Moving Avatars from Region to Region

Levi Martson
Hello,

I'm trying to move avatars from one region to another region. How do I go about doing that?

Thanks,
Levi

Re: Moving Avatars from Region to Region

paul emery
Do you mean you are trying to hyperjump from one sim to another or do you mean you are trying to just walk across from one region to another?

Re: Moving Avatars from Region to Region

Levi Martson
I guess this might be more for the opensim-dev list, but I'm trying to move the avatar back on the server side of things, not in the viewer side. I need to move avatars from one instance of opensim to another instance of opensim.

----------------------------
Levi Martson
Immersive Education Initiative: http://ImmersiveEducation.org
Immersive Education Forums: http://ImmersiveEducation.org/forums

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 11:31, paul emery <[hidden email]> wrote:

Do you mean you are trying to hyperjump from one sim to another or do you
mean you are trying to just walk across from one region to another?

Re: Moving Avatars from Region to Region

Ken Grunke
On 02/07/2011 01:50 PM, Levi Martson wrote:
> I guess this might be more for the opensim-dev list, but I'm trying to
> move the avatar back on the server side of things, not in the viewer
> side. I need to move avatars from one instance of opensim to another
> instance of opensim.

As far as I know from being a casual opensim user for the last two
years, and lurking here and on the IRC channels, there isn't a specific
single process for doing this.

You would probably need to recreate each avatar as a new user in the
console first. Then if you need the UUIDs to match, do a direct edit of
the database. Something I've never had reason to do, so if I am wrong
well it's open for correction here.

For shape and other appearance items, inventory can be transferred with
an IAR for each avatar:
http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Inventory_Archives

Re: Moving Avatars from Region to Region

justincc
On 07/02/11 21:12, Ken G wrote:

> On 02/07/2011 01:50 PM, Levi Martson wrote:
>> I guess this might be more for the opensim-dev list, but I'm trying to move the avatar back on the server side of
>> things, not in the viewer side. I need to move avatars from one instance of opensim to another instance of opensim.
>
> As far as I know from being a casual opensim user for the last two years, and lurking here and on the IRC channels,
> there isn't a specific single process for doing this.
>
> You would probably need to recreate each avatar as a new user in the console first. Then if you need the UUIDs to match,
> do a direct edit of the database. Something I've never had reason to do, so if I am wrong well it's open for correction
> here.
>
> For shape and other appearance items, inventory can be transferred with an IAR for each avatar:
> http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Inventory_Archives

Unfortunately, Ken is right - there's currently no good way of doing this short of recreating the user accounts and
transferring their inventories manually, if that is required.

Possibly one of the webinterfaces might have a solution for this

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Webinterface

though I don't have much direct experience with them myself.

http://justincc.org/blog

Re: Moving Avatars from Region to Region

Jason Shipley-3
On 2/7/2011 5:17 PM, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:

> On 07/02/11 21:12, Ken G wrote:
>> On 02/07/2011 01:50 PM, Levi Martson wrote:
>>> I guess this might be more for the opensim-dev list, but I'm trying
>>> to move the avatar back on the server side of
>>> things, not in the viewer side. I need to move avatars from one
>>> instance of opensim to another instance of opensim.
>>
>> As far as I know from being a casual opensim user for the last two
>> years, and lurking here and on the IRC channels,
>> there isn't a specific single process for doing this.
>>
>> You would probably need to recreate each avatar as a new user in the
>> console first. Then if you need the UUIDs to match,
>> do a direct edit of the database. Something I've never had reason to
>> do, so if I am wrong well it's open for correction
>> here.
>>
>> For shape and other appearance items, inventory can be transferred
>> with an IAR for each avatar:
>> http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Inventory_Archives
>
> Unfortunately, Ken is right - there's currently no good way of doing
> this short of recreating the user accounts and transferring their
> inventories manually, if that is required.
>
> Possibly one of the webinterfaces might have a solution for this
>
> http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Webinterface
>
> though I don't have much direct experience with them myself.

Both Ken and Justin are correct.  The only reliable way is to manually
alter the DB tables.  It's actually not terribly complicated and I've
done it may times.  Just create, via console command, a user with the
same name in the new OS instance.  With the new bare-bones inventory and
attributes now added to the DB you can begin replacing references to the
new UUID with whatever the old UUID value was.  I'm not making any
assumptions as to your familiarity/comfort level with manually editing
DB tables, but if you want a friendly GUI that is more elegant that the
standard phpMyAdmin interface, you might want to try MySQLBuddy -
http://http://www.sqlbuddy.com.  It's all just cutting and pasting from
then on.

NOTE: Make all of the changes (there really aren't that many) BEFORE you
import any previous inventory .iar files.  Once the main identity values
are changed, any subsequent imported assets will inherit the new UUID
for ownership.  Also, I'm not sure what OpenSim version you're running,
but if it's 0.7.x the main tables you need to be concerned with are:

auth (UUID field)
useraccounts (PrincipleID field)
inventoryfolders (agentID field)
estate_settings (EstateOwner field)

Hope this helps.  Good luck and happy hacking...

Jason (.core)

Re: Moving Avatars from Region to Region

Levi Martson
Thanks guys! I will give a shot!

Levi