Multiple regions using 0.6.7

Jabba Gruppman
Hello,

I'm a bit lost with the changes in 0.6.7 regarding how to set up
multiple regions.
Formerly I used to have several xml files in the Regions/ directory and
all was
working fine.

After OpenSim.exe was not coming up correctly after installing 0.6.7
I removed the old xml files from the Regions directory and created one
single
region manually using the interactive config of OpenSim.exe
I was successful and OpenSim.exe started without problems. After this I
found
a Regions.ini file in the Regions directory...

Unfortunately the wiki at http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Configuration
still tells
about the xml configuration which seems to be outdated now.

How is the correct way of setting up multiple regions for one single
OpenSim.exe
instance now? Maybe anyone has a good link to an example?

Jabba

Re: Multiple regions using 0.6.7

justincc
Jabba Gruppman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a bit lost with the changes in 0.6.7 regarding how to set up
> multiple regions.
> Formerly I used to have several xml files in the Regions/ directory and
> all was
> working fine.
>
> After OpenSim.exe was not coming up correctly after installing 0.6.7

You might want to go back and double check.  I still have a trunk OpenSim which
is fine using multiple region xml files.  The same should be true of 0.6.7.

> I removed the old xml files from the Regions directory and created one
> single
> region manually using the interactive config of OpenSim.exe
> I was successful and OpenSim.exe started without problems. After this I
> found
> a Regions.ini file in the Regions directory...
>
> Unfortunately the wiki at http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Configuration
> still tells
> about the xml configuration which seems to be outdated now.

You're right, this is bad, the doc really needs to be updated here.

I had completely forgotten that the regions default had changed to .ini between
0.6.6 and 0.6.7.

> How is the correct way of setting up multiple regions for one single
> OpenSim.exe
> instance now? Maybe anyone has a good link to an example?

 From reading the code, I think that it should be possible either to

1)  Specify multiple regions in a single ini file (e.g. Regions.ini).  For example

[Big Fat Region]
RegionUUID = 5ce85740-6460-43d3-ba4c-29207b010072
Location = 1000,1000
InternalAddress = 0.0.0.0
InternalPort = 9000
AllowAlternatePorts = False
ExternalHostName = 192.168.1.2
MasterAvatarFirstName = Justin
MasterAvatarLastName = Clark-Casey
MasterAvatarSandboxPassword = yeahokay

[Greek Wedding]
RegionUUID = 5c445740-6460-43d3-ba4c-444444445555
Location = 1000,1001
InternalAddress = 0.0.0.0
InternalPort = 9001
AllowAlternatePorts = False
ExternalHostName = 192.168.1.2
MasterAvatarFirstName = Justin
MasterAvatarLastName = Clark-Casey
MasterAvatarSandboxPassword = yeahokay

or spread them across multiple ini files.  Of course, the old xml files should
also work.

I'll try and change the wiki page sometime (making separate 0.6.6 and 0.6.7
sections for now, even though that's messy).  Of course, if someone else wants
to jump in and do that it would be very much appreciated :)

Justin Clark-Casey

Re: Multiple regions using 0.6.7

Karen_Palen
Just from a quick look it seems that much of the "heavy lifting" for the Wiki has already been done!

Someone does need to actually TRY the steps - and hopefully let the rest of us know here!

In my heart I just know there is something missing. :-(

Karen

> [...]
> MasterAvatarFirstName = Justin
> MasterAvatarLastName = Clark-Casey
> MasterAvatarSandboxPassword = yeahokay
>
> [Greek Wedding]
> RegionUUID = 5c445740-6460-43d3-ba4c-444444445555
> Location = 1000,1001
> InternalAddress = 0.0.0.0
> InternalPort = 9001
> AllowAlternatePorts = False
> ExternalHostName = 192.168.1.2
> MasterAvatarFirstName = Justin
> MasterAvatarLastName = Clark-Casey
> MasterAvatarSandboxPassword = yeahokay
>
> or spread them across multiple ini files.  Of course,
> the old xml files should
> also work.
>
> I'll try and change the wiki page sometime (making separate
> 0.6.6 and 0.6.7
> sections for now, even though that's messy).  Of
> course, if someone else wants
> to jump in and do that it would be very much appreciated

AHAH! Thank you, I was under the impression that the XML files were the NEW way to go!

Not hard to fix with only 6 regions, but later on ....

