Mumble Development

hack13
I think we need to get some development back up and going on the mumble solution, both viewer and server side. I know vivox is been really kind, but I just feel that this can be taken from us at any time. I want to find something better for us. Also vivox is nice and everything, but mumble does support spacial sound and it is cross platform. I am hoping someone will consider investigating this, it would be a great alternative.

Heck I would even be willing to support it if they needed to do like an indiegogo or something for its development.

Re: Mumble Development

Nick Zwart

I agree with this. We use Vivox for educational language projects and can not work without voice. If vivox ever stops giving this great (thank you so much Vivox) options we have a big problem.
Lets hope Vivox will keep on providing, but we need some backup, somehow.
Nick Zwart - 3DLES

Op 16 jun. 2013 20:25 schreef "hack13" <[hidden email]> het volgende:
I think we need to get some development back up and going on the mumble
solution, both viewer and server side. I know vivox is been really kind, but
I just feel that this can be taken from us at any time. I want to find
something better for us. Also vivox is nice and everything, but mumble does
support spacial sound and it is cross platform. I am hoping someone will
consider investigating this, it would be a great alternative.

Heck I would even be willing to support it if they needed to do like an
indiegogo or something for its development.

Re: Mumble Development

Michel DENIS
I also agree -- for an 'open' and independant environment like Opensim, it does not make much sense to me that today it does not 'also' provide an open source voice solution.

What are the problems to solve with Mumble to make it work with Opensim ?

-michel
Nick Zwart - 3DLES wrote:

[...]

We need a module that works in most common day viewers, perhaps someone who will add the module built in with detection. I know that SpotOn3D used mumble cross platform with auto-detection because it could be used in other grids that had vivox voice, and would auto-switch.

But then on the server side of the issue, we need spacial sound to work because just hearing everyone equal volume is nice and all, but not what we are used to and plus mumble is natively supportive of spacial sound so it should be doable.

Re: Mumble Development

Mumble was previously working with OpenSimulator not that long ago - if it is not right now then that's probably because
the de facto interfaces have changed slightly and it would not be much effort to get it compiling again.

The client side is quite static as well, so I believe the Murmur client side executable is still a drop-in replacement
for SLVoice.exe

The most vexing issue for me is that the Mumble module was released under GPL, which stops it being bundled with the
OpenSimulator distribution which does not use a copyleft license (being BSD).  I would love to see a BSD licensed
version produced.  Of course, this doesn't stop it being bundled with some downstream distribution where it's easier to
mix licenses (as the core coding isn't being done there) but this is still awkward.

On 17/06/13 09:32, Michel DENIS wrote:

> I also agree -- for an 'open' and independant environment like Opensim, it does not make much sense to me that today it
> does not 'also' provide an open source voice solution.
>
> What are the problems to solve with Mumble to make it work with Opensim ?
>
> -michel
> Nick Zwart - 3DLES wrote:
>>
>> I agree with this. We use Vivox for educational language projects and can not work without voice. If vivox ever stops
>> giving this great (thank you so much Vivox) options we have a big problem.
>> Lets hope Vivox will keep on providing, but we need some backup, somehow.
>> Nick Zwart - 3DLES
>>
>> Op 16 jun. 2013 20:25 schreef "hack13" <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> het volgende:
>>
>>     I think we need to get some development back up and going on the mumble
>>     solution, both viewer and server side. I know vivox is been really kind, but
>>     I just feel that this can be taken from us at any time. I want to find
>>     something better for us. Also vivox is nice and everything, but mumble does
>>     support spacial sound and it is cross platform. I am hoping someone will
>>     consider investigating this, it would be a great alternative.
>>
>>     Heck I would even be willing to support it if they needed to do like an
>>     indiegogo or something for its development.
>>

>>     --

OSVW Consulting

Re: Mumble Development

hack13
Me and 3 other backers are trying to get someone to fix up mumble for opensim latest version here: https://www.bountysource.com/issues/1367336-overhaul anyone can come claim or increase the bounty. Secondly you can read about vivox's response here: http://www.hypergridbusiness.com/2014/01/zetamex-announces-bounty-for-mumble-development/

Re: Mumble Development

R.Gunther
First question, and most important one.
How does mumble get implemented at the viewerside ?
Thats the biggest problem for now, the best would be option to have it
selectable in the viewer
so people can choicebetween mumble and slplugin. (autodetect would be
better but sounds complex)

On 2014-01-05 07:14, hack13 wrote:

> Me and 3 other backers are trying to get someone to fix up mumble for opensim
> latest version here: https://www.bountysource.com/issues/1367336-overhaul
> anyone can come claim or increase the bounty. Secondly you can read about
> vivox's response here:
> http://www.hypergridbusiness.com/2014/01/zetamex-announces-bounty-for-mumble-development/

Re: Mumble Development

hack13
I have been working with Cinder Roxley from the Firestorm Viewer Team.
She is creating a universal viewer plugin based off of Armin
Weatherwax's "Re-Whisper" that will have instructions on how to
implement it in any viewer. It auto detects what voice is needed on
the region, that tech was developed by Armin for the detection. But
now that the code is outdated, Cinder can't test the code till it is
compile again.