Making Viewer Portable

Len W. Brown
Hey there everyone!

     Recently I've been working on making the Open Simulator Virtual World Platform 100% portable.  I've set up the OpenSim server and a separate MySQL server both on an external thumb drive.  I have copied the installation directory of the Hippo viewer to the thumb as well but discovered that when I made changes to the viewer those changes were ignored when loading on a different computer.

     I realized the viewer settings are all saved to the system registry (I'm using Windows XP).  Would it be possible to instead compile a viewer so that all internal changes are instead saved to an ini file - like OpenSim is?  This way a person could have a truly 100% portable copy of OpenSim, MySQL server and viewer all on a thumb drive and keeping all settings intact when going from system to system.

Thanks for any input on this!

- Len W. Brown

Re: Making Viewer Portable

Teravus Ovares
I thought it was stored in:

C:\Documents and Settings\<Windows UserName>\Application Data\SecondLife

Regards

Teravus

On 6/4/09, Len Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey there everyone!
>
>      Recently I've been working on making the Open Simulator Virtual World
> Platform 100% portable.  I've set up the OpenSim server and a separate MySQL
> server both on an external thumb drive.  I have copied the installation
> directory of the Hippo viewer to the thumb as well but discovered that when
> I made changes to the viewer those changes were ignored when loading on a
> different computer.
>
>      I realized the viewer settings are all saved to the system registry
> (I'm using Windows XP).  Would it be possible to instead compile a viewer so
> that all internal changes are instead saved to an ini file - like OpenSim
> is?  This way a person could have a truly 100% portable copy of OpenSim,
> MySQL server and viewer all on a thumb drive and keeping all settings intact
> when going from system to system.
>
> Thanks for any input on this!
>
> - Len W. Brown
>      [hidden email]

Re: Making Viewer Portable

Len W. Brown
Right on.  That is where the cache is stored by default.  That can be changed in the application BUT those settings are all stored as registry settings.  Those settings are what I'd like to have as an ini file rather than registry settings.

For example, if you go into Second Life and change the cache to be stored on a thumb drive along with the main application, if you plug the thumb into a different computer and run Second Life, all the settings revert to default, including the default cache storage location you pointed out.

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 11:29 PM, Teravus Ovares <[hidden email]> wrote:
I thought it was stored in:

C:\Documents and Settings\<Windows UserName>\Application Data\SecondLife

Regards

Teravus

On 6/4/09, Len Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey there everyone!
>
>      Recently I've been working on making the Open Simulator Virtual World
> Platform 100% portable.  I've set up the OpenSim server and a separate MySQL
> server both on an external thumb drive.  I have copied the installation
> directory of the Hippo viewer to the thumb as well but discovered that when
> I made changes to the viewer those changes were ignored when loading on a
> different computer.
>
>      I realized the viewer settings are all saved to the system registry
> (I'm using Windows XP).  Would it be possible to instead compile a viewer so
> that all internal changes are instead saved to an ini file - like OpenSim
> is?  This way a person could have a truly 100% portable copy of OpenSim,
> MySQL server and viewer all on a thumb drive and keeping all settings intact
> when going from system to system.
>
> Thanks for any input on this!
>
> - Len W. Brown
>      [hidden email]

Re: Making Viewer Portable

Jeroen van Veen
did you checked out the cache-entry in app_settings/settings.xml ? =>

    <key>CacheLocation</key>
    <map>
      <key>Comment</key>
      <string>Controls the location of the local disk cache</string>
      <key>Persist</key>
      <integer>1</integer>
      <key>Type</key>
      <string>String</string>
      <key>Value</key>
      <string />
    </map>

jeroen

On Friday 05 June 2009 04:55:05 Len Brown wrote:

> Right on.  That is where the cache is stored by default.  That can be
> changed in the application BUT those settings are all stored as registry
> settings.  Those settings are what I'd like to have as an ini file rather
> than registry settings.
>
> For example, if you go into Second Life and change the cache to be stored
> on a thumb drive along with the main application, if you plug the thumb
> into a different computer and run Second Life, all the settings revert to
> default, including the default cache storage location you pointed out.
>
> On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 11:29 PM, Teravus Ovares <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I thought it was stored in:
> >
> > C:\Documents and Settings\<Windows UserName>\Application Data\SecondLife
> >
> > Regards
> >