Karen

> I'm a bit lost with the changes in 0.6.7 regarding how to
> set up
> multiple regions.
> Formerly I used to have several xml files in the Regions/
> directory and
> all was
> working fine.
>
> After OpenSim.exe was not coming up correctly after
> installing 0.6.7
> I removed the old xml files from the Regions directory and
> created one
> single
> region manually using the interactive config of
> OpenSim.exe
> I was successful and OpenSim.exe started without problems.
> After this I
> found
> a Regions.ini file in the Regions directory...
>
> Unfortunately the wiki at http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Configuration
> still tells
> about the xml configuration which seems to be outdated
> now.
>
> How is the correct way of setting up multiple regions for
> one single
> OpenSim.exe
> instance now? Maybe anyone has a good link to an example?
>
> Jabba

Re: Multiple regions using 0.6.7

Ai Austin

>I had completely forgotten that the regions default had changed to
>.ini between 0.6.6 and 0.6.7.

Can someone with their regions set up as .ini files check that the
externally served map tiles usig the region UUID based URL work in
the new 0.6.7 release prepared by Justin?

Of this sory of format...

http://virtual.aiai.ed.ac.uk:9000/index.php?method=regionImagea664c882e87611dc95ff0800200c9a66

For me on testing 0.6.6 with .ini files, this stopped working, so I
have stuck with .xml region specification files  up to now.

More 0.6.7 ... Re: Multiple regions using 0.6.7

Jabba Gruppman
Thanks Justin for the help, I succeeded in getting up all four regions
now - but there are some more problems - and partial solutions - I want
to share...

All issues are based on release 0.6.7. I know very well that it's not
the latest rev and I will recheck all issues against an updated
installation with the latest rev later.

I am running a 64 bit Linux (Gentoo) and I have serious problems with
ODE.There still was a physical spiral object in one region making it
impossible to bring this one online with ODE. After starting with
basicphyisics and removing this object from the region, ODE did not
crash any more.

So my avie was online with bent knees...  Old problem and when I was
hopping through the hypergrid I learnt that my grid isnt the only one
with this problem. Somewhere I found the idea to enlarge the force to
use to keep the avatar standing up straight
"av_capsule_standup_tensor_linux = 1700000" - but this did not help.
Browsing the mantis another idea was to set "av_capsule_tilted = false"
which finally did the job - but leads to region crossing problems.
Anyways the avie is standing as usual but about 10 cm above the
ground...  I can live with it  ;-)   but region crossing still is an
issue as it is sometimes crashing the session due to this problem and
leaves the simulator in an unexeptable state. Relogging does not work -
session is crashing over and over again - but relogging using "Login at
home position" does the job.

I suspect the same error occured to the UCI 7000 gateway at
ucigrid04.nacs.uci.edu:9007 as this region always crashed my session
when trying to teleport to. Seems to be the same behaviour, at least
from user view. In this context it makes it impossible to tp to the region.

Next issue is the download of textures to the client viewer. Several
textures are only transferred in a lower resolution state meaning the
transfer is not finished and very often never will be. Browsing Mantis I
found some hints including a "maybe" broken jpeg module for 64 bit. The
error message
2009-10-16 01:50:07,476 WARN  - OpenMetaverse Last packet end in
JPEG2000 stream extends beyond the end of the file. filesize=70083
layerend=2147450879
2009-10-16 01:50:07,477 WARN  -
OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.Agent.TextureSender.J2KDecoderModule
[J2KDecoderModule]: JPEG2000 texture decoding failed for
7c1c3156-c8af-4400-8739-6cb68e12692e.   Is this a texture?  is it J2K?
is sometimes displayed - but there are far more textures left unfinished
as there are error messages regarding jpeg2000 decode errors. So my
guess is that this might be a different problem.

Anyways there seem to be more texture issues.
[WORLD MAP]: JPEG Map location:
http://88.198.35.20:9000/index.php?method=regionImage0470c5be5cdf4cdf87dcbc052efa1ebd
My region image is not loading and I get an error message:
2009-10-16 01:13:02,891 DEBUG -
OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.World.WorldMap.WorldMapModule [WORLD MAP]:
Sending map image jpeg
2009-10-16 01:13:02,894 WARN  -
OpenSim.Region.CoreModules.World.WorldMap.WorldMapModule [WORLD MAP]:
Unable to generate Map image
The server itself is responding so at least it is listing to the correct
port number and such. But it might be a typical 64 bit problem as well.

