Metameets 2012

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Metameets 2012

justincc
Hi folks.  Just wanted to let people know about the Metameets 2012 [1] conference.  This is a fun conference that I
physically attended in both 2010 and 2011 and I'll be going in body again this year.  It's virtual-world/environment
neutral and the theme this year concentrates on creation in both the physical (3D printing, etc.) and digital worlds
(virtual worlds, digital creation, novel input methods) and how these can be connected.

I'll be giving a small workshop on setting up OpenSimulator (oriented to ppl who have never heard of it before) where I
may attempt to hook a region up to osgrid temporarily, network permitting.  I'll also be on a roundtable discussion
about open-source virtual worlds.

If you're interested in learning more, please also see my blog post [2].

On another note, I think it would be good to have an OpenSimulator conference at some point in OpenSimulator itself,
maybe next year.  Of course the problems are avatar limits (maybe Intel DSG could help with that) and possible crashing
(hence would have to be an 'alpha' free conference).  However, I don't think these would stop it from being a really
valuable thing to do.

[1] http://www.metameets.com
[2] http://justincc.org/blog/2012/10/02/speaking-at-metameets-2012-at-the-end-of-november/

--
Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
OSVW Consulting
http://justincc.org
http://twitter.com/justincc
_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Metameets 2012

Diva Canto
On 10/10/2012 5:56 PM, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
> On another note, I think it would be good to have an OpenSimulator
> conference at some point in OpenSimulator itself, maybe next year.  Of
> course the problems are avatar limits (maybe Intel DSG could help with
> that) and possible crashing (hence would have to be an 'alpha' free
> conference).  However, I don't think these would stop it from being a
> really valuable thing to do.

I would support this very much!
_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Metameets 2012

Mic Bowman
Sounds like a great idea.

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 7:22 PM, Diva Canto <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/10/2012 5:56 PM, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
>>
>> On another note, I think it would be good to have an OpenSimulator
>> conference at some point in OpenSimulator itself, maybe next year.  Of
>> course the problems are avatar limits (maybe Intel DSG could help with that)
>> and possible crashing (hence would have to be an 'alpha' free conference).
>> However, I don't think these would stop it from being a really valuable
>> thing to do.
>
>
> I would support this very much!
>
> _______________________________________________
> Opensim-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Metameets 2012

Fleep Tuque
Hi Justin,

About a year ago, AvaCon discussed the possibility of organizing an online Opensim Users Conference, but it seemed like the timing wasn't good for many folks: http://www.avacon.org/blog/events/opensim-users-conference/   I'd need to check with the rest of the Avacon board since we haven't discussed it in a while, but I'm pretty sure we'd still be up for organizing or sponsoring/partnering with others if this is something the community would like to do.  

Personally I think it's a great idea, I'm sure there are tons of things we could all learn from each other, and I always love an excuse to go visit other grids!


- Chris/Fleep








On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 12:28 AM, Mic Bowman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sounds like a great idea.

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 7:22 PM, Diva Canto <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 10/10/2012 5:56 PM, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
>>
>> On another note, I think it would be good to have an OpenSimulator
>> conference at some point in OpenSimulator itself, maybe next year.  Of
>> course the problems are avatar limits (maybe Intel DSG could help with that)
>> and possible crashing (hence would have to be an 'alpha' free conference).
>> However, I don't think these would stop it from being a really valuable
>> thing to do.
>
>
> I would support this very much!
>
> _______________________________________________
> Opensim-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users


_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Metameets 2012

Kay McLennan
Justin, Diva, Mic, Fleep, et al,

Re:  An OpenSimulator in-world conference -- what a splendid idea!  Also, where Fleep suggested hypergrid transport portals connected to the in-world conference site (to see what others are doing), I would vote for the additional sample showcase displays in one spot (like a vendor show at a trade conference).  

On the topic of managing avatar numbers, in addition to some real-time presentations (that can be streamed to multiple sims), with MOAP, presentations can be pre-recorded and available on demand (to accommodate different schedules and time zones).  Further, pre-recording any lecture-style presentations will leave time for more interactive follow-up discussions and hands-on demonstration sessions.  

Again, I think the notion of an OpenSimulator in-world conference is splendid!

