Money Modules

David Lloyd

From what I can tell there can only be a single money module setup in OpenSim.ini and the various browsers, e.g. Singularity, the official SL browser, only allow the purchase of one type of money.

Is this true?

My use case might be:

  • User (i.e. avatar) wants to buy “money” from Linden Exchange and say Vorwox without having to leave the simulator client;
  • User clicks on the buy money” icon (or uses a key quick command) and is presented with not just one quote but something that indicates - say - that buying “100 money from the Lindex is $5USD and from Vorwox is $4USD”

Then the user could choose to select which one to purchase from, probably decided by lowest price (at least that’s what I’d do :P).

DSL

Re: Money Modules

Gwyneth Llewelyn
As far as I know, this would require a change on the viewer side, not only on the server side, because the viewers don’t give the ‘option’ to pick a different module.

So you have as alternatives:

1) Buy money via an in-world script, i.e. an ATM device (either in-world or on a HUD) where you give multiple options. A well-designed HUD can really look like it’s part of a particular viewer (each viewer has different skins, though).
2) Set up your own money gateway, interfacing with different exchanges, and pick the ‘best’ choice for your user, which would then be presented via the money module. However, most exchanges don’t have APIs, so this might become terribly difficukt (i.e. you would need to do ’screen grabbing’ — not impossible, but tough, and you would need to change your interface every time any of those exchanges change their website).

BTW I’m a little bit confused about you mentioning the LindeX below. The LindeX will not work on OpenSimulator :)

Cheers,

- Gwyn

On 30 Nov 2014, at 01:27 , David Lloyd <[hidden email]> wrote:

From what I can tell there can only be a single money module setup in OpenSim.ini and the various browsers, e.g. Singularity, the official SL browser, only allow the purchase of one type of money.

Is this true?

My use case might be:

  • User (i.e. avatar) wants to buy “money” from Linden Exchange and say Vorwox without having to leave the simulator client;
  • User clicks on the buy money” icon (or uses a key quick command) and is presented with not just one quote but something that indicates - say - that buying “100 money from the Lindex is $5USD and from Vorwox is $4USD”

Then the user could choose to select which one to purchase from, probably decided by lowest price (at least that’s what I’d do :P).

"I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
  -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08

Re: Money Modules

David Lloyd
Hi Gwyn,

BTW I’m a little bit confused about you mentioning the LindeX below. The LindeX will not work on OpenSimulator :)

I was simply using it as an example of an exchange.

DSL

Re: Money Modules

David P. Giffen-2

True, as far as I know Linden Labs has never released the code for LindeX. It would be a security disaster. If you knew how it works you can easily find its vulnerabilities and exploit them.

BTW I’m a little bit confused about you mentioning the LindeX below. The LindeX will not work on OpenSimulator :)

I was simply using it as an example of an exchange.

DSL

Re: Money Modules

David Saunders-2
Interesting idea to allow users to use different currencies. But, it become  a headache for sellers, 'which one can should we choose' a unified currency is need on a grid to sustain a economy, or eventually one currency will rule over all.

Now on the back end,  tracking multiple currencies is not that hard to do just a nightmare for the bottom line.
But still, changes have to made all over the place including in clients and servers. The prices has to to be displayed with currency in each place.   I seen other worlds(not based on SL) who done it and its a nightmare to handle. But they usually use a conversion matrix for it, where  1DN$ = 12.3WooWoo = 50US$. And the client can pay any of the prices.  This is popular with payed services where it base on cash and they sell tokens for special things or general use.

Personally, I would trust a web browser more then a grid client to real world currencies.

But, you can write a region module that can interface with a hud as mention by another comment.  That would  cache the price of the  object for sell and translate to different currencies.  It still be complicated, because some currencies require you to go though a web based api with a browser feed back to confirm the transaction before it can go though.

 One of the the reason we dropped our currency provider for our grid was you had to confirm trans actions or set up a wallet with money in it.

Money, You cant play with it, For allot of people its real no matter how fake it is.

From what I can tell there can only be a single money module setup in OpenSim.ini and the various browsers, e.g. Singularity, the official SL browser, only allow the purchase of one type of money.