Grid details:
http://www.annuna.net/wiki/index.php/Annuna_Open_Grid

Justin Clark-Casey schrieb:

> Jabba Gruppman wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm a bit lost with the changes in 0.6.7 regarding how to set up
>> multiple regions.
>> Formerly I used to have several xml files in the Regions/ directory and
>> all was
>> working fine.
>>
>> After OpenSim.exe was not coming up correctly after installing 0.6.7
>>

> You might want to go back and double check.  I still have a trunk OpenSim which
> is fine using multiple region xml files.  The same should be true of 0.6.7.
>

>> I removed the old xml files from the Regions directory and created one
>> single
>> region manually using the interactive config of OpenSim.exe
>> I was successful and OpenSim.exe started without problems. After this I
>> found
>> a Regions.ini file in the Regions directory...
>>
>> Unfortunately the wiki at http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Configuration
>> still tells
>> about the xml configuration which seems to be outdated now.
>>

> You're right, this is bad, the doc really needs to be updated here.
>
> I had completely forgotten that the regions default had changed to .ini between
> 0.6.6 and 0.6.7.
>

>> How is the correct way of setting up multiple regions for one single
>> OpenSim.exe
>> instance now? Maybe anyone has a good link to an example?
>>

>  From reading the code, I think that it should be possible either to
>
> 1)  Specify multiple regions in a single ini file (e.g. Regions.ini).  For example
>
> [Big Fat Region]
> RegionUUID = 5ce85740-6460-43d3-ba4c-29207b010072
> Location = 1000,1000
> InternalAddress = 0.0.0.0
> InternalPort = 9000
> AllowAlternatePorts = False
> ExternalHostName = 192.168.1.2
> MasterAvatarFirstName = Justin
> MasterAvatarLastName = Clark-Casey
> MasterAvatarSandboxPassword = yeahokay
>
> [Greek Wedding]
> RegionUUID = 5c445740-6460-43d3-ba4c-444444445555
> Location = 1000,1001
> InternalAddress = 0.0.0.0
> InternalPort = 9001
> AllowAlternatePorts = False
> ExternalHostName = 192.168.1.2
> MasterAvatarFirstName = Justin
> MasterAvatarLastName = Clark-Casey
> MasterAvatarSandboxPassword = yeahokay
>
> or spread them across multiple ini files.  Of course, the old xml files should
> also work.
>
> I'll try and change the wiki page sometime (making separate 0.6.6 and 0.6.7
> sections for now, even though that's messy).  Of course, if someone else wants
> to jump in and do that it would be very much appreciated :)

--

*Jabba Gruppman
Annuna Technologies* (former: Bicc-in-SL.com)
Audio and Video Streaming Solutions for Second Life (and Reality)
Email: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
Emergency Mobile: +49 - (0)179 / 394 80 72
http://www.annuna.net <http://www.annuna.net/>
Visit us at: SLurl secondlife://Annuna%20Prime/121/106/22/ See you there.

Need a custom streaming solution? Need a stable and reliable shoutcast
server?
Need some server system installed? We offer complete managed server
systems and
connect them to your personal Second Life business. Streaming and/or
databases.
Contact ANNUNA TECHNOLOGIES - send a message to Jabba Gruppman!

Re: More 0.6.7 ... Re: Multiple regions using 0.6.7

Paul Fishwick
Jabba

   I am running 64 bit linux at work and had exactly the same two
problems that
you did.  The avatar problem was resolved with the default settings plus
changing
av_capsule_tilted = false. There was no other solution that worked - the
avatar's
legs were bent otherwise, or the avatar mesh intersected with the
terrain mesh. There
is still the occasional flailing of the avatar, which is something I
wish we could get rid
of, but we are just living with that:
http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~fishwick/swimming.png --
seems to be an in-between state where the avatar is neither flying nor
upright.

  As far as the textures, yes, there is something odd going on but a
recent fix was made to
transition to a library CSJ2K in 0.6.8.  You'll need to download the
bleeding edge
version, though, to take advantage of this. I am not sure if the
releases cover the
CSJ2K fix. You'll also see a huge # of warnings from CSJ2K in the
console (more
 than before with the older decoding approach), however, the
client-server interaction
regarding texture retrievals is much better. I am not sure if the new
library solves
all texture issues. There are one or two that never seem to fully
resolve regardless
of camera-focus/zooming or time waiting.  Make sure to "clear cache" in
the viewer before launching.

  Regarding region crossings, I have not had any issues, though. I am
using Standalone
with a 2x2 set of regions.

