Multi-core Mac

Paul Fishwick
I would like to install a set of opensim regions on a multi-core Mac Pro
and had these 2 questions:

(1) For a Mac, does not install the Unix installation (via MacPorts?) or
      is there a separate installation procedure recommended?

(2) For multi-core processors such as the 4 and 8 core machines, are
      the cores used by distributing services (UGAIM and Regions) ?

-paul

--
Paul Fishwick, PhD
Professor and Director, Digital Arts and Sciences Programs

Re: Multi-core Mac

Kyle Hamilton
Anything which creates new threads will automatically distribute those
threads across the available cores.

I've been trying to figure out the best way to get the proper version
of Mono installed.  I was trying to use the disk images available from
go-mono.com, but they seem to have some... issues... when I try to use
MonoDevelop.  (I've just installed version 2.4, so let's see how this
goes.)

-Kyle H

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 8:00 AM, Paul Fishwick<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would like to install a set of opensim regions on a multi-core Mac Pro
> and had these 2 questions:
>
> (1) For a Mac, does not install the Unix installation (via MacPorts?) or
>      is there a separate installation procedure recommended?
>
> (2) For multi-core processors such as the 4 and 8 core machines, are
>      the cores used by distributing services (UGAIM and Regions) ?
>
> -paul
>

> --
> Paul Fishwick, PhD
> Professor and Director, Digital Arts and Sciences Programs
> University of Florida
> Computer & Information Science and Eng. Dept.
> Bldg. CSE, Room 301
> P.O. Box 116120
> Gainesville, FL 32611
> Email: [hidden email]
> Phone: (352) 392-1414
> Fax: (352) 392-1220
> Web: http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~fishwick

Re: Multi-core Mac

Dirk Krause

... our experience is to always compile Mono, which we do under lInux like that:
http://pastebin.ca/1464517

I wonder if this works on a Mac.
-- Dirk

Anything which creates new threads will automatically distribute those
threads across the available cores.

I've been trying to figure out the best way to get the proper version
of Mono installed.  I was trying to use the disk images available from
go-mono.com, but they seem to have some... issues... when I try to use
MonoDevelop.  (I've just installed version 2.4, so let's see how this
goes.)

-Kyle H

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 8:00 AM, Paul Fishwick<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would like to install a set of opensim regions on a multi-core Mac Pro
> and had these 2 questions:
>
> (1) For a Mac, does not install the Unix installation (via MacPorts?) or
>      is there a separate installation procedure recommended?
>
> (2) For multi-core processors such as the 4 and 8 core machines, are
>      the cores used by distributing services (UGAIM and Regions) ?
>
> -paul
>

> --
> Paul Fishwick, PhD
> Professor and Director, Digital Arts and Sciences Programs
> University of Florida
> Computer & Information Science and Eng. Dept.
> Bldg. CSE, Room 301
> P.O. Box 116120
> Gainesville, FL 32611
> Email: [hidden email]
> Phone: (352) 392-1414
> Fax: (352) 392-1220
> Web: http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~fishwick

winmail.dat (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Multi-core Mac

kusako
Hi Paul-

why not use the official Mono download for OS X?
http://www.go-mono.com/mono-downloads/download.html
You'll probably also need nant if it's not included int he above
downoad. The grab the OpneSim sources and run nant on them.
This should be pretty much it.

As the services are run as separate processes they should use the
cores. Not sure how Mono has implemented threading on OS X, but  the
OS will probably distribute the threads of each service over the cores
as well.

-markus

Zitat von "Paul Fishwick" <[hidden email]>:

> I would like to install a set of opensim regions on a multi-core Mac Pro
> and had these 2 questions:
>
> (1) For a Mac, does not install the Unix installation (via MacPorts?) or
>       is there a separate installation procedure recommended?
>
> (2) For multi-core processors such as the 4 and 8 core machines, are
>       the cores used by distributing services (UGAIM and Regions) ?
>
> -paul
>

> --
> Paul Fishwick, PhD
> Professor and Director, Digital Arts and Sciences Programs
> University of Florida
> Computer & Information Science and Eng. Dept.
> Bldg. CSE, Room 301
> P.O. Box 116120
> Gainesville, FL 32611
> Email: [hidden email]
> Phone: (352) 392-1414
> Fax: (352) 392-1220
> Web: http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~fishwick

> believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.

Re: Multi-core Mac

Kyle Hamilton
The official Mono download does not have a pkg-config .pc file.  This
breaks the build.