-- Kay McLennan

_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Metameets 2012

James Hughes
In reply to this post by justincc
On 10/10/2012 08:56 PM, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
> ...
> On another note, I think it would be good to have an OpenSimulator
> conference at some point in OpenSimulator itself, maybe next year. Of
> course the problems are avatar limits (maybe Intel DSG could help with
> that) and possible crashing (hence would have to be an 'alpha' free
> conference). However, I don't think these would stop it from being a
> really valuable thing to do.

Good idea ++

-BlueWall

_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Metameets 2012

aiaustin
In reply to this post by justincc
At 11:00 11/10/2012, Justin CC wrote:
>On another note, I think it would be good to have an OpenSimulator
>conference at some point in OpenSimulator itself,
>maybe next year.  Of course the problems are avatar limits (maybe
>Intel DSG could help with that) and possible crashing
>(hence would have to be an 'alpha' free conference).  However, I
>don't think these would stop it from being a really
>valuable thing to do.


I think that would be an excellent idea too Justin.  Pre-published
backup routes for communication, twitter status feeds on a nominated
hash tag and a single web page web to go to for the links,
alternatives, twitter widget and current status can help with problems.

One thing I would suggest is that a "core" area is used for the
meeting, and perhaps some adjacent regions/sims where proximity and
simple media relay is possible.  If that's not large enough, I have
seen the use of media relays to satellite areas, with one
person/avatar in each satellite area taking responsibility for acting
as the link for passing in questions to the main space.

We have tried to relay the main live event area via one avatar's
"camera" to "web participants" using Adobe Connect so many more can
see it via the camera avatar's eyes... and that avatar again can act
to bridge the web participants in at question times, etc.  Such a
facility can also provide a convenient way to record and later replay
the main talks.

http://openvce.net/3d-space-hw-layout
http://openvce.net/3d-space-alt-allinone

On a few occasions we have linked real world seminar spaces:

http://openvce.net/event-eie09
http://openvce.net/event-sorascs09

And every year since 2009 the University of Edinburgh and Virtual
University of Edinburgh link up for a mixed reality event with media
streaming two ways for virtual graduations for distance education students:

http://vue.ed.ac.uk/graduation.html

_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Metameets 2012

justincc
In reply to this post by Fleep Tuque
Thanks Fleep (and everybody else) for their comments.

I was envisioning something very simple, at least for the first year, most preferably held on up to 4 regions of osgrid.
  This would be to make it simpler to control and troubleshoot, rather than having to co-ordinate with a number of
people and different grid conditions.  I think that it also provides better focus, though of course there's no reason
people couldn't also just go and visit other locations intergrid or hypergrid.

I would also try to squeeze as many avatars in a single voice-enabled location rather than relay to other places.  This
is probably the major technical challenge - I guess the obvious 'normal' thing to do is to meet at the intersection of 4
simulators.

I will be leaning very heavily on people like Avacon and yourself, Fleep, for organization since this is far from my
strong point.  So help will be really appreciated.

My own mental timetable is to start the ball rolling in earnest early next year (probably January) with a view to having
the conference in the last half or quarter of 2013.  So next year I will create a Google group and ask interested people
to join so we can start talking further and get volunteers.

Of course, any early suggestions from yourself (or anybody else) are very welcome since people have vastly more
experience and skill with this kind of stuff than do I!

Best,

Justin

On 11/10/12 06:21, Fleep Tuque wrote:

> Hi Justin,
>
> About a year ago, AvaCon discussed the possibility of organizing an online Opensim Users Conference, but it seemed like
> the timing wasn't good for many folks: http://www.avacon.org/blog/events/opensim-users-conference/   I'd need to check
> with the rest of the Avacon board since we haven't discussed it in a while, but I'm pretty sure we'd still be up for
> organizing or sponsoring/partnering with others if this is something the community would like to do.
>
> Personally I think it's a great idea, I'm sure there are tons of things we could all learn from each other, and I always
> love an excuse to go visit other grids!
>
>
> - Chris/Fleep
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 12:28 AM, Mic Bowman <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Sounds like a great idea.
>
>     On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 7:22 PM, Diva Canto <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>      > On 10/10/2012 5:56 PM, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
>      >>
>      >> On another note, I think it would be good to have an OpenSimulator
>      >> conference at some point in OpenSimulator itself, maybe next year.  Of
>      >> course the problems are avatar limits (maybe Intel DSG could help with that)
>      >> and possible crashing (hence would have to be an 'alpha' free conference).
>      >> However, I don't think these would stop it from being a really valuable
>      >> thing to do.
>      >
>      >
>      > I would support this very much!
>      >
>      > _______________________________________________
>      > Opensim-users mailing list
>      > [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>      > https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
>     _______________________________________________
>     Opensim-users mailing list
>     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Opensim-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
>