-p

Jabba Gruppman wrote:

> [...]
>> ExternalHostName = 192.168.1.2
>> MasterAvatarFirstName = Justin
>> MasterAvatarLastName = Clark-Casey
>> MasterAvatarSandboxPassword = yeahokay
>>
>> [Greek Wedding]
>> RegionUUID = 5c445740-6460-43d3-ba4c-444444445555
>> Location = 1000,1001
>> InternalAddress = 0.0.0.0
>> InternalPort = 9001
>> AllowAlternatePorts = False
>> ExternalHostName = 192.168.1.2
>> MasterAvatarFirstName = Justin
>> MasterAvatarLastName = Clark-Casey
>> MasterAvatarSandboxPassword = yeahokay
>>
>> or spread them across multiple ini files.  Of course, the old xml files should
>> also work.
>>
>> I'll try and change the wiki page sometime (making separate 0.6.6 and 0.6.7
>> sections for now, even though that's messy).  Of course, if someone else wants
>> to jump in and do that it would be very much appreciated :)

Paul Fishwick, PhD
Professor and Director, Digital Arts and Sciences Programs
University of Florida
Computer & Information Science and Eng. Dept.
Bldg. CSE, Room 301
P.O. Box 116120
Gainesville, FL 32611
Email: [hidden email]
Phone: (352) 392-1414
Fax: (352) 392-1220
Web: http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~fishwick

Re: More 0.6.7 ... Re: Multiple regions using 0.6.7

Jabba Gruppman
Thanks Paul, I will fetch the bleed edge version soon and retest with
this. This texture issue is really a pita ^^

Anyways the region crossing problem is solved and it had nothing to do
with the physics engine...  was my own fault. I still had a "gridmode =
false" in OpenSim.ini although running in gridmode when starting the
simulator with "mono ./OpenSim.exe -gridmode=true". Worked great as long
as I had the regions on one single machine. Today I connected two more
regions which are hosted on another machine and after a while I found
out that I missed this keyword in the OpenSim.ini file. Region crossing
is painless now, too - even from one to the other hardware.  ;-)

My next wish would be to check out whether the hypergrid mode is working
for my own region as a target. Until now I only "link-region" to other
grids and this is generally working although there seem to be a few
issues, but I dont know it it is still my system causing the tp-timeout
every now and then....

So, if anyone would like to fool around with hypergrid stuff, I'd like
to know if my region "Central Plaza" - should be on grid.annuna.net:9000
- is reachable from outer space ;-)
I have two regions hosted on this machine, so I dunno which one will be
mapped... or do you need to know the internal port number? It's 7101 -
just in case...

Jabba

Karen Palen wrote:
> Just from a quick look it seems that much of the "heavy lifting" for the Wiki has already been done!
>
> Someone does need to actually TRY the steps - and hopefully let the rest of us know here!
>
> In my heart I just know there is something missing. :-(

Heh, the stuff below was the result of me trying all this experimentally (I'm
often in the same position that you folks are with features that I didn't code
myself, though I do have the advantage of a lot of existing OpenSim knowledge
when trying to work stuff out :)

Just for information, I haven't yet had the chance to change the wiki -
hopefully I'll get some time next week.  Personally, I think that separate pages
linked to the main configuration change for region setup might be nice - that
way OpenSim 0.6.6 and OpenSim 0.6.7 material could be separated to reduce the
amount of material that one needs to read through.

> Karen

Justin Clark-Casey

Paul Fishwick wrote:

> Jabba
>
>    I am running 64 bit linux at work and had exactly the same two
> problems that
> you did.  The avatar problem was resolved with the default settings plus
> changing
> av_capsule_tilted = false. There was no other solution that worked - the
> avatar's
> legs were bent otherwise, or the avatar mesh intersected with the
> terrain mesh. There
> is still the occasional flailing of the avatar, which is something I
> wish we could get rid
> of, but we are just living with that:
> http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~fishwick/swimming.png --
> seems to be an in-between state where the avatar is neither flying nor
> upright.

This is interesting feedback.  Is there any feeling that it would be safe to
make av_capsule_tilted = false the default.

As for the flailing, Teravus recently committed a fix in the trunk line that may
reduce this.  If it proves stable then that will make it into 0.6.8, or maybe
even backport it to 0.6.7-post-fixes.

>   As far as the textures, yes, there is something odd going on but a
> recent fix was made to
> transition to a library CSJ2K in 0.6.8.  You'll need to download the
> bleeding edge
> version, though, to take advantage of this. I am not sure if the
> releases cover the
> CSJ2K fix. You'll also see a huge # of warnings from CSJ2K in the
> console (more
>  than before with the older decoding approach), however, the
> client-server interaction
> regarding texture retrievals is much better. I am not sure if the new
> library solves
> all texture issues. There are one or two that never seem to fully
> resolve regardless
> of camera-focus/zooming or time waiting.  Make sure to "clear cache" in
> the viewer before launching.

Unfortunately, 0.6.7 was taken just before the recent texture and protocol work
(though I don't believe that this is stable yet anyway).  So 0.6.8 should be
much better in this respect.

