Media on a prim

12

Media on a prim

xristina volioti

Hello once more,

I would like to ask if I can have media on a prim and not a pop up web browser. The truth is that I'm lost in the information.. :) because although I found videos and sites which shows how to do it, I cannot do it. I'm using Phoenix viewer.. also I found that Firestorm can support this. I have downloaded, but I cannot add a new grid...apart from the recommended ones...

Thank you a lot in advance!

Best regards,

Christina

Re: Media on a prim

xristina volioti

Hi,

I also want to add that I used Firestorm in Second life, I built the prim and it worked pefectly. Also I found this
http://opensim-users.2152040.n2.nabble.com/Firestorm-Release-and-adding-custom-OpenSim-servers-td7274391.html
and I changed from the grids.user.xml file this 127.0.0.1 to my IP
<key>loginuri</key>
<string>http://127.0.0.1:9000/</string>

But unfortunately it says that "Login failed". I think that smth I do wrong...

Thank you once more!!
Best regards,
Christina

Re: Media on a prim

xristina volioti

Ok I found my mistake..!!It works! Thank you!

Re: Media on a prim

drwhiet@spacefriends.de
a nice thing would be if you could describe your "error" and your solution,
so others can use this information if they search for help.

best regards,
Wordfromthe Wise

Ok I found my mistake..!!It works! Thank you!

Re: Media on a prim

xristina volioti

Hi,

It was a silly mistake..in the loginurl copy paste...nothing important..Embarrased smile
the problem now is with the sounds again... I cannot hear them...

Ok I found my mistake..!!It works! Thank you!

Re: Media on a prim

xristina volioti

Hi,

I used Firestorm and I cannot hear at all sounds from objects or sounds in the parcel general, although I can hear perfectly the media on a prim. I used Firestorm to the Second Life and everything played correctly, so the problem may lie somewhere in OpenSim..

I want to use both of them (media on a prim and sounds from objects), so do you have any idea what the problem would be? Or do you have any idea if I can use another viewer which can combine these 2 things? For example, SL viewer, but I cannot add new grid.. Also I used Phoenix where the sounds from objects played correctly but I cannot have media on a prim..:S

Thank you for your help!!!

Best regards,
Christina

Re: Media on a prim

Fleep Tuque
Unfortunately it sounds like these are viewer related issues with how they communicate with Opensim, particularly if a sound plays on Phoenix but not Firestorm, which are both developed by the same group.  Your best bet would probably be to contact them for support or see if others have reported these issues on their support forums.

In terms of which viewers have which features, and particularly the mix of features you need, the best resource I know of for comparing them is Misfit's Index of Viewers at http://excelsior-station.wikidot.com/misfit-s-index-of-viewers-miv.  I don't know that sound issues/bugs will be noted there, but it can at least show you which viewers have grid managers and MOAP and I guess you'd have to test from there.

Good luck!

- Chris/Fleep

Chris M. Collins (SL/OS: Fleep Tuque)
Center for Simulations & Virtual Environments Research (UCSIM)
UCIT Instructional & Research Computing
University of Cincinnati
406A Zimmer Hall
315 College Drive
PO BOX 210088
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0088
(513) 556-3018

http://ucsim.uc.edu

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 6:37 AM, xristina volioti <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I used Firestorm and I cannot hear at all sounds from objects or sounds in the parcel general, although I can hear perfectly the media on a prim. I used Firestorm to the Second Life and everything played correctly, so the problem may lie somewhere in OpenSim..

I want to use both of them (media on a prim and sounds from objects), so do you have any idea what the problem would be? Or do you have any idea if I can use another viewer which can combine these 2 things? For example, SL viewer, but I cannot add new grid.. Also I used Phoenix where the sounds from objects played correctly but I cannot have media on a prim..:S

Thank you for your help!!!

Best regards,
Christina

Re: Media on a prim

drwhiet@spacefriends.de
mayby you should try the trick i told you in en email (Nov 8) before ;
i have that issue in all newer viewers (on windows7 64bit)..
PREFRENCES / GENERAL / RATING setting is set to :
I want to access content rated PG & MATURE and PG & MATURE & ADULT
After that in Singularity, Imprudence and Phoenix/Firestorm* sound started playing (after the sound assets where downloaded - took some times) ..
if not try downloading the Singularity and see if it is a real Imprudence problem.

best regards,
Wordfromthe Wise

Re: Media on a prim

xristina volioti

Hi,

yes I've tried it but the problem was the same..