--
Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
OSVW Consulting
http://justincc.org
http://twitter.com/justincc
_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Metameets 2012

Fleep Tuque
We've added this to the agenda for our next AvaCon board meeting, and I think that timeline sounds feasible.  Most people are pretty busy with holiday stuff for the next couple months, so starting the serious planning after the New Year makes sense.

Will post an update after our meeting to confirm the rest of the AvaCon folks are on board.  (I don't anticipate any issues!)

Thanks,

- Chris/Fleep


Chris M. Collins (SL/OS: Fleep Tuque)
Center for Simulations & Virtual Environments Research (UCSIM)
UCIT Instructional & Research Computing
University of Cincinnati
406A Zimmer Hall
315 College Drive
PO BOX 210088
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0088
(513) 556-3018

http://ucsim.uc.edu

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 7:19 PM, Justin Clark-Casey <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Fleep (and everybody else) for their comments.

I was envisioning something very simple, at least for the first year, most preferably held on up to 4 regions of osgrid.  This would be to make it simpler to control and troubleshoot, rather than having to co-ordinate with a number of people and different grid conditions.  I think that it also provides better focus, though of course there's no reason people couldn't also just go and visit other locations intergrid or hypergrid.

I would also try to squeeze as many avatars in a single voice-enabled location rather than relay to other places.  This is probably the major technical challenge - I guess the obvious 'normal' thing to do is to meet at the intersection of 4 simulators.

I will be leaning very heavily on people like Avacon and yourself, Fleep, for organization since this is far from my strong point.  So help will be really appreciated.

My own mental timetable is to start the ball rolling in earnest early next year (probably January) with a view to having the conference in the last half or quarter of 2013.  So next year I will create a Google group and ask interested people to join so we can start talking further and get volunteers.

Of course, any early suggestions from yourself (or anybody else) are very welcome since people have vastly more experience and skill with this kind of stuff than do I!

Best,

Justin


On 11/10/12 06:21, Fleep Tuque wrote:
Hi Justin,

About a year ago, AvaCon discussed the possibility of organizing an online Opensim Users Conference, but it seemed like
the timing wasn't good for many folks: http://www.avacon.org/blog/events/opensim-users-conference/   I'd need to check
with the rest of the Avacon board since we haven't discussed it in a while, but I'm pretty sure we'd still be up for
organizing or sponsoring/partnering with others if this is something the community would like to do.

Personally I think it's a great idea, I'm sure there are tons of things we could all learn from each other, and I always
love an excuse to go visit other grids!


- Chris/Fleep








On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 12:28 AM, Mic Bowman <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

    Sounds like a great idea.

    On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 7:22 PM, Diva Canto <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
     > On 10/10/2012 5:56 PM, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
     >>
     >> On another note, I think it would be good to have an OpenSimulator
     >> conference at some point in OpenSimulator itself, maybe next year.  Of
     >> course the problems are avatar limits (maybe Intel DSG could help with that)
     >> and possible crashing (hence would have to be an 'alpha' free conference).
     >> However, I don't think these would stop it from being a really valuable
     >> thing to do.
     >
     >
     > I would support this very much!
     >
     > _______________________________________________
     > Opensim-users mailing list
     > [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

     > https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
    _______________________________________________
    Opensim-users mailing list
    [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

    https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users




_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users



--
Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
OSVW Consulting
http://justincc.org
http://twitter.com/justincc
_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users


_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Metameets 2012

Diva Canto
Fleep,

What is AvaCon?

Crista

On 10/14/2012 7:27 AM, Fleep Tuque wrote:
We've added this to the agenda for our next AvaCon board meeting, and I think that timeline sounds feasible.  Most people are pretty busy with holiday stuff for the next couple months, so starting the serious planning after the New Year makes sense.