-Kyle H

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 3:18 AM, Markus Strickler<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Paul-
>
> why not use the official Mono download for OS X?
> http://www.go-mono.com/mono-downloads/download.html
> You'll probably also need nant if it's not included int he above
> downoad. The grab the OpneSim sources and run nant on them.
> This should be pretty much it.
>
> As the services are run as separate processes they should use the
> cores. Not sure how Mono has implemented threading on OS X, but  the
> OS will probably distribute the threads of each service over the cores
> as well.
>
> -markus
>
> Zitat von "Paul Fishwick" <[hidden email]>:
>
>> I would like to install a set of opensim regions on a multi-core Mac Pro
>> and had these 2 questions:
>>
>> (1) For a Mac, does not install the Unix installation (via MacPorts?) or
>>       is there a separate installation procedure recommended?
>>
>> (2) For multi-core processors such as the 4 and 8 core machines, are
>>       the cores used by distributing services (UGAIM and Regions) ?
>>
>> -paul
>>

>> --
>> Paul Fishwick, PhD
>> Professor and Director, Digital Arts and Sciences Programs
>> University of Florida
>> Computer & Information Science and Eng. Dept.
>> Bldg. CSE, Room 301
>> P.O. Box 116120
>> Gainesville, FL 32611
>> Email: [hidden email]
>> Phone: (352) 392-1414
>> Fax: (352) 392-1220
>> Web: http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~fishwick

>> --
>> believed to be clean.

> believed to be clean.

Re: Multi-core Mac

Kyle Hamilton
Correction: it does contain .pc files.  They're not added to the
pkg-config search path by default; the path to them is
/Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/Current/[lib|share]/pkgconfig/*.pc
.

The version of pkg-config I have is from MacPorts.  I copied the above
.pc files to /opt/local/lib/pkgconfig/ and it worked.

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 11:31 AM, Kyle Hamilton<[hidden email]> wrote:

> The official Mono download does not have a pkg-config .pc file.  This
> breaks the build.
>
> -Kyle H
>
> On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 3:18 AM, Markus Strickler<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Paul-
>>
>> why not use the official Mono download for OS X?
>> http://www.go-mono.com/mono-downloads/download.html
>> You'll probably also need nant if it's not included int he above
>> downoad. The grab the OpneSim sources and run nant on them.
>> This should be pretty much it.
>>
>> As the services are run as separate processes they should use the
>> cores. Not sure how Mono has implemented threading on OS X, but  the
>> OS will probably distribute the threads of each service over the cores
>> as well.
>>
>> -markus
>>
>> Zitat von "Paul Fishwick" <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> I would like to install a set of opensim regions on a multi-core Mac Pro
>>> and had these 2 questions:
>>>
>>> (1) For a Mac, does not install the Unix installation (via MacPorts?) or
>>>       is there a separate installation procedure recommended?
>>>
>>> (2) For multi-core processors such as the 4 and 8 core machines, are
>>>       the cores used by distributing services (UGAIM and Regions) ?
>>>
>>> -paul
>>>

>>> --
>>> Paul Fishwick, PhD
>>> Professor and Director, Digital Arts and Sciences Programs
>>> University of Florida
>>> Computer & Information Science and Eng. Dept.
>>> Bldg. CSE, Room 301
>>> P.O. Box 116120
>>> Gainesville, FL 32611
>>> Email: [hidden email]
>>> Phone: (352) 392-1414
>>> Fax: (352) 392-1220
>>> Web: http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~fishwick

>>> --
>>> believed to be clean.

>> --
>> believed to be clean.

Re: Multi-core Mac

kusako
Hi-

hm, that's odd. It just worked out of the box for me, without
downloading anything from MacPorts (pkg-config should be included with
the mono framework download). But admittedly I haven't tried with mono
2.4 yet.
You can adjust PKG_CONFIG_PATH evironment variable, so pkg-config
should find the packages.
However it is probably a better idea to just stick with one
distribution (i.e. use MacPorts or the official framework downloads).