> > Teravus
> >
> > On 6/4/09, Len Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Hey there everyone!
> > >
> > >      Recently I've been working on making the Open Simulator Virtual
> >
> > World
> >
> > > Platform 100% portable.  I've set up the OpenSim server and a separate
> >
> > MySQL
> >
> > > server both on an external thumb drive.  I have copied the installation
> > > directory of the Hippo viewer to the thumb as well but discovered that
> >
> > when
> >
> > > I made changes to the viewer those changes were ignored when loading on
> > > a different computer.
> > >
> > >      I realized the viewer settings are all saved to the system
> > > registry (I'm using Windows XP).  Would it be possible to instead
> > > compile a viewer
> >
> > so
> >
> > > that all internal changes are instead saved to an ini file - like
> > > OpenSim is?  This way a person could have a truly 100% portable copy of
> > > OpenSim, MySQL server and viewer all on a thumb drive and keeping all
> > > settings
> >
> > intact
> >
> > > when going from system to system.
> > >
> > > Thanks for any input on this!
> > >
> > > - Len W. Brown
> > >      [hidden email]

Re: Making Viewer Portable

Len W. Brown
Well, thing is - that is just one of many different settings that need to be controlled.

If you go into the file menu "Edit" and then "Preferences" and adjust such things as "Hide My Name On My Screen" and Graphics settings, and audio and video settings - ANYTHING that is adjusted in Preferences - those settings are all controlled outside of the viewer.

Try this - whatever viewer you use, Second Life, Hippo and ReXtend, copy the folder that is in Program Files to a thumb drive and run it from the thumb drive.  Change a number of the settings in Preferences.  Then exit the viewer and remove the thumb drive and plug it into a different pc.  ALL settings are at default when you start up the viewer.  The first obvious one is that you will find the First Name and Last Name and Password fields are all blank when they should be pre-filled.  When you do log in you'll find that everything in Preferences has defaulted right back to the initial settings as if you installed the viewer for the first time.

I used VMWare's "Thinstall" application to attempt to make the viewer portable that way, but it would be MUCH simpler to just have the viewer save all Preference settings to an ini file instead of via system registry.

If you open a command window (click Start, Run, then type in regedit and hit enter.  Then click Edit then Find and type in "Second Life" and repeatedly click F3 for "find next" you'll find lots and lots of references in the registry to Second Life (of whatever viewer you're using).

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 3:40 AM, Jeroen van Veen <[hidden email]> wrote:
did you checked out the cache-entry in app_settings/settings.xml ? =>

   <key>CacheLocation</key>
   <map>
     <key>Comment</key>
     <string>Controls the location of the local disk cache</string>
     <key>Persist</key>
     <integer>1</integer>
     <key>Type</key>
     <string>String</string>
     <key>Value</key>
     <string />
   </map>

jeroen

On Friday 05 June 2009 04:55:05 Len Brown wrote:
> Right on.  That is where the cache is stored by default.  That can be
> changed in the application BUT those settings are all stored as registry
> settings.  Those settings are what I'd like to have as an ini file rather
> than registry settings.
>
> For example, if you go into Second Life and change the cache to be stored
> on a thumb drive along with the main application, if you plug the thumb
> into a different computer and run Second Life, all the settings revert to
> default, including the default cache storage location you pointed out.
>
> On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 11:29 PM, Teravus Ovares <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I thought it was stored in:
> >
> > C:\Documents and Settings\<Windows UserName>\Application Data\SecondLife
> >
> > Regards
> >

> > Teravus
> >
> > On 6/4/09, Len Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Hey there everyone!
> > >
> > >      Recently I've been working on making the Open Simulator Virtual
> >
> > World
> >
> > > Platform 100% portable.  I've set up the OpenSim server and a separate
> >
> > MySQL
> >
> > > server both on an external thumb drive.  I have copied the installation
> > > directory of the Hippo viewer to the thumb as well but discovered that
> >
> > when
> >
> > > I made changes to the viewer those changes were ignored when loading on
> > > a different computer.
> > >
> > >      I realized the viewer settings are all saved to the system
> > > registry (I'm using Windows XP).  Would it be possible to instead
> > > compile a viewer
> >
> > so
> >
> > > that all internal changes are instead saved to an ini file - like
> > > OpenSim is?  This way a person could have a truly 100% portable copy of
> > > OpenSim, MySQL server and viewer all on a thumb drive and keeping all
> > > settings
> >
> > intact
> >
> > > when going from system to system.
> > >
> > > Thanks for any input on this!
> > >
> > > - Len W. Brown
> > >      [hidden email]

