Moving a hundred objects around

Slavin, Simon
I have a region which has about a hundred small (hand-sized) objects which need to be put in certain positions.  Once there they should must be touchable: an avatar must be able to put the mouse cursor on them and click them, and they need to get to the appropriate part of a script, which will do something I already know how to do.

I'm trying to avoid making 100 objects all with listening scripts, and having to manually change each one of those scripts every time I find a bug.  Ideally there would be something like

llMoveObjectToTarget(key target, vector pos, float tau )

or

lSetObjectPos(key target, vector pos )

but the LSL language doesn't seem to let one object boss other objects around.  Did I miss anything ?  Does anyone have any idea,  suggestions or note any faults with my idea ?

If I do have to create 100 objects all listening, with the OpenSim engine be able to deal with that many listening at once ?  It doesn't matter if the movement is a little jerky, but it does matter if any of them fail to move because they missed the message.

Simon.

Re: Moving a hundred objects around

aiaustin

>From:  Simon Slavin <[hidden email]>
>but the LSL language doesn't seem to let one object boss other
>objects around.  Did I miss anything ?  Does anyone have any
>idea,  suggestions or note any faults with my idea ?
>
>If I do have to create 100 objects all listening, with the OpenSim
>engine be able to deal with that many listening at once ?  It
>doesn't matter if the movement is a little jerky, but it does matter
>if any of them fail to move because they missed the message.

oh yes they can, I use it for controllers for multi-media pecial
effects displays and for control of parts of vehicles.

If theuy are within 30m or so of one another, make all the objects be
linked and you can send llMessageLinked messages to any of the
parts.  As I recall, they are numbered in the linked order from n-1
down to last one (the root prim) which is 0

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlMessageLinked