2014 MIAB build is ready for you to download.  We've assembled detailed instructions for how to setup and use it, including MOSES Grid Manager.
>
> NOTES:
>
> 1)  I've walked through these instructions many times and although it works for me, there may be issues I missed.  If you see any inconsistencies or anything that is not clear, please let us know and we'll update the page.
>
> 2)  Advanced instructions are available at the end of the page, including how to modify your IP address to match your network configuration.
>
> 3)  VMware users should be able to use the vmdk with no issues.  If you would like to contribute instructions to the web site, please contact me.
>
> 4)  Many of you have expressed an interest in MGM.  This is your opportunity to see a live running example instance.
>
> The MIAB project page is located at the MOSES Military Metaverse home page under the "Projects" site or can be found at the URL below.
>
> http://militarymetaverse.org/?page_id=156
>
> Good Luck!
>
> Douglas Maxwell, MSME
> Science and Technology Manager
> Virtual World Strategic Applications
> U.S. Army Research Lab
> Simulation & Training Technology Center (STTC)
> (c) (407) 242-0209
> NEW DoD Email:  [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: MOSES In A Box Released!

Maxwell, Douglas
The MIAB is identical to the public MOSES grid that we use for external collaboration and research.  MOSES is composed of many open source projects in addition to Open Simulator and we abide by their various open source licenses.  The pieces we wrote can be found at our github site (URL below) and we release under the MIT license.

https://github.com/M-O-S-E-S

We created MIAB as a response to the many requests from other Gov't, Industry, and Academic entities who ask us for copies or assistance in standing up their own open simulator instances.  The MIAB can be used "as is" for a small grid, or the head node of a much larger deployment with hundreds of sims on a grid of servers.  It has a different target audience from the "Sim on a Stick" project as it uses full MySQL and Apache support as well as graphical grid management tools built in.

(c) (407) 242-0209<https://striwebmail.peostri.army.mil/owa/UrlBlockedError.aspx>

http://militarymetaverse.org/?page_id=156<https://striwebmail.peostri.army.mil/owa/UrlBlockedError.aspx>

NEW DoD Email:  [hidden email]<https://striwebmail.peostri.army.mil/owa/UrlBlockedError.aspx><mailto:[hidden email]<https://striwebmail.peostri.army.mil/owa/UrlBlockedError.aspx>>

Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: 208-240-0040
LinkedIn<https://striwebmail.peostri.army.mil/owa/UrlBlockedError.aspx>, DeepSemaphore LLC<https://striwebmail.peostri.army.mil/owa/UrlBlockedError.aspx>, RezMela<https://striwebmail.peostri.army.mil/owa/UrlBlockedError.aspx>, Google+ profile<https://striwebmail.peostri.army.mil/owa/UrlBlockedError.aspx>

Re: MOSES In A Box Released!

Maxwell, Douglas
It is provided as a virtual machine disk image that has everything in it you would need to stand up an open simulator instance, with voice, and web-based management tools.  It is designed to be a fully featured system that can work on a network that is completely isolated.  You do not need to be connected to the Internet for it to work.  Lastly, it is configured such that you can create very large estates and deploy to a grid of servers.

A note about the MOSES Grid Manager:  we ran into an issue where we needed to efficiently load balance our virtual machines.  If you plan to manage a large number of sims or estates, a graphical solution may allow you to reduce your labor overhead from manual maintenance.  We created a set of tools that allow us to graphically re-allocate sims to servers graphically through a web interface.  Initially we investigated ROBUST, but after working with Dan Lake and Robert Adams we saw it would be better to implement this kind of functionality with Simiangrid.

We created it for use on military networks, however I release it to the public as a gesture of good will.

Douglas Maxwell, MSME
Science and Technology Manager
Virtual World Strategic Applications
U.S. Army Research Lab
Simulation & Training Technology Center (STTC)
(c) (407) 242-0209

Re: MOSES In A Box Released!

Rick Anderson
I agree. I'm downloading it now. Very excited.

On Friday, April 11, 2014, Sinclair, Gwenette <[hidden email]> wrote:
Congrats to Michael, Doug and Eric .. . job well-done on MIAB, the instructions and the webpage!
I am looking forward to seeing more instances of MIAB in action.

Gwenette Sinclair
MOSES Avatar: Gwenette Sinclair
OpenSim & SL Avatar: Gwenette Writer
Research Associate, Institute for Simulation and Training
Simulation and Training Technology Center
University of Central Florida
3100 Technology Parkway, Orlando, FL  32826
Office 407-823-0084; Studio 321-338-2446

NEW DoD Email:  <a href="javascript:;" onclick="_e(event, &#39;cvml&#39;, &#39;Douglas.Maxwell3.civ@mail.mil&#39;)">Douglas.Maxwell3.civ@...<mailto:<a href="javascript:;" onclick="_e(event, &#39;cvml&#39;, &#39;Douglas.Maxwell3.civ@mail.mil&#39;)">Douglas.Maxwell3.civ@...>

--
Rick Anderson
Director of Virtual Worlds

Re: MOSES In A Box Released!

John "Pathfinder" Lester
Wow, this looks great.  Easy install and great instructions.

Congratulations, Team MOSES.  Well done!

Take care,
-John

http://about.me/pathfinder

“If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea.”  -Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 9:25 PM, Lisa Laxton <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks Mike and Doug!

Thank you very much everyone! Now to get this going on my machine! It looks like my weekend is shot now! Gonna get this going!

Steve LaVigne!

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 2:06 PM, Sinclair, Gwenette <[hidden email]> wrote:

Congrats to Michael, Doug and Eric .. . job well-done on MIAB, the instructions and the webpage!
I am looking forward to seeing more instances of MIAB in action.

Gwenette Sinclair
MOSES Avatar: Gwenette Sinclair
OpenSim & SL Avatar: Gwenette Writer
Research Associate, Institute for Simulation and Training
Simulation and Training Technology Center
University of Central Florida
3100 Technology Parkway, Orlando, FL  32826
Office <a href="tel:407-823-0084" target="_blank">407-823-0084; Studio <a href="tel:321-338-2446" target="_blank">321-338-2446
[...]

(c) <a href="tel:%28407%29%20242-0209" target="_blank">(407) 242-0209