Re: Making Viewer Portable

Ethan Gardener
On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 21:47:31 -0500
Len Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey there everyone!
>
>      Recently I've been working on making the Open Simulator Virtual World
> Platform 100% portable.  I've set up the OpenSim server and a separate MySQL
> server both on an external thumb drive.  I have copied the installation
> directory of the Hippo viewer to the thumb as well but discovered that when
> I made changes to the viewer those changes were ignored when loading on a
> different computer.
>
>      I realized the viewer settings are all saved to the system registry
> (I'm using Windows XP).  Would it be possible to instead compile a viewer so
> that all internal changes are instead saved to an ini file - like OpenSim
> is?  This way a person could have a truly 100% portable copy of OpenSim,
> MySQL server and viewer all on a thumb drive and keeping all settings intact
> when going from system to system.
>
> Thanks for any input on this!
>
> - Len W. Brown
>      [hidden email]

Try getting all platforms to do the same as the Linux viewer. In Linux all preferences, cache, chat logs and browser profile are stored in a .secondlife folder in the user's home folder. You'd want to change the path in the source, which is a bit hard to find if I remember right. I'd try searching the source for ".secondlife" and "HOME", the latter being the environment variable containing the path to the current user's home.

BTW the Hippo viewer uses .hippo_opensim_viewer instead of .secondlife so if you're having trouble finding it you could look at the hippo viewer patches.

--
Ethan Grammatikidis
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne. -- Chaucer

Re: Making Viewer Portable

Lúthien Athariel
Hi,

possibly you've already seen this before, but just in case:

http://portableapps.com/node/15340

- l

2009/6/5 Ethan Grammatikidis <[hidden email]>
On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 21:47:31 -0500
Len Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]
 I have copied the installation
> directory of the Hippo viewer to the thumb as well but discovered that when
> I made changes to the viewer those changes were ignored when loading on a
> different computer.
>
>      I realized the viewer settings are all saved to the system registry
> (I'm using Windows XP).  Would it be possible to instead compile a viewer so
> that all internal changes are instead saved to an ini file - like OpenSim
> is?  This way a person could have a truly 100% portable copy of OpenSim,
> MySQL server and viewer all on a thumb drive and keeping all settings intact
> when going from system to system.

Re: Making Viewer Portable

Len W. Brown
Actually I missed that!  I followed a few links from there and found exactly the information I was looking for (I think).  I'll try and test it all out this afternoon and see if it's as stated.

BTW, for those interested, I discovered that if I install XAMPP (www.apachefriends.org) I can run MySQL from a thumb and configure OpenSim to use MySQL using the standard information found various places online.  This way I can insure that even my "external" MySQL database can easily be backed up along with OpenSim.

To make things even easier, I downloaded the Portable Apps launcher base (http://portableapps.com/download) and then installed XAMPP linked from the same site along with the XAMPP launcher.  The only things that would really make my day (and I am currently working on accomplishing this) is to launch OpenSim and the viewer of choice from the Portable Apps launcher so that OpenSim, the MySQL database and the Viewer can all be launched directly from a thumb drive and all data saved to it as well.

:)

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 9:02 AM, Lúthien Athariel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

possibly you've already seen this before, but just in case:

http://portableapps.com/node/15340

- l

2009/6/5 Ethan Grammatikidis <[hidden email]>
On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 21:47:31 -0500
Len Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]
 I have copied the installation
> directory of the Hippo viewer to the thumb as well but discovered that when
> I made changes to the viewer those changes were ignored when loading on a
> different computer.
>
>      I realized the viewer settings are all saved to the system registry
> (I'm using Windows XP).  Would it be possible to instead compile a viewer so
> that all internal changes are instead saved to an ini file - like OpenSim
> is?  This way a person could have a truly 100% portable copy of OpenSim,
> MySQL server and viewer all on a thumb drive and keeping all settings intact
> when going from system to system.

Re: Making Viewer Portable

Dirk Krause
cool idea in general.

But wouldnt it be easier to have the low-end sqlite if it's supposed to be portable (as in very standalone)?

