Multiregion Terraforming

Len W. Brown
This is more or less a generalized question.  Earlier today I spent a few hours in Second Life doing nothing but flying through one region after another and the one thing that struck me was how does Linden Lab do their multi-region terraforming?  I know it's pretty simple to splice a terrain map over 9 or 25 regions in a grid, but when it comes to something as large as Second Life, with many thousands of regions, how is this accomplished?  Any ideas?

I'd also like to locate a (or some) free 9 and 25 (3X3 & 5X5) region terrain maps - anyone know of a place where such may be obtained?  Maybe a main small continent and some small islands scattered around its edge...

I'm currently maintaining a 25 region 5X5 grid on my home OpenSim server and am looking for some variety.  Currently most of the regions are perfectly flat at around 21meters.

- Len

Re: Multiregion Terraforming

Lúthien Athariel
I've created an 8 x 8 region terrain in this way:

I first created the global outlines in Bryce (though Im sure you can use any terraforming tool).
Then I exported the resulting height map to L3DT (the free Standard Edition can edit terrain as large as based on 2048 x 2048 pixels, which corresponds to an 8 x 8 region Opensim terrain), and in there I resized it to 2048 x 2048 pixels, refined my landscape, added erosion etc. and exported it as .R32 height map, which you can import in one go with the terrain-tools in OpenSim (if you have a corresponding 8 x 8 region set up.

Then I did some back-and-forth editing between OpenSim itself and L3DT - the terraforming in Opensim itself is very limited but useful at the smallest scale, and it's not all that much work to do an export-edit-import cycle with L3DT.

hth,
- l