-markus

Am 18.06.2009 um 20:40 schrieb Kyle Hamilton:

> Correction: it does contain .pc files.  They're not added to the
> pkg-config search path by default; the path to them is
> /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/Current/[lib|share]/
> pkgconfig/*.pc
> .
>
> The version of pkg-config I have is from MacPorts.  I copied the above
> .pc files to /opt/local/lib/pkgconfig/ and it worked.
>
> On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 11:31 AM, Kyle Hamilton<[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> The official Mono download does not have a pkg-config .pc file.  This
>> breaks the build.
>>
>> -Kyle H
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 3:18 AM, Markus
>> Strickler<[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Paul-
>>>
>>> why not use the official Mono download for OS X?
>>> http://www.go-mono.com/mono-downloads/download.html
>>> You'll probably also need nant if it's not included int he above
>>> downoad. The grab the OpneSim sources and run nant on them.
>>> This should be pretty much it.
>>>
>>> As the services are run as separate processes they should use the
>>> cores. Not sure how Mono has implemented threading on OS X, but  the
>>> OS will probably distribute the threads of each service over the
>>> cores
>>> as well.
>>>
>>> -markus

>>> --
>>> believed to be clean.

> believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.

Re: Multi-core Mac

Kyle Hamilton
MacPorts has 2.4_0.  The official released package from go-mono.com is 2.4_7.

-Kyle H

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Markus Strickler<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi-
>
> hm, that's odd. It just worked out of the box for me, without
> downloading anything from MacPorts (pkg-config should be included with
> the mono framework download). But admittedly I haven't tried with mono
> 2.4 yet.
> You can adjust PKG_CONFIG_PATH evironment variable, so pkg-config
> should find the packages.
> However it is probably a better idea to just stick with one
> distribution (i.e. use MacPorts or the official framework downloads).
>
> -markus
>
> Am 18.06.2009 um 20:40 schrieb Kyle Hamilton:
>
>> Correction: it does contain .pc files.  They're not added to the
>> pkg-config search path by default; the path to them is
>> /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/Current/[lib|share]/
>> pkgconfig/*.pc
>> .
>>
>> The version of pkg-config I have is from MacPorts.  I copied the above
>> .pc files to /opt/local/lib/pkgconfig/ and it worked.
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 11:31 AM, Kyle Hamilton<[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> The official Mono download does not have a pkg-config .pc file.  This
>>> breaks the build.
>>>
>>> -Kyle H

>> --
>> believed to be clean.

> believed to be clean.

Re: Multi-core Mac

kusako
Hi-

just checked with Mono 2.4_7 Framework - Universal from
http://www.go-mono.com/mono-downloads/download.html and it works
without problems. This already includes nant, pkg-config, etc.
So at least fro intel OS X 10.5 it should boil down to
  - make sure you have X11 installed
  - grab the Apple Dev Tools from http://developer.apple.com/
  - install Mono Framework from
http://www.go-mono.com/mono-downloads/download.html
  - get OpenSim source
  - ./runrunprebuild.sh
  - nant

I've tried this on two machines and it works OK. However I don't have
clean box, so it's quite possible that I already had something
installed that's not included in the above. So if anyone has a clean
OSX install at hand and wants to give this a try...

-markus AKA Kusako

Zitat von "Kyle Hamilton" <[hidden email]>:

> MacPorts has 2.4_0.  The official released package from go-mono.com is 2.4_7.
>
> -Kyle H
>
> On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Markus Strickler<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi-
>>
>> hm, that's odd. It just worked out of the box for me, without
>> downloading anything from MacPorts (pkg-config should be included with
>> the mono framework download). But admittedly I haven't tried with mono
>> 2.4 yet.
>> You can adjust PKG_CONFIG_PATH evironment variable, so pkg-config
>> should find the packages.
>> However it is probably a better idea to just stick with one
>> distribution (i.e. use MacPorts or the official framework downloads).
>>
>> -markus
>>
>> Am 18.06.2009 um 20:40 schrieb Kyle Hamilton:
>>
>>> Correction: it does contain .pc files.  They're not added to the
>>> pkg-config search path by default; the path to them is
>>> /Library/Frameworks/Mono.framework/Versions/Current/[lib|share]/
>>> pkgconfig/*.pc
>>> .
>>>
>>> The version of pkg-config I have is from MacPorts.  I copied the above
>>> .pc files to /opt/local/lib/pkgconfig/ and it worked.

>>> --
>>> believed to be clean.
>>>

>> --
>> believed to be clean.

> believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.

Re: Multi-core Mac

Kyle Hamilton
Okay.  I think I've figured this out.  If you have MacPorts (which I
have to, since I work on software other than just OpenSim -- I need
pcre and db4, among others) you need to either set your
PKG_CONFIG_PATH to everything that it currently contains
(conveniently, there's no pkgpath command to function like manpath :P)
along with the Mono framework configs, or you need to copy the files
in the Mono framework to the config paths that MacPorts is supplied
with.

Either way, it does work once you clear that problem up.

-Kyle H