Actually I missed that!  I followed a few links from there and found exactly
the information I was looking for (I think).  I'll try and test it all out
this afternoon and see if it's as stated.

BTW, for those interested, I discovered that if I install XAMPP (
www.apachefriends.org) I can run MySQL from a thumb and configure OpenSim to
use MySQL using the standard information found various places online.  This
way I can insure that even my "external" MySQL database can easily be backed
up along with OpenSim.

To make things even easier, I downloaded the Portable Apps launcher base (
http://portableapps.com/download) and then installed XAMPP linked from the
same site along with the XAMPP launcher.  The only things that would really
make my day (and I am currently working on accomplishing this) is to launch
OpenSim and the viewer of choice from the Portable Apps launcher so that
OpenSim, the MySQL database and the Viewer can all be launched directly from
a thumb drive and all data saved to it as well.

:)

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 9:02 AM, Lúthien Athariel <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> possibly you've already seen this before, but just in case:
>
> http://portableapps.com/node/15340
>
> - l
>
> 2009/6/5 Ethan Grammatikidis <[hidden email]>
>
>> On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 21:47:31 -0500
>> Len Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> [...]
>>  I have copied the installation
>> > directory of the Hippo viewer to the thumb as well but discovered that
>> when
>> > I made changes to the viewer those changes were ignored when loading on
>> > different computer.
>> >
>> >      I realized the viewer settings are all saved to the system registry
>> > (I'm using Windows XP).  Would it be possible to instead compile a
>> viewer so
>> > that all internal changes are instead saved to an ini file - like
>> OpenSim
>> > is?  This way a person could have a truly 100% portable copy of OpenSim,
>> > MySQL server and viewer all on a thumb drive and keeping all settings
>> intact
>> > when going from system to system.

winmail.dat (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Making Viewer Portable

Len W. Brown
No, SQLite is WAY too weak for any real building and scripting.  The main reason I went with MySQL is because if using the SQLite you do not have what is called "persistence."

For example, with the internal SQLite, if you put on a new skin and clothing, when you shutdown and restart OpenSim you return to the default Ruth and have to put your skin, clothing, and shape, etc back on EVERY time you restart.

But with MySQL all those settings are preserved, so you can log out, reboot the system even, and when you load everything back up and log in, your skin, shape, clothing, etc are all instact just as you left them when you were last logged in.

That is just one of several reasons why MySQL is superior to SQLite, in my humble opinion...

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 1:25 PM, Dirk Krause <[hidden email]> wrote:
cool idea in general.

But wouldnt it be easier to have the low-end sqlite if it's supposed to be portable (as in very standalone)?

Actually I missed that!  I followed a few links from there and found exactly
the information I was looking for (I think).  I'll try and test it all out
this afternoon and see if it's as stated.

BTW, for those interested, I discovered that if I install XAMPP (
www.apachefriends.org) I can run MySQL from a thumb and configure OpenSim to
use MySQL using the standard information found various places online.  This
way I can insure that even my "external" MySQL database can easily be backed
up along with OpenSim.

To make things even easier, I downloaded the Portable Apps launcher base (
http://portableapps.com/download) and then installed XAMPP linked from the
same site along with the XAMPP launcher.  The only things that would really
make my day (and I am currently working on accomplishing this) is to launch
OpenSim and the viewer of choice from the Portable Apps launcher so that
OpenSim, the MySQL database and the Viewer can all be launched directly from
a thumb drive and all data saved to it as well.

:)

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 9:02 AM, Lúthien Athariel <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> possibly you've already seen this before, but just in case:
>
> http://portableapps.com/node/15340
>
> - l
>
> 2009/6/5 Ethan Grammatikidis <[hidden email]>
>
>> On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 21:47:31 -0500
>> Len Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> [...]
>>  I have copied the installation
>> > directory of the Hippo viewer to the thumb as well but discovered that
>> when
>> > I made changes to the viewer those changes were ignored when loading on
>> > different computer.
>> >
>> >      I realized the viewer settings are all saved to the system registry
>> > (I'm using Windows XP).  Would it be possible to instead compile a
>> viewer so
>> > that all internal changes are instead saved to an ini file - like
>> OpenSim
>> > is?  This way a person could have a truly 100% portable copy of OpenSim,
>> > MySQL server and viewer all on a thumb drive and keeping all settings
>> intact
>> > when going from system to system.