Whether 0.6.7 is significantly worse than previous releases or whether people
are simply trying to be more ambitious with textures in OpenSim I don't know.

> [...]
>>> MasterAvatarSandboxPassword = yeahokay
>>>
>>> [Greek Wedding]
>>> RegionUUID = 5c445740-6460-43d3-ba4c-444444445555
>>> Location = 1000,1001
>>> InternalAddress = 0.0.0.0
>>> InternalPort = 9001
>>> AllowAlternatePorts = False
>>> ExternalHostName = 192.168.1.2
>>> MasterAvatarFirstName = Justin
>>> MasterAvatarLastName = Clark-Casey
>>> MasterAvatarSandboxPassword = yeahokay
>>>
>>> or spread them across multiple ini files.  Of course, the old xml files should
>>> also work.
>>>
>>> I'll try and change the wiki page sometime (making separate 0.6.6 and 0.6.7
>>> sections for now, even though that's messy).  Of course, if someone else wants
>>> to jump in and do that it would be very much appreciated :)

Justin Clark-Casey

Re: More 0.6.7 ... Re: Multiple regions using 0.6.7

Charles Krinke-3
I think it is fair to say that 64bit support is still suffering from ODE and openjpeg issues. Most that are using OpenSim are going out of their way to use 32bit OS in both Windows and Linux.

Certainly, 64bit will be the future some time, but those working with it need to accept that they are blazing the trail a bit.

Charles

Jabba Gruppman wrote:

> [...]

>> Location = 1000,1001
>> InternalAddress = 0.0.0.0
>> InternalPort = 9001
>> AllowAlternatePorts = False
>> ExternalHostName = 192.168.1.2
>> MasterAvatarFirstName = Justin
>> MasterAvatarLastName = Clark-Casey
>> MasterAvatarSandboxPassword = yeahokay
>>
>> or spread them across multiple ini files.  Of course, the old xml files should
>> also work.
>>
>> I'll try and change the wiki page sometime (making separate 0.6.6 and 0.6.7
>> sections for now, even though that's messy).  Of course, if someone else wants
>> to jump in and do that it would be very much appreciated :)

--
Paul Fishwick, PhD
Professor and Director, Digital Arts and Sciences Programs
University of Florida
Computer & Information Science and Eng. Dept.

CSJ2K problesm (was Re: More 0.6.7 ... Re: Multiple regions using 0.6.7

Karen_Palen
I have noticed some strangeness in the J2K stuff for a while and I am trying to track down just what is happening.

Specifically if you use Meerkat or TestClient to dump out an avatar's textures some but not all of the J2K files are invalid.

Under Ubuntu 9.04 this causes the library to crash (together with whatever viewer is in use and the desktop thumbnails!).

Under Windows XP SR3 it causes IrfanView to give a "bad channel" message on these same files.

These faulty texture files are accepted as uploads with no error indication however.

The equivalent .tga files are handled with no problems both under Linux and Windows - 32 bit in each case.

Right now I am looking to the coming upgrades to Ubuntu 9.10, OpenSim 0.6.7, etc. to see if the problem has been fixed.

Once in every lifetime that does happen. :-)

When I have all that running, I plan to spend some time isolating this problem well enough to make a coherent bug report!

At this point I am not even certain just which package is actually causing the problem, only that something is broken somewhere with Jpeg 2K files that causes various tools to misbehave!

If someone else has experienced this maybe they can shed some light on it?

Karen

Charles Krinke wrote:
> I think it is fair to say that 64bit support is still suffering from
> ODE and openjpeg issues. Most that are using OpenSim are going out of
> their way to use 32bit OS in both Windows and Linux.
>
> Certainly, 64bit will be the future some time, but those working with
> it need to accept that they are blazing the trail a bit.
yes, no problem - we'll test it out. We went with 64 bit because it is the
standard for every server configuration we investigated, and because of
the addressable memory limitations (4GB) for 32 bit O/Ss.
-p

> Charles

no flailing

Paul Fishwick
Justin Clark-Casey wrote:

> This is interesting feedback.  Is there any feeling that it would be safe to
> make av_capsule_tilted = false the default.
>
> As for the flailing, Teravus recently committed a fix in the trunk line that may
> reduce this.  If it proves stable then that will make it into 0.6.8, or maybe
> even backport it to 0.6.7-post-fixes.

I think it does definitely reduce it. i just downloaded the latest head
version, and have
not seen any flailing! Thanks for suggesting it, and thanks to Teravus
for fixing it.

-p

--
Dr. Paul A. Fishwick           E-Mail: [hidden email]
Dept. of Computer & Info       Phone & FAX: (352) 392-1414