Map config wiki page

justincc
FYI, for anybody who has been confused in the past with setting up map serving from OpenSimulator, I wrote a new page
[1] detailing the various settings for the viewer v1 and v2/v3 mechanisms.  Some of it is from memory but I believe it's
reasonably accurate.  This is also linked from the main user and dev pages.

[1] http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Map

OSVW Consulting

Re: Map config wiki page

Bob Wellman
@Justin...

Our PMgrid didn't display map tiles using Firestorm (V3 based) so your link was useful. After we implemented the changes in the link I logged in to PMgrid and hey presto the map displayed [btw: this displays faster than with the Imprudence (v1 based) viewer].

I did a little more testing on this and wanted to share my findings.

1) FIRESTORM: Log into PMgrid and the PMgrid grid map displays fine. My PMgrid avatar then HGs to UOBgrid and it does not display map tiles in UOBgrid.

2) FIRESTORM: Log into UOBgrid and the UOB grid map displays fine (so they must have those v3 map changes in). My UOB avatar then HGs to PMgrid and it does not display map tiles in PMgrid.

3) IMPRUDENCE: Log into PMgrid and the PMgrid grid map displays fine. My PMgrid avatar then HGs to UOBgrid and it displays map tiles in UOBgrid no problem.

4) IMPRUDENCE: Log into UOBgrid and the UOBgrid grid map displays fine. My UOBgrid avatar then HGs to PMgrid and it displays map tiles in PMgrid no problem.

It seems that whilst the v1 map tiling works via hypergrid the v2/v3 one doesn't. Can this be fixed easily?

Re: Map config wiki page

Diva Canto
On 10/14/2012 12:38 AM, Bob Wellman wrote:
> It seems that whilst the v1 map tiling works via hypergrid the v2/v3 one
> doesn't. Can this be fixed easily?

Unfortunately, no. V2/V3's map feature architecture is completely
different from what it was in V1. I will be adding a capability that
allows viewers to adjust the map service when people HG. I hope viewer
developers take advantage of it.