Re: Viewer Making Portable

drwhiet@spacefriends.de
does not compute quote: "as in very standalone rule43"

regards,
Word :-)

An: [hidden email]

cool idea in general. But wouldnt it be easier to have the low-end sqlite if it's supposed to be portable (as in very standalone)?

Re: Save OAR .9795 and .9785 / migration from sqllite to mysql ..

drwhiet@spacefriends.de
i am running Windows Xp and have no success saving oar files on both versions OAR .9795 and .9785.
tried it several times and only once  1 sim out of 6 was saved without errors ..
i could provide more information if i knew which infos you need ..

Also tried it with just a single sim connected to the grid to not stress the console but without any luck ..

the sims itself are running much better than with the .9700

Are there any recommendations  on the  file extension .. has it to be  .oar or can i use the extension i like.

And is there another way of  migration from sqllite to mysql  besides  save oar / load oar ?

best regards
Word

P.S: this is no complaint .. just a information  .. ty very much Developers for all your hard work
you provide for us .. this is really appreciated.

Actually I missed that!  I followed a few links from there and found exactly
the information I was looking for (I think).  I'll try and test it all out
this afternoon and see if it's as stated.

BTW, for those interested, I discovered that if I install XAMPP (
www.apachefriends.org) I can run MySQL from a thumb and configure OpenSim to
use MySQL using the standard information found various places online.  This
way I can insure that even my "external" MySQL database can easily be backed
up along with OpenSim.

To make things even easier, I downloaded the Portable Apps launcher base (
http://portableapps.com/download) and then installed XAMPP linked from the
same site along with the XAMPP launcher.  The only things that would really
make my day (and I am currently working on accomplishing this) is to launch
OpenSim and the viewer of choice from the Portable Apps launcher so that
OpenSim, the MySQL database and the Viewer can all be launched directly from
a thumb drive and all data saved to it as well.

:)

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 9:02 AM, Lúthien Athariel <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> possibly you've already seen this before, but just in case:
>
> http://portableapps.com/node/15340
>
> - l
>
> 2009/6/5 Ethan Grammatikidis <[hidden email]>
>
>> On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 21:47:31 -0500
>> Len Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> [...]
>>  I have copied the installation
>> > directory of the Hippo viewer to the thumb as well but discovered that
>> when
>> > I made changes to the viewer those changes were ignored when loading on
>> > different computer.
>> >
>> >      I realized the viewer settings are all saved to the system registry
>> > (I'm using Windows XP).  Would it be possible to instead compile a
>> viewer so
>> > that all internal changes are instead saved to an ini file - like
>> OpenSim
>> > is?  This way a person could have a truly 100% portable copy of OpenSim,
>> > MySQL server and viewer all on a thumb drive and keeping all settings
>> intact
>> > when going from system to system.

Re: Save OAR .9795 and .9785 / migration fromsqllite to mysql ..

drwhiet@spacefriends.de
tested further and it seems that up to 80 prims the save oar works. higher that that i can not save oars.

Skulligans Island 2

Dilatn SimFPS PhysFPS AgntUp RootAg ChldAg Prims ATvPrm AtvScr ScrLPS
0.9493334 53.33333 46.66667 0 0 0 76 0 8 1.666667
FrmMS AgtMS PhysMS OthrMS ScrLPS OutPPS InPPS NoAckKB PndDWN PndUP
0 0 0 0 1.666667 0 0 0 0 0

Skulligans Island

Dilatn SimFPS PhysFPS AgntUp RootAg ChldAg Prims ATvPrm AtvScr ScrLPS
0.9493334 53.33333 46.66667 0 0 0 85 0 14 1.666667
FrmMS AgtMS PhysMS OthrMS ScrLPS OutPPS InPPS NoAckKB PndDWN PndUP
0 0 0 0 1.666667 0 0 0 0 0

ActiveLog

16:39:42 - [ARCHIVER] : Added region settings to archive.
16:39:42 - [ARCHIVER] : Added terrain information to archive.
16:39:42 - [ARCHIVER] : Added scene objects to archive.
16:39:42 - [ARCHIVER] : Finished writing out OAR for Skulligans Island 2