Will post an update after our meeting to confirm the rest of the AvaCon folks are on board.  (I don't anticipate any issues!)

Thanks,

- Chris/Fleep


Chris M. Collins (SL/OS: Fleep Tuque)
Center for Simulations & Virtual Environments Research (UCSIM)
UCIT Instructional & Research Computing
University of Cincinnati
406A Zimmer Hall
315 College Drive
PO BOX 210088
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0088
(513) 556-3018

http://ucsim.uc.edu

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 7:19 PM, Justin Clark-Casey <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Fleep (and everybody else) for their comments.

I was envisioning something very simple, at least for the first year, most preferably held on up to 4 regions of osgrid.  This would be to make it simpler to control and troubleshoot, rather than having to co-ordinate with a number of people and different grid conditions.  I think that it also provides better focus, though of course there's no reason people couldn't also just go and visit other locations intergrid or hypergrid.

I would also try to squeeze as many avatars in a single voice-enabled location rather than relay to other places.  This is probably the major technical challenge - I guess the obvious 'normal' thing to do is to meet at the intersection of 4 simulators.

I will be leaning very heavily on people like Avacon and yourself, Fleep, for organization since this is far from my strong point.  So help will be really appreciated.

My own mental timetable is to start the ball rolling in earnest early next year (probably January) with a view to having the conference in the last half or quarter of 2013.  So next year I will create a Google group and ask interested people to join so we can start talking further and get volunteers.

Of course, any early suggestions from yourself (or anybody else) are very welcome since people have vastly more experience and skill with this kind of stuff than do I!

Best,

Justin


On 11/10/12 06:21, Fleep Tuque wrote:
Hi Justin,

About a year ago, AvaCon discussed the possibility of organizing an online Opensim Users Conference, but it seemed like
the timing wasn't good for many folks: http://www.avacon.org/blog/events/opensim-users-conference/   I'd need to check
with the rest of the Avacon board since we haven't discussed it in a while, but I'm pretty sure we'd still be up for
organizing or sponsoring/partnering with others if this is something the community would like to do.

Personally I think it's a great idea, I'm sure there are tons of things we could all learn from each other, and I always
love an excuse to go visit other grids!


- Chris/Fleep








On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 12:28 AM, Mic Bowman <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

    Sounds like a great idea.

    On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 7:22 PM, Diva Canto <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
     > On 10/10/2012 5:56 PM, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
     >>
     >> On another note, I think it would be good to have an OpenSimulator
     >> conference at some point in OpenSimulator itself, maybe next year.  Of
     >> course the problems are avatar limits (maybe Intel DSG could help with that)
     >> and possible crashing (hence would have to be an 'alpha' free conference).
     >> However, I don't think these would stop it from being a really valuable
     >> thing to do.
     >
     >
     > I would support this very much!
     >
     > _______________________________________________
     > Opensim-users mailing list
     > [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

     > https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
    _______________________________________________
    Opensim-users mailing list
    [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

    https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users




_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users



--
Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
OSVW Consulting
http://justincc.org
http://twitter.com/justincc
_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users



_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users


_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Metameets 2012

Miller, Peter
In reply to this post by justincc
I did briefly consider running a cross-grid event for OpenSim educators. On the other hand there hasn't historically been a shortage of virtual world conferences for educators with VWBPE being a notable fixture with a reasonable level of multi-platform support (Minecraft and WoW as well as SL, OpenSim and Jibe). ReactionGrid also ran their own multi-platform IndieMetaverse edu conference over the last few years; I've no idea whether that will continue given their focus on Jibe. SLACTIONS is a hybrid event, inworld in SL and RL http://www.slactions.org/ . Finally, there have been RL conferences like MetaMeets, and the one run by the Immersive Education Initiative (which now has a European chapter http://europe.immersiveeducation.org/).

On the other hand, I still think that there's a space for an OpenSim-specific edu conference (or possibly session(s) within a larger umbrella  format) that is accessible, lightweight, informal and affordable/free.

Best wishes

Peter

________________________________________
From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] on behalf of Justin Clark-Casey [[hidden email]]
Sent: 11 October 2012 01:56
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [Opensim-users] Metameets 2012

Hi folks.  Just wanted to let people know about the Metameets 2012 [1] conference.  This is a fun conference that I
physically attended in both 2010 and 2011 and I'll be going in body again this year.  It's virtual-world/environment
neutral and the theme this year concentrates on creation in both the physical (3D printing, etc.) and digital worlds
(virtual worlds, digital creation, novel input methods) and how these can be connected.