I tried this which solve it.. I'm using Firestorm with the default settings of Phoenix (not the Firestorm's), so I have both sound from objects and media on a prim!

Thank you a lot for your help and support!

Something last, do you know how to play sounds from objects in a queue?

I searched different scripts but the 2 sounds play simultaneously!

Thank you once more!

Re: Media on a prim

justincc
This would be llSetSoundQueueing() but unfortunately this is not yet implemented.

On 17/11/12 19:18, xristina volioti wrote:

> Hi,
>
> yes I've tried it but the problem was the same..
>
> I tried this which solve it.. I'm using Firestorm with the default settings of Phoenix (not the Firestorm's), so I have
> both sound from objects and media on a prim!
>
> Thank you a lot for your help and support!
>
> Something last, do you know how to play sounds from objects in a queue?
>
> I searched different scripts but the 2 sounds play simultaneously!
>
> Thank you once more!

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 00:30:07 +0100
> Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] Media on a prim
>
> mayby you should try the trick i told you in en email (Nov 8) before ;
> i have that issue in all newer viewers (on windows7 64bit)..
>
> PREFRENCES / GENERAL / RATING setting is set to :
> I want to access content rated PG & MATURE and PG & MATURE & ADULT
>
> After that in Singularity, Imprudence and Phoenix/Firestorm* sound started playing (after the sound assets where
> downloaded - took some times) ..
> if not try downloading the Singularity and see if it is a real Imprudence problem.
> best regards,
> Wordfromthe Wise

OSVW Consulting

Re: Media on a prim

xristina volioti

Hi,

yes I found this function, I have also sent an email about it asking if there is another way...

Thank you!

> Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 04:52:16 +0000

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] Media on a prim
>
> This would be llSetSoundQueueing() but unfortunately this is not yet implemented.
>
> On 17/11/12 19:18, xristina volioti wrote:
> >

> > Hi,
> >
> > yes I've tried it but the problem was the same..
> >
> > I tried this which solve it.. I'm using Firestorm with the default settings of Phoenix (not the Firestorm's), so I have
> > both sound from objects and media on a prim!
> >
> > Thank you a lot for your help and support!
> >
> > Something last, do you know how to play sounds from objects in a queue?
> >
> > I searched different scripts but the 2 sounds play simultaneously!
> >
> > Thank you once more!
> >

> > ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > From: [hidden email]
> > To: [hidden email]
> > Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 00:30:07 +0100
> > Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] Media on a prim
> >
> > mayby you should try the trick i told you in en email (Nov 8) before ;
> > i have that issue in all newer viewers (on windows7 64bit)..
> >
> > PREFRENCES / GENERAL / RATING setting is set to :
> > I want to access content rated PG & MATURE and PG & MATURE & ADULT
> >
> > After that in Singularity, Imprudence and Phoenix/Firestorm* sound started playing (after the sound assets where
> > downloaded - took some times) ..
> > if not try downloading the Singularity and see if it is a real Imprudence problem.
> > best regards,
> > Wordfromthe Wise
> >
> > ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

web browser and flash application

xristina volioti

Hello,

I have done an interactive online flash application which I want to play it through a wed browser into OpenSim.
Do you know how to synchronise the slides in order to two avatars see the same? My problem is that, although other web pages, such as google plays simultaneously (with a small delay but it plays), my flash application doesn't play at the same time, also if my avatar clicks one button from the flash application, the action is not responding to another avatar's web browser.

Does anyone know something about it?

Thank you a lot in advance!!
Best regards,
Christina

Re: web browser and flash application

justincc
Unfortunately, since each viewer is directly connecting to the flash application, it's the flash application that would
have to perform this co-ordination, through ajax or something similar.  Google docs, for instance, does this so that
people can see each other's edits over the web.

On 14/01/13 23:40, xristina volioti wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have done an interactive online flash application which I want to play it through a wed browser into OpenSim.
> Do you know how to synchronise the slides in order to two avatars see the same? My problem is that, although other web
> pages, such as google plays simultaneously (with a small delay but it plays), my flash application doesn't play at the
> same time, also if my avatar clicks one button from the flash application, the action is not responding to another
> avatar's web browser.
>
> Does anyone know something about it?
>
> Thank you a lot in advance!!
> Best regards,
> Christina

OSVW Consulting

Re: web browser and flash application

xristina volioti

Thank you a lot!