2009-06-06 16:40:20,781 INFO - OpenSim.OpenSim Currently selected region is Skulligans Island 22009-06-06 16:40:33,250 INFO - OpenSim.OpenSim Currently selected region is Skulligans Island16:40:44 - [ARCHIVER] : Writing archive for region Skulligans Island to skull.oar
16:40:44 - [
ARCHIVER] : 82 scene objects to serialize requiring save of 47 assets
16:40:44 - [
ARCHIVER] : AssetsRequest executed looking for 48 assets

the console is still giving me feedback from the sims and it is also possible to TP to that sim
walk around and do things without problems. but i can not enter any console commands ..

i tried that on .9700 .9785 .9797 .9798

Actually I missed that!  I followed a few links from there and found exactly
the information I was looking for (I think).  I'll try and test it all out
this afternoon and see if it's as stated.

BTW, for those interested, I discovered that if I install XAMPP (
www.apachefriends.org) I can run MySQL from a thumb and configure OpenSim to
use MySQL using the standard information found various places online.  This
way I can insure that even my "external" MySQL database can easily be backed
up along with OpenSim.

To make things even easier, I downloaded the Portable Apps launcher base (
http://portableapps.com/download) and then installed XAMPP linked from the
same site along with the XAMPP launcher.  The only things that would really
make my day (and I am currently working on accomplishing this) is to launch
OpenSim and the viewer of choice from the Portable Apps launcher so that
OpenSim, the MySQL database and the Viewer can all be launched directly from
a thumb drive and all data saved to it as well.

:)

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 9:02 AM, Lúthien Athariel <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> possibly you've already seen this before, but just in case:
>
> http://portableapps.com/node/15340
>
> - l
>
> 2009/6/5 Ethan Grammatikidis <[hidden email]>
>
>> On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 21:47:31 -0500
>> Len Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> [...]
>>  I have copied the installation
>> > directory of the Hippo viewer to the thumb as well but discovered that
>> when
>> > I made changes to the viewer those changes were ignored when loading on
>> > different computer.
>> >
>> >      I realized the viewer settings are all saved to the system registry
>> > (I'm using Windows XP).  Would it be possible to instead compile a
>> viewer so
>> > that all internal changes are instead saved to an ini file - like
>> OpenSim
>> > is?  This way a person could have a truly 100% portable copy of OpenSim,
>> > MySQL server and viewer all on a thumb drive and keeping all settings
>> intact
>> > when going from system to system.

Re: Save OAR .9795 and .9785 / migrationfromsqllite to mysql ..

drwhiet@spacefriends.de
17:20:07 - [ARCHIVER] : Writing archive for region New Judyka to newjudyka.oar
17:20:07 - [ARCHIVER] : 64 scene objects to serialize requiring save of 106 assets
17:20:07 - [ARCHIVER] : AssetsRequest executed looking for 106 assets
17:20:10 - [ARCHIVER] : Added 50 assets to archive

2009-06-06 17:20:07,312 INFO  - OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.World.Archiver.ArchiverModule [ARCHIVER]: Writing archive for region New Judyka to newjudyka.oar
2009-06-06 17:20:07,312 DEBUG - OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.World.Archiver.ArchiveWriteRequestPreparation [ARCHIVER]: 64 scene objects to serialize requiring save of 106 assets
2009-06-06 17:20:07,312 DEBUG - OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.World.Archiver.AssetsRequest [ARCHIVER]: AssetsRequest executed looking for 106 assets
2009-06-06 17:20:10,234 INFO  - OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.World.Archiver.AssetsArchiver [ARCHIVER]: Added 50 assets to archive
2009-06-06 17:20:49,500 ERROR - OpenSim.Application [APPLICATION]:
APPLICATION EXCEPTION DETECTED: System.UnhandledExceptionEventArgs