I'll be giving a small workshop on setting up OpenSimulator (oriented to ppl who have never heard of it before) where I
may attempt to hook a region up to osgrid temporarily, network permitting.  I'll also be on a roundtable discussion
about open-source virtual worlds.

If you're interested in learning more, please also see my blog post [2].

On another note, I think it would be good to have an OpenSimulator conference at some point in OpenSimulator itself,
maybe next year.  Of course the problems are avatar limits (maybe Intel DSG could help with that) and possible crashing
(hence would have to be an 'alpha' free conference).  However, I don't think these would stop it from being a really
valuable thing to do.

[1] http://www.metameets.com
[2] http://justincc.org/blog/2012/10/02/speaking-at-metameets-2012-at-the-end-of-november/

--
Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
OSVW Consulting
http://justincc.org
http://twitter.com/justincc
_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Metameets 2012

Kay McLennan
On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 3:03 AM, Miller, Peter <[hidden email]> wrote:
...On the other hand there hasn't historically been a shortage of virtual world conferences for educators...
 
Peter, et al,

While I keep harping on the needed critical mass "network effect" relevant to virtual worlds, I will take the liberty of repeating my views one more time in this reply.  More specifically, I continue to think a lack of an adequate network effect is one of the key factors limiting the use of virtual worlds in education and business.  [Network effect = the property of a good or service that makes it more valuable when more people use it.  Two examples of goods/services with strong network effects are the telephone and Internet.]

Based on the needed network effect relevant to virtual worlds, my view is that there is no such thing as too many virtual world themed events.  Also, my current exclusive use of the OpenSim platform is so very different from my prior use of the SL platform that I no longer consider SL (or a SL event) as relevant to my e-teaching and e-teaching simulation creations.

Still, while I think a new OpenSim focused conference is a terrific idea, my view is that it would be an even better idea if the theme of the conference included all of the VW-seasoned attendees bringing AT LEAST ONE VW newbie to the event!  Rock the [VW] network effect!

-- Kay McLennan

_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Metameets 2012

justincc
In reply to this post by Fleep Tuque
Thanks Fleep, much appreciated.

On 14/10/12 15:27, Fleep Tuque wrote:

