Multiples of Diva's Megaregion Server

Len W. Brown
I'm a little foggy on coordinating multiple servers and ask for some clarification...

    Using OpenSim 0.6.5.1 I've classically created multiple region xml files and utilized that method for having a single OpenSim server to host multiple regions locally.

     Having now successfully set up and logged into Diva's new distribution and having begun realizing the benefits of the megaregion concept, at least when playing around and designing objects locally, I'd like to stich together several megaregions.

     Specifically I'm wanting to connect 9 megaregions in a 3X3 grid, but want each megaregion to run independantly on 9 different computers (actually, I've found with OpenSim 0.6.5.1 that netbooks make wonderful "stackable" segregated region servers).

     So my plan is to run 9 of Diva's servers on 9 separate netbooks locally and have them all stiched together as a single "world" of 9 megaregions as a 3X3 grid.

     My main and biggest uncertainty is MySQL administration.  Do they all run off the same MySQL server?  I'm not familiar with how each region would know who the user is when logging in regardless of the regions...

     On the most basic level, what must be accomplished here to do this?  I do not need an extensive explanation, just the basics since I'm enough familiar with basic single server administration.

Thanks everyone!

- Len W. Brown

Re: Multiples of Diva's Megaregion Server

Skidz Tweak

I would be interested in the answer to this as well… I to am running the Diva server…

But from what I understand… Diva grid is made to run as a standalone… as apposed to grid mode, so not sure if its possible.

Plus if you did make the changes… wouldn't the update application mess this up?

Re: Multiples of Diva's Megaregion Server

Diva Canto
Great question! I didn't want to go there right now, because hybrid
architectures will be much easier to set up once all services are
running on the new connectors. However... let me explain very briefly
the main idea. I'll write something up as way of a blog post with more
details later today, ok?

In principle, you can stitch several standalones together to form a
larger world. The trick is to use the same MySql DB for all of them.
Having a MySql server  as the backend has this tremendous advantage that
the DB can be naturally shared among several machines. So set one of the
machines as the MySQL server, make the opensim account on it be
accessible from other machines, and carefully place the regions so that
they are adjacent.

:-)
I'll write up the details later.

Skidz Tweak wrote:

> I would be interested in the answer to this as well… I to am running the
> Diva server…
>
> But from what I understand… Diva grid is made to run as a standalone… as
> apposed to grid mode, so not sure if its possible.
>
> Plus if you did make the changes… wouldn't the update application mess
> this up?

Thank you so much for your reply.  Again, I'm tremendously pleased with your implementation so far and most certainly look forward to further enhancements to your particular distro as they become available.

And thanks for writing up something later on!

At first I was pretty hesitant about the whole "megaregion" thing to begin with bt as I got to giving it really serious consideration I began to realize it's just my stern opposition to anything different from "the norm" that sometimes causes me more grief than comfort.

After a bit of foresight I began seeing many wonderful benefits.  This original posting here for example...  I'd been working on a map of a whole island I wanted to create in OS but it would have required a grid of 5X5 regular regions to make up a total of 25 regions to manage and run.

With megaregions, I can run a simple 3X3 grid of 9 servers and wind up with the equlavent of 36 regions - substantially more overall virtual space to play with but with substantually fewer individual servers to maintain.

:)  If I were a cat I'd be purring right now.  Wait a sec, let me switch avatars...  There we go!

purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

- Len