Exception: System.Net.WebException: Die Verbindung mit dem Remoteserver kann nicht hergestellt werden. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: Ein Verbindungsversuch ist fehlgeschlagen, da die Gegenstelle nach einer bestimmten Zeitspanne nicht ordnungsgemäß reagiert hat, oder die hergestellte Verbindung war fehlerhaft, da der verbundene Host nicht reagiert hat 66.240.232.122:8003
   bei System.Net.Sockets.Socket.EndConnect(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
   bei System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout, Exception& exception)
   --- Ende der internen Ausnahmestapelüberwachung ---
   bei System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
   bei OpenSim.Framework.Servers.HttpServer.AsynchronousRestObjectRequester.<>c__DisplayClass3`2.<MakeRequest>b__2(IAsyncResult res2) in D:\OSGRID\OSGRID RELEASES\osgrid.release.9785\OpenSim\Framework\Servers\HttpServer\AsynchronousRestObjectRequester.cs:Zeile 111.
   bei System.Net.LazyAsyncResult.Complete(IntPtr userToken)
   bei System.Net.ContextAwareResult.CompleteCallback(Object state)
   bei System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   bei System.Net.ContextAwareResult.Complete(IntPtr userToken)
   bei System.Net.LazyAsyncResult.ProtectedInvokeCallback(Object result, IntPtr userToken)
   bei System.Net.HttpWebRequest.SetResponse(Exception E)
   bei System.Net.HttpWebRequest.SetAndOrProcessResponse(Object responseOrException)
   bei System.Net.ConnectionReturnResult.SetResponses(ConnectionReturnResult returnResult)
   bei System.Net.Connection.CompleteConnectionWrapper(Object request, Object state)
   bei System.Net.PooledStream.ConnectionCallback(Object owningObject, Exception e, Socket socket, IPAddress address)
   bei System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketCallback(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
   bei System.Net.LazyAsyncResult.Complete(IntPtr userToken)
   bei System.Net.ContextAwareResult.Complete(IntPtr userToken)
   bei System.Net.LazyAsyncResult.ProtectedInvokeCallback(Object result, IntPtr userToken)
   bei System.Net.Sockets.BaseOverlappedAsyncResult.CompletionPortCallback(UInt32 errorCode, UInt32 numBytes, NativeOverlapped* nativeOverlapped)
   bei System.Threading._IOCompletionCallback.PerformIOCompletionCallback(UInt32 errorCode, UInt32 numBytes, NativeOverlapped* pOVERLAP)
InnerException: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: Ein Verbindungsversuch ist fehlgeschlagen, da die Gegenstelle nach einer bestimmten Zeitspanne nicht ordnungsgemäß reagiert hat, oder die hergestellte Verbindung war fehlerhaft, da der verbundene Host nicht reagiert hat 66.240.232.122:8003
   bei System.Net.Sockets.Socket.EndConnect(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
   bei System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout, Exception& exception)

Application is terminating: True

Actually I missed that!  I followed a few links from there and found exactly
the information I was looking for (I think).  I'll try and test it all out
this afternoon and see if it's as stated.

BTW, for those interested, I discovered that if I install XAMPP (
www.apachefriends.org) I can run MySQL from a thumb and configure OpenSim to
use MySQL using the standard information found various places online.  This
way I can insure that even my "external" MySQL database can easily be backed
up along with OpenSim.

To make things even easier, I downloaded the Portable Apps launcher base (
http://portableapps.com/download) and then installed XAMPP linked from the
same site along with the XAMPP launcher.  The only things that would really
make my day (and I am currently working on accomplishing this) is to launch
OpenSim and the viewer of choice from the Portable Apps launcher so that
OpenSim, the MySQL database and the Viewer can all be launched directly from
a thumb drive and all data saved to it as well.

:)

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 9:02 AM, Lúthien Athariel <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> possibly you've already seen this before, but just in case:
>
> http://portableapps.com/node/15340
>
> - l
>
> 2009/6/5 Ethan Grammatikidis <[hidden email]>
>
>> On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 21:47:31 -0500
>> Len Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> [...]
>>  I have copied the installation
>> > directory of the Hippo viewer to the thumb as well but discovered that
>> when
>> > I made changes to the viewer those changes were ignored when loading on
>> > different computer.
>> >
>> >      I realized the viewer settings are all saved to the system registry
>> > (I'm using Windows XP).  Would it be possible to instead compile a
>> viewer so
>> > that all internal changes are instead saved to an ini file - like
>> OpenSim
>> > is?  This way a person could have a truly 100% portable copy of OpenSim,
>> > MySQL server and viewer all on a thumb drive and keeping all settings
>> intact
>> > when going from system to system.

Re: how to find out .net version installed ..

drwhiet@spacefriends.de
If oyu like to find out which .net version and kb patches you have installed
you can use following utility : http://www.dzaebel.net/NetVersions.htm

too bad MS did not included this like the direct X check ..

anyhow .. this batch file will help you ..

mine is :  3.5.30729.196

best regards
Word