> We've added this to the agenda for our next AvaCon board meeting, and I think that timeline sounds feasible.  Most
> people are pretty busy with holiday stuff for the next couple months, so starting the serious planning after the New
> Year makes sense.
>
> Will post an update after our meeting to confirm the rest of the AvaCon folks are on board.  (I don't anticipate any
> issues!)
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Chris/Fleep
>
>
> Chris M. Collins (SL/OS: Fleep Tuque)
> Center for Simulations & Virtual Environments Research (UCSIM)
> UCIT Instructional & Research Computing
> University of Cincinnati
> 406A Zimmer Hall
> 315 College Drive
> PO BOX 210088
> Cincinnati, OH 45221-0088
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> (513) 556-3018
>
> http://ucsim.uc.edu
>
> On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 7:19 PM, Justin Clark-Casey <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Thanks Fleep (and everybody else) for their comments.
>
>     I was envisioning something very simple, at least for the first year, most preferably held on up to 4 regions of
>     osgrid.  This would be to make it simpler to control and troubleshoot, rather than having to co-ordinate with a
>     number of people and different grid conditions.  I think that it also provides better focus, though of course
>     there's no reason people couldn't also just go and visit other locations intergrid or hypergrid.
>
>     I would also try to squeeze as many avatars in a single voice-enabled location rather than relay to other places.
>       This is probably the major technical challenge - I guess the obvious 'normal' thing to do is to meet at the
>     intersection of 4 simulators.
>
>     I will be leaning very heavily on people like Avacon and yourself, Fleep, for organization since this is far from my
>     strong point.  So help will be really appreciated.
>
>     My own mental timetable is to start the ball rolling in earnest early next year (probably January) with a view to
>     having the conference in the last half or quarter of 2013.  So next year I will create a Google group and ask
>     interested people to join so we can start talking further and get volunteers.
>
>     Of course, any early suggestions from yourself (or anybody else) are very welcome since people have vastly more
>     experience and skill with this kind of stuff than do I!
>
>     Best,
>
>     Justin
>
>
>     On 11/10/12 06:21, Fleep Tuque wrote:
>
>         Hi Justin,
>
>         About a year ago, AvaCon discussed the possibility of organizing an online Opensim Users Conference, but it
>         seemed like
>         the timing wasn't good for many folks: http://www.avacon.org/blog/__events/opensim-users-__conference/
>         <http://www.avacon.org/blog/events/opensim-users-conference/>   I'd need to check
>         with the rest of the Avacon board since we haven't discussed it in a while, but I'm pretty sure we'd still be up for
>         organizing or sponsoring/partnering with others if this is something the community would like to do.
>
>         Personally I think it's a great idea, I'm sure there are tons of things we could all learn from each other, and
>         I always
>         love an excuse to go visit other grids!
>
>
>         - Chris/Fleep
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>         On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 12:28 AM, Mic Bowman <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>         <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>> wrote:
>
>              Sounds like a great idea.
>
>              On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 7:22 PM, Diva Canto <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>         <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>__> wrote:
>               > On 10/10/2012 5:56 PM, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
>               >>
>               >> On another note, I think it would be good to have an OpenSimulator
>               >> conference at some point in OpenSimulator itself, maybe next year.  Of
>               >> course the problems are avatar limits (maybe Intel DSG could help with that)
>               >> and possible crashing (hence would have to be an 'alpha' free conference).
>               >> However, I don't think these would stop it from being a really valuable
>               >> thing to do.
>               >
>               >
>               > I would support this very much!
>               >
>               > _________________________________________________
>               > Opensim-users mailing list
>               > [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>         <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>               > https://lists.berlios.de/__mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
>         <https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users>
>              _________________________________________________
>              Opensim-users mailing list
>         [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> <mailto:[hidden email]
>         <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>         https://lists.berlios.de/__mailman/listinfo/opensim-users <https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users>
>
>
>
>
>         _________________________________________________
>         Opensim-users mailing list
>         [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>         https://lists.berlios.de/__mailman/listinfo/opensim-users <https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users>
>
>
>
>     --
>     Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
>     OSVW Consulting
>     http://justincc.org
>     http://twitter.com/justincc
>     _________________________________________________
>     Opensim-users mailing list
>     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     https://lists.berlios.de/__mailman/listinfo/opensim-users <https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users>
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Opensim-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
>


--
Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
OSVW Consulting
http://justincc.org
http://twitter.com/justincc
_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [opensim-edu] Metameets 2012

Rick Anderson
++1 
I'd love to see some Hypergrid touring as part of the event. 
--Rick

On Monday, October 15, 2012, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
Thanks Fleep, much appreciated.

On 14/10/12 15:27, Fleep Tuque wrote:
We've added this to the agenda for our next AvaCon board meeting, and I think that timeline sounds feasible.  Most
people are pretty busy with holiday stuff for the next couple months, so starting the serious planning after the New
Year makes sense.

Will post an update after our meeting to confirm the rest of the AvaCon folks are on board.  (I don't anticipate any
issues!)

Thanks,

- Chris/Fleep


Chris M. Collins (SL/OS: Fleep Tuque)
Center for Simulations & Virtual Environments Research (UCSIM)
UCIT Instructional & Research Computing
University of Cincinnati
406A Zimmer Hall
315 College Drive
PO BOX 210088
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0088
[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
(513) 556-3018

http://ucsim.uc.edu

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 7:19 PM, Justin Clark-Casey <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

    Thanks Fleep (and everybody else) for their comments.

    I was envisioning something very simple, at least for the first year, most preferably held on up to 4 regions of
    osgrid.  This would be to make it simpler to control and troubleshoot, rather than having to co-ordinate with a
    number of people and different grid conditions.  I think that it also provides better focus, though of course
    there's no reason people couldn't also just go and visit other locations intergrid or hypergrid.

    I would also try to squeeze as many avatars in a single voice-enabled location rather than relay to other places.
      This is probably the major technical challenge - I guess the obvious 'normal' thing to do is to meet at the
    intersection of 4 simulators.