I' ve tried something easier with articulate and I published to a site, but it doesn't play them at the same time. : (
Do you know any program in order to create simple interactive and collaborative slides to a web on prim in Opensim? For example with slideshare?? I've tried google powerpoint but it doesn't support sound to slides.
Or do you know where to ask this?

Thank you once more!

> Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 01:00:45 +0000

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] web browser and flash application
>
> Unfortunately, since each viewer is directly connecting to the flash application, it's the flash application that would
> have to perform this co-ordination, through ajax or something similar. Google docs, for instance, does this so that
> people can see each other's edits over the web.
>
> On 14/01/13 23:40, xristina volioti wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have done an interactive online flash application which I want to play it through a wed browser into OpenSim.
> > Do you know how to synchronise the slides in order to two avatars see the same? My problem is that, although other web
> > pages, such as google plays simultaneously (with a small delay but it plays), my flash application doesn't play at the
> > same time, also if my avatar clicks one button from the flash application, the action is not responding to another
> > avatar's web browser.
> >
> > Does anyone know something about it?
> >
> > Thank you a lot in advance!!
> > Best regards,
> > Christina

> Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
> OSVW Consulting
> http://justincc.org
> http://twitter.com/justincc

Re: Media on a prim

paul emery
Using Phoenix-firestorm Top left menu
Viewer/Preferences
on this screen bottom option Opensim
Should be able to add new grid

Media on a prim
http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Shared-Media/ta-p/700145

Re: web browser and flash application

xristina volioti

I also want to add that neither a youtube video played at the same time from two different computers, but to the same browser (media on a prim). Is something that I made wrong?
Only simple web pages played simultaneously.

Thank you a lot!

From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 12:13:05 +0200
Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] web browser and flash application

Thank you a lot!

I' ve tried something easier with articulate and I published to a site, but it doesn't play them at the same time. : (
Do you know any program in order to create simple interactive and collaborative slides to a web on prim in Opensim? For example with slideshare?? I've tried google powerpoint but it doesn't support sound to slides.
Or do you know where to ask this?

Thank you once more!

> Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 01:00:45 +0000

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] web browser and flash application
>
> Unfortunately, since each viewer is directly connecting to the flash application, it's the flash application that would
> have to perform this co-ordination, through ajax or something similar. Google docs, for instance, does this so that
> people can see each other's edits over the web.
>
> On 14/01/13 23:40, xristina volioti wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have done an interactive online flash application which I want to play it through a wed browser into OpenSim.
> > Do you know how to synchronise the slides in order to two avatars see the same? My problem is that, although other web
> > pages, such as google plays simultaneously (with a small delay but it plays), my flash application doesn't play at the
> > same time, also if my avatar clicks one button from the flash application, the action is not responding to another
> > avatar's web browser.
> >
> > Does anyone know something about it?
> >
> > Thank you a lot in advance!!
> > Best regards,
> > Christina

> Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
> OSVW Consulting
> http://justincc.org
> http://twitter.com/justincc

Re: web browser and flash application

justincc
You want to search for tools which allow real time presentation over the web, since it's the web you are using from
media on a prim and not the simulator itself.

A quick google for "web real time presentation" brings up a few, such as blacktonic and prezi.  I've no idea how good
any of these tools are.

Alternatively, for presentations in particular I know there are various LSL simulator tools (not media on a prim) which
implement a slideshow.  Unfortunately, I can't help with specifics of where to find these for OpenSim or whether any are
available in IARs.  On a quick google, there's a very primitive script at [1] but I didn't write it so I can't help
further (and part is in german!).

I'm not terribly surprised youtube doesn't appear simultaneously.  Different computers will take different speeds to
load and play the video.

