Mumble Voice is Online

Volker Gaessler

As announced, vComm Solutions prepared together with Snoopy and Dreamland Metaverse the region Mumble Sandbox with mumble voice enabled.  You will need to replace SLVoice.exe in order to use the mumble integration. The installation instructions can be found here: http://whisper.vcomm.ch/forum.

The installer contains two scripts to switch between SL and mumble voice. However, for now you will have to logout, switch and re-log again. An automatic switch without the need to re-log is under work.

Even though the software seems to run very stable, the source code still contains some wild hacks. As soon as these are cleaned up, the source code of the client and the region module it will made available open source. Please check for updates here:  http://whisper.vcomm.ch/forum.

Cheers

Volker Gaessler

Re: Mumble Voice is Online

aiaustin

>From: "Volker Gaessler" <[hidden email]>
>
>As announced, vComm Solutions prepared together with Snoopy and Dreamland
>Metaverse the region Mumble Sandbox with mumble voice enabled.  You will
>need to replace SLVoice.exe in order to use the mumble integration. The
>installation instructions can be found here: http://whisper.vcomm.ch/forum.

Really good news Volker.  An initial OpenSim Wiki page to make the
links easily available is at:

      http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Mumble

Re: Mumble Voice is Online

James Stallings II
This is great news Volker, but waiting for the code to be 'bug free' before releasing it as open source is not exactly the spirit of open source ;)

I encourage you to release the code now and let other eyes and hands make it better :)

Cheers, and thanks again for your effort getting this put together.

Best regards,
James/Hiro Protagonist
SimHost.com

Re: Mumble Voice is Online

Neil Canham
This is indeed good news - I've been testing Whisper for a while and am happy to say it's been working great.  More background here

Neil Canham
CTO Flying Island Ltd
http://www.flyingisland.co.uk

From: "Volker Gaessler" <[hidden email]>

--
Director
Flying Island Limited

Flying Island Limited: the 'Really Useful' Web

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and could contain information that is privileged to
the intended user of the e-mail address to which it was addressed. It must not be copied, disclosed or
distributed under any circumstances without the prior authorisation of the sender. If you are not the intended
recipient please contact [hidden email] and then permanently delete the original message.
Please note that any views expressed by the sender in this email are not necessarily those of Flying Island Limited.
Also note that while we endeavour to try to ensure that this e-mail has been swept for viruses, we do not
accept responsibility for any damage or loss caused in respect of any viruses transmitted by the e-mail.
Please ensure your own checks are carried out before any attachments are opened.

Flying Island Limited
Registered Office - 22B Priory Crescent, Southsea, Hampshire PO4 8RL
Registered in England and Wales: Registered No. 07121424

Re: Mumble Voice is Online

Damon Hindermann
How do I set this up on my server?  Where do I download the server module, settings, etc.?  Is this actually Mumble or is it a version of it called Whisper?

-Damon

Re: Mumble Voice is Online

Volker Gaessler

How do I set this up on my server?  Where do I download the server module, settings, etc.?  Is this actually Mumble or is it a version of it called Whisper?

--> You will use the unchanged Mumble server (called Murmur) and a region module called MurmurVoice. Communication is over ICE. The module including instructions will be available when the source code is published. Meanwhile, Snoopy at dreamland can provide offers mumble enabled sims for beta testing.

Re: Mumble Voice is Online

From: "Volker Gaessler" <[hidden email]>
>--> You will use the unchanged Mumble server (called Murmur) and a region
>module called MurmurVoice. Communication is over ICE. The module including
>instructions will be available when the source code is published. Meanwhile,
>Snoopy at dreamland can provide offers mumble enabled sims for beta testing.