    I will be leaning very heavily on people like Avacon and yourself, Fleep, for organization since this is far from my
    strong point.  So help will be really appreciated.

    My own mental timetable is to start the ball rolling in earnest early next year (probably January) with a view to
    having the conference in the last half or quarter of 2013.  So next year I will create a Google group and ask
    interested people to join so we can start talking further and get volunteers.

    Of course, any early suggestions from yourself (or anybody else) are very welcome since people have vastly more
    experience and skill with this kind of stuff than do I!

    Best,

    Justin


    On 11/10/12 06:21, Fleep Tuque wrote:

        Hi Justin,

        About a year ago, AvaCon discussed the possibility of organizing an online Opensim Users Conference, but it
        seemed like
        the timing wasn't good for many folks: http://www.avacon.org/blog/__events/opensim-users-__conference/
        <http://www.avacon.org/blog/events/opensim-users-conference/>   I'd need to check
        with the rest of the Avacon board since we haven't discussed it in a while, but I'm pretty sure we'd still be up for
        organizing or sponsoring/partnering with others if this is something the community would like to do.

        Personally I think it's a great idea, I'm sure there are tons of things we could all learn from each other, and
        I always
        love an excuse to go visit other grids!


        - Chris/Fleep








        On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 12:28 AM, Mic Bowman <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
        <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>> wrote:

             Sounds like a great idea.

             On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 7:22 PM, Diva Canto <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
        <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>__> wrote:
              > On 10/10/2012 5:56 PM, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
              >>
              >> On another note, I think it would be good to have an OpenSimulator
              >> conference at some point in OpenSimulator itself, maybe next year.  Of
              >> course the problems are avatar limits (maybe Intel DSG could help with that)
              >> and possible crashing (hence would have to be an 'alpha' free conference).
              >> However, I don't think these would stop it from being a really valuable
              >> thing to do.
              >
              >
              > I would support this very much!
              >
              > _________________________________________________
              > Opensim-users mailing list
              > [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
        <mailto:Opensim-users@lists.__berlios.de <mailto:[hidden email]>>

              > https://lists.berlios.de/__mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
        <https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users>
             _________________________________________________
             Opensim-users mailing list
        [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> <mailto:Opensim-users@lists.__berlios.de
        <mailto:[hidden email]>>

        https://lists.berlios.de/__mailman/listinfo/opensim-users <https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users>




        _________________________________________________
        Opensim-users mailing list
        [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
        https://lists.berlios.de/__mailman/listinfo/opensim-users <https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users>



    --
    Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
    OSVW Consulting
    http://justincc.org
    http://twitter.com/justincc
    _________________________________________________
    Opensim-users mailing list
    [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
    https://lists.berlios.de/__mailman/listinfo/opensim-users <https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users>




_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users



--
Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
OSVW Consulting
http://justincc.org
http://twitter.com/justincc
_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users


--
Rick Anderson
Director of Virtual Worlds
Division of Continuing Studies (DoCS)
Rutgers University
(732) 586-3265

_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Metameets 2012

Fleep Tuque
In reply to this post by Diva Canto
Hi Crista, 

AvaCon is the 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that I and a few others founded a couple of years ago when we took over the organization and management of the Second Life Community Convention (real life and in-world).  While our energies were largely directed at SLCC for the first couple of years, our goal has always been to support more than just Second Life related events, which is why this year we made the difficult decision to wind down SLCC to focus on the metaverse more broadly.  (We'll be announcing an upcoming Metaverse Cultural Series of events soon!)

AvaCon, Inc. is a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting the growth, enhancement, and development of the metaverse, virtual worlds, augmented reality, and 3D immersive and virtual spaces. We hold conventions and meetings to promote educational and scientific inquiry into these spaces, and to support organized fan activities, including performances, lectures, art, music, machinima, and much more. Our primary goal is to connect and support the diverse communities and practitioners involved in co-creating and using virtual worlds, and to educate the public and our constituents about the emerging ecosystem of technologies broadly known as the metaverse.


As part of our work with SLCC and other events, we've developed a lot of the planning infrastructure and technical back end for organizing and running both in-world and real world meetings and performances, so we could help with coordinating things like registration, scheduling, presentation proposal submissions, technical coordination, etc.  Depending on what everyone decides to do, we also have a great group of machinima folks who can help with live streaming to the web or that sort of thing, too.  I guess it's too early to say until the scope of the event is better defined, but we have several years experience producing these kinds of events and have a lot of resources we could contribute, either as event partners or in-kind sponsors or whatever arrangement works best.