[1] http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Presentation_Board

On 16/01/13 13:52, xristina volioti wrote:

> [...]
>  > people can see each other's edits over the web.
>  >
>  > On 14/01/13 23:40, xristina volioti wrote:
>  > >
>  > > Hello,
>  > >
>  > > I have done an interactive online flash application which I want to play it through a wed browser into OpenSim.
>  > > Do you know how to synchronise the slides in order to two avatars see the same? My problem is that, although other web
>  > > pages, such as google plays simultaneously (with a small delay but it plays), my flash application doesn't play at the
>  > > same time, also if my avatar clicks one button from the flash application, the action is not responding to another
>  > > avatar's web browser.
>  > >
>  > > Does anyone know something about it?

InuYasha Meiji
Mmm, you might also want to look into live streaming, like the DJs do in
SL.  Streaming sems to make everyone hear the music and the DJs talking
to everyone all at once.

InuYasha.

On 1/16/2013 7:53 PM, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:

> [...]
>>  > people can see each other's edits over the web.
>>  >
>>  > On 14/01/13 23:40, xristina volioti wrote:
>>  > >
>>  > > Hello,
>>  > >
>>  > > I have done an interactive online flash application which I want
>> to play it through a wed browser into OpenSim.
>>  > > Do you know how to synchronise the slides in order to two
>> avatars see the same? My problem is that, although other web
>>  > > pages, such as google plays simultaneously (with a small delay
>> but it plays), my flash application doesn't play at the
>>  > > same time, also if my avatar clicks one button from the flash
>> application, the action is not responding to another
>>  > > avatar's web browser.
>>  > >
>>  > > Does anyone know something about it?

Opensim User: In Gridmode  on Version 0.7.4. Nine Instances with 56 Regions. on Windows 7, 64-bit. Phenom 9500 2.2 GHz Quad Core, Terabyte Hard Drive, 8gig DDR2 RAM.  Used XAMPP to load PHP Version 5.3.0, Apache
and MySQL 5.1.41-community edition.  Groups, Profiles, Vivox Voice and
Offline Messages all working. (Not yet Public, 6 users allowed Now).

Re: web browser and flash application

xristina volioti

Well, thank you a lot!

Firstly I tried this with the whiteboard, but the interaction is only to go back or forth to the slides, and I want inside the slides to choose from one or more options.
Secondly, when I use the streaming programs, the interaction doesn't work at all, and I've tried the authorstream, another program that has the option of Live present, and although the interaction works the sound doesn't play!! : (
And if a play from somewhere else the sound, it isn't synchronized with the slides!

If you have any idea...please tell me!
Thank you!!
With regards

> [...]

> >> example with slideshare?? I've tried google powerpoint but it doesn't
> >> support sound to slides.
> >> Or do you know where to ask this?
> >>
> >> Thank you once more!

> >> flash application, it's the flash application that would
> >> similar. Google docs, for instance, does this so that

> >> to play it through a wed browser into OpenSim.
> >> avatars see the same? My problem is that, although other web
> >> but it plays), my flash application doesn't play at the
> >> application, the action is not responding to another

> Opensim User: In Gridmode on Version 0.7.4. Nine Instances with 56 Regions. on Windows 7, 64-bit. Phenom 9500 2.2 GHz Quad Core, Terabyte Hard Drive, 8gig DDR2 RAM. Used XAMPP to load PHP Version 5.3.0, Apache
> and MySQL 5.1.41-community edition. Groups, Profiles, Vivox Voice and
> Offline Messages all working. (Not yet Public, 6 users allowed Now).

Hi xristina,

I don't know how the not-really-MOAP-but-kinda-MOAP feature in the last beta version of Imprudence works, but at least on the Second Life viewer in Second Life, the Media on a Prim feature is essentially opening up a different web browser window for each viewer/user - even if it appears like everyone is looking at the same window, they aren't.  This is why synching dynamic content doesn't work very well, even if you could manage to get everyone to look or click at exactly the same time, with network latency and other things, it's never going to be actually synchronized any more than 10 people opening a browser window on separate computers could be synchronized.  Or at least that's my understanding of how things work.

If you actually want to show synchronized content, or allow people to interact with a whiteboard-type web application, I'm afraid all my testing and trials have led me to think it's better to just open a darn web browser outside the viewer.  For videos and the like, as someone else suggested, streaming is a much more reliable alternative.

In the end, I've found that MOAP is useful in limited use-cases for showing relatively static pages.  For the kinds of applications you've been describing, I've ended up thinking MOAP was way more trouble than it was worth, if you can even get what you want to work at all.

That's my experience anyway.

Sincerely,