It would be good to use standard ICE/SIP ports to help in managing
firwall setup, and document those in the setup instructions and
perhaps also at the Firewall and Mumble pages on the OpenSim Wiki

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Network_Settings

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Mumble

Re: Mumble Voice is Online

enauman
Is there an advantage to using this Mumble/Whisper setup over Freeswitch/SLVoice? It doesn't yet offer spatial voice so is it easier to configure? (I"m still trying, working with my LAN's sysadmin, to get Freeswitch working outside our firewall.) Also, I might be thick-headed here (easily), but it seems you're saying all clients HAVE to swap SLVoice.exe with whisper in order to access voice in your region if you're supplying it with the mumble module. Is this the case? If so, I can't see how that's practical.
Thanks, ERik

Re: Mumble Voice is Online

Jeroen van Veen
On Thursday 19 August 2010 15:32:22 enauman wrote:
> Is there an advantage to using this Mumble/Whisper setup over
> Freeswitch/SLVoice? It doesn't yet offer spatial voice so is it easier to
> configure? (I"m still trying, working with my LAN's sysadmin, to get
> Freeswitch working outside our firewall.) Also, I might be thick-headed
> here (easily), but it seems you're saying all clients HAVE to swap
> SLVoice.exe with whisper in order to access voice in your region if you're
> supplying it with the mumble module. Is this the case? If so, I can't see
> how that's practical.
> Thanks, ERik
I can see two advantages here: mumble has in theory better sound
quality(through the celt codec) with less bandwidth, and replacing Vivox'
implementation with an open-source one, would make it possible to distribute
it by default with the ll-based viewers. I just wonder whether it will be
crossplatform, and whether it makes sense to keep a bsd-license when the ll-
viewer is gpl'ed.

kind regards,

Jeroen

Re: Mumble Voice is Online

Neil Canham
I'm sure Volker will give you more details, but my take on it is:

  • Existing SLVoice when used with Freeswitch falls back to low quality as mentioned in the comments here http://zaki.asia/2009/04/28/freeswitch-module-in-opensim/ whereas replacing SLVoice allows the high quality Mumble codec to be used (I've been using Whisper for some time, it is very clear)
  • The new SLVoice that is being provided supports lip sync and the 'overhead' green bracket speaker indication, which are missing when using Freeswitch.
  • People tend to use 3rd party viewers such as Hippo or Imprudence to connect to OpenSim - these do not come with SLVoice so you need to grab an SLVoice from somewhere anyway
  • If this proves popular, being OpenSource it will hopefully be possible to bundle the new SLVoice with a third party viewer such as Imprudence

--
Neil Canham

Re: Mumble Voice is Online

Robert L martin
Would it be possible to do some hacking around to enable use of the
Mumble SL voice as a "passthrough" so that a region that has the LL SL
Voice in use could still have it??
--
Robert L Martin

Re: Mumble Voice is Online

James Hughes
On 08/19/2010 09:32 AM, enauman wrote:

> Is there an advantage to using this Mumble/Whisper setup over
> Freeswitch/SLVoice? It doesn't yet offer spatial voice so is it easier to
> configure? (I"m still trying, working with my LAN's sysadmin, to get
> Freeswitch working outside our firewall.) Also, I might be thick-headed here
> (easily), but it seems you're saying all clients HAVE to swap SLVoice.exe
> with whisper in order to access voice in your region if you're supplying it
> with the mumble module. Is this the case? If so, I can't see how that's
> practical.
> Thanks, ERik

Vivox is limiting the use of their application to the SL grid
(http://www.vivox.com/open/faq.php).

~BlueWall

Re: Mumble Voice is Online

Volker Gaessler

That is all correct Neil, thanks for the comments. In addition I would like to add some points:

·         The speaker indication also enables OpenSim for Speech Gestures.

·         I am working on positional sound which allows you to hear from which direction the voice comes from. However, spatial sound (lower volume with higher distance) is also possible but a bit more tricky. Mumble uses automatic gain control. So some more investigation is necessary there.

·         Snoopy Pfeffer and myself are working on a proxy solution, where whisper passes the communication to the original SLVoice when a Freeswitch/Vivox region is detected. It will then not be necessary to switch and relog.

Cheers

Volker

Re: Mumble Voice is Online

paul emery
I have successfully installed the whisper.exe on hippo client and have had excellent results trying it out on the mumbles sandbox. In fact after visiting the mumbles sandbox and tp to my own region i found that it still was working. I also found that it seemed to be connected over the whole grid in as much as my friend went back to membles sandbox and we could still chat.

Question: I installed on imprudence and then when tried to start imprudence 1.3.0 imprudence would not start and the error message was something like "couldn't find the entry point for xxx.dll". Can't quite remember what the dll was. I could reproduce if that would be helpful