Multi-user simulation design question

Irina Lipov
Hi,
I am developing multi-user educational simulation
Each user (student) should "get" the same instance of the simulation. But
they should not be able to "visit/ work on" each other simulation.(I.e. the
same avatar "works" in the laboratory, but each student plays with him and
laboratory as he wants)  As well users around the web should not be able to
"enter" our wold.
What should be a correct approach/design for such application?

Irena

Re: Multi-user simulation design question

Dr Ramesh Ramloll
Hello Irina,
Just sharing my experience building a similar application. This is for a
Chemistry 101 lab, where students are able to walk to their spots in a
classroom and do practical exercises in their space.
Unlike your set up, the students are able to see what their peers as doing
(as in a rl classroom). A practical exercise could be say.. demonstrating
their ability to build a molecule that their instructor asked them to
construct. Since every student is signed into their own 3d app (molecule
builder app) they cannot interfere with that of their peers. Each student
can also save their work, the instructor can also save the work of the
whole classroom. Each student and teacher have a bunch of other
applications for note taking and presentations etc... used the molecule App
for illustration. You could prevent any communications between peers but I
don't recommend it, and would not encourage peer or 'over the shoulder'
learning.
Just my thoughts.

On Tue, Nov 19, 2019 at 11:40 AM Irina Lipov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am developing multi-user educational simulation
> Each user (student) should "get" the same instance of the simulation. But
> they should not be able to "visit/ work on" each other simulation.(I.e. the
> same avatar "works" in the laboratory, but each student plays with him and
> laboratory as he wants)  As well users around the web should not be able to
> "enter" our wold.
> What should be a correct approach/design for such application?
>

> --
> Thanks,
> Irena

*Rameshsharma Ramloll* PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Landisville, PA;
Affiliate *Research Associate Professor*, Idaho State University,
Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: 208-240-0040
LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/rameshramloll>

Re: Multi-user simulation design question

Drang Po
Irena, maybe consider using  http://simonastick.com/   it's a little older
but easy to set up each student can run it from a thumb drive..

On the other hand if you have Servers or wish to set up a server you could
set up a Robust grid with each student having their own simulator...   If
they had their own private desktop this could work...  Its tricker to set
up but you get the option of using mesh etc and have less bugs then the
older simonastick.    On the other hand with sim on a stick they can take
it home and have total control over their little world.   You can get them
to all talk in a class room with out much problem either way.   Up to you
do you want 1 central database that you control... or allow them to have
more control....   with out knowing what your skill level is and what your
class set up is etc...  it's hard to give you details.

On Tue, Nov 19, 2019 at 8:40 AM Irina Lipov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am developing multi-user educational simulation
> Each user (student) should "get" the same instance of the simulation. But
> they should not be able to "visit/ work on" each other simulation.(I.e. the
> same avatar "works" in the laboratory, but each student plays with him and
> laboratory as he wants)  As well users around the web should not be able to
> "enter" our wold.
> What should be a correct approach/design for such application?
>

> --
> Thanks,
> Irena

Kalasiddhi Grid Co-Coordinator