We discussed the conference at our board meeting yesterday and everyone agreed we'd like to offer our support, so perhaps can flesh out in more detail what kind of resources would be most helpful whenever the planning begins.


- Chris/Fleep

Chris M. Collins (SL/OS: Fleep Tuque)
Center for Simulations & Virtual Environments Research (UCSIM)
UCIT Instructional & Research Computing
University of Cincinnati
406A Zimmer Hall
315 College Drive
PO BOX 210088
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0088
(513) 556-3018




On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 10:38 AM, Diva Canto <[hidden email]> wrote:
Fleep,

What is AvaCon?

Crista


On 10/14/2012 7:27 AM, Fleep Tuque wrote:
We've added this to the agenda for our next AvaCon board meeting, and I think that timeline sounds feasible.  Most people are pretty busy with holiday stuff for the next couple months, so starting the serious planning after the New Year makes sense.

Will post an update after our meeting to confirm the rest of the AvaCon folks are on board.  (I don't anticipate any issues!)

Thanks,

- Chris/Fleep


Chris M. Collins (SL/OS: Fleep Tuque)
Center for Simulations & Virtual Environments Research (UCSIM)
UCIT Instructional & Research Computing
University of Cincinnati
406A Zimmer Hall
315 College Drive
PO BOX 210088
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0088
<a href="tel:%28513%29%20556-3018" value="+15135563018" target="_blank">(513) 556-3018

http://ucsim.uc.edu

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 7:19 PM, Justin Clark-Casey <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Fleep (and everybody else) for their comments.

I was envisioning something very simple, at least for the first year, most preferably held on up to 4 regions of osgrid.  This would be to make it simpler to control and troubleshoot, rather than having to co-ordinate with a number of people and different grid conditions.  I think that it also provides better focus, though of course there's no reason people couldn't also just go and visit other locations intergrid or hypergrid.

I would also try to squeeze as many avatars in a single voice-enabled location rather than relay to other places.  This is probably the major technical challenge - I guess the obvious 'normal' thing to do is to meet at the intersection of 4 simulators.

I will be leaning very heavily on people like Avacon and yourself, Fleep, for organization since this is far from my strong point.  So help will be really appreciated.

My own mental timetable is to start the ball rolling in earnest early next year (probably January) with a view to having the conference in the last half or quarter of 2013.  So next year I will create a Google group and ask interested people to join so we can start talking further and get volunteers.

Of course, any early suggestions from yourself (or anybody else) are very welcome since people have vastly more experience and skill with this kind of stuff than do I!

Best,

Justin


On 11/10/12 06:21, Fleep Tuque wrote:
Hi Justin,

About a year ago, AvaCon discussed the possibility of organizing an online Opensim Users Conference, but it seemed like
the timing wasn't good for many folks: http://www.avacon.org/blog/events/opensim-users-conference/   I'd need to check
with the rest of the Avacon board since we haven't discussed it in a while, but I'm pretty sure we'd still be up for
organizing or sponsoring/partnering with others if this is something the community would like to do.

Personally I think it's a great idea, I'm sure there are tons of things we could all learn from each other, and I always
love an excuse to go visit other grids!


- Chris/Fleep








On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 12:28 AM, Mic Bowman <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

    Sounds like a great idea.

    On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 7:22 PM, Diva Canto <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
     > On 10/10/2012 5:56 PM, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
     >>
     >> On another note, I think it would be good to have an OpenSimulator
     >> conference at some point in OpenSimulator itself, maybe next year.  Of
     >> course the problems are avatar limits (maybe Intel DSG could help with that)
     >> and possible crashing (hence would have to be an 'alpha' free conference).
     >> However, I don't think these would stop it from being a really valuable
     >> thing to do.
     >
     >
     > I would support this very much!
     >
     > _______________________________________________
     > Opensim-users mailing list
     > [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

     > https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
    _______________________________________________
    Opensim-users mailing list
    [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

    https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users




_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users



--
Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
OSVW Consulting
http://justincc.org
http://twitter.com/justincc
_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users



_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users


_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users


_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users