Mega region pros and cons needed

Lindy (McKeown) Orwin
Hi
Can anyone point out the pros and cons of mega regions or point me to some resource that outlines these?

Thanks
Lindy

--

Lindy (McKeown) Orwin
Second Life and OpenSim Grids  - Decka Mah

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

Re: Mega region pros and cons needed

James Hughes
On 11/26/2011 08:12 PM, Lindy Orwin wrote:
> Hi
> Can anyone point out the pros and cons of mega regions or point me to
> some resource that outlines these?
>
> Thanks
> Lindy

In megaregions, the movement is projected from the "root" region in the
SW corner to the other regions. So, you'll have no border crossing lag
because you really never cross the border. Your agent remains inside the
root region. So, they are very good for playing with vehicles.

Things on a parcel level won't work except in the root region (media,
land ownership, etc.). So, they're not good for splitting up into
parcels. Also, you can only connect them to other regions at the root
region. Entering the megaregion from one of the others is not a pleasant
experience. I don't remember if landscaping works in not-root regions.

BlueWall

Re: Mega region pros and cons needed

As other people have said, the pros are that a megaregion doesn't suffer the border crossing penalty of trnasferring an
avatar from one scene loop to another.

The cons for me though are pretty big.  There are various things which don't work properly or in unexpected ways (e.g.
terrain/oar loading, media URLs).  It's difficult to get around these without viewer co-operation.

There are almost certainly many other bugs since it's code that nobody has touched for a long time.  To be honest, I'm
rather surprised that it still works.

http://justincc.org/blog

Re: Mega region pros and cons needed

Lindy (McKeown) Orwin
Thanks everyone for the info on megaregions.

I have decided against them. I recently read that you can double prims over the sim boundaries with prims extending from both sides like a double layered bridge to help stop that sinking feeling at sim boundaries. I will give that a test and see if the beautiful new 4 sim campus for Hypatia World will be sink free.

Thanks again
Lindy
--

Lindy (McKeown) Orwin
Second Life and OpenSim Grids  - Decka Mah
Cell: 360 536 5047 (USA)
Skype Number : 07 3103 3106 (From Australian phones only)
Email: [hidden email]
Web: http://lindyorwin.com
Virtual World Project Manager:
Hypatia - A STEM Virtual World for Girls (USA)
and
SPICE Virtual Worlds for Counselling and Social Work (Australia)

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

Re: Mega region pros and cons needed

M.E. Verhagen
The sim limit of 256x256 is a strange one, it would be nice if sims
could have other dimensions like 1024x1024.
At first glace megaregions seems to archive this, but not really since
you then in fact still have 16 sims just glued together.

1 megarion is definitely less laggy than 16 sims, however opensim is
performing better over time so this pro is getting smaller.

So if just want 1 region with a larger dimension then megaregion is
definetely an option, but there issues with parcel settings and other
cons.

I hope it will be possible to define the seperate region dimensions in
the future, the viewer would have to support this though.

2011/11/28, Lindy Orwin <[hidden email]>:

> Thanks everyone for the info on megaregions.
>
> I have decided against them. I recently read that you can double prims over
> the sim boundaries with prims extending from both sides like a double
> layered bridge to help stop that sinking feeling at sim boundaries. I will
> give that a test and see if the beautiful new 4 sim campus for Hypatia
> World will be sink free.
>
> Thanks again
> Lindy
> --
>
> Lindy (McKeown) Orwin
> Second Life and OpenSim Grids  - Decka Mah
> Cell: 360 536 5047 (USA)
> Skype Number : 07 3103 3106 (From Australian phones only)
> Email: [hidden email]
> Web: http://lindyorwin.com <http://lindymckeown.com/>
> Virtual World Project Manager:
> Hypatia - A STEM Virtual World for Girls (USA)
> <http://www.edlabgroup.org/projects/hypatia.html>and
> SPICE Virtual Worlds for Counselling and Social
> Work<http://wikiresearcher.org/DEHub_Research_Projects/University_of_New_England>
>  (Australia)
>
> "*Reality* is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert
> Einstein

Re: Mega region pros and cons needed

Robert L martin
mega regions get "funky" way to fast and to fix the sink problem you
can do things 2 ways.

1 have the land height maps within about 2 meters on both ends
2 "stack" 2 sets of prims one rezzed on the "A" side of the border and
the other rezzed on the "B" side (i think you have to do a "C" and "D"
set if you have a 4 way corner)

Does anybody know if Gimp can be scripted to break a "mega" region
height map into the N normal regions??

--
Robert L Martin