Native FBX Support

Maxwell, Douglas CIV (US)
Two questions:

1)  Has anyone worked on native FBX support for open sim?
2)  Would the content creators find it useful?

Douglas Maxwell, Ph.D.
Science and Technology Manager
Virtual World Strategic Applications
U.S. Army Research Lab
Human Research & Engineering Directorate
(c) (407) 242-0209

Re: Native FBX Support

aiaustin
At 15:16 20/03/2017, Maxwell, Douglas CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US) wrote:
>1)  Has anyone worked on native FBX support for open sim?
>2)  Would the content creators find it useful?

I have not seen anyone who has provided that capability Doug.

It would be useful for compatibility to Unity3D and other emerging
virtual worlds which can use FBX models.

Note the reverse route of taking OpenSim content via an OAR via the
OAR Converter into Collada mesh and then into Unity3D....

http://blog.inf.ed.ac.uk/atate/2015/10/24/opensim-oar-convert-to-unity-scene-with-windows-interface/

Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: Native FBX Support

Maxwell, Douglas CIV (US)
@Cinder - each successive training scenario we develop using the Open Simulator platform tries to improve over the previous scenarios.  It would be helpful to be able to upload our work into MOSES/Halcyon directly from Maya or 3DSMax without the intermediary step of converting to Collada.

You are right about the license; Need to be careful.  I took a quick look and the fbx files can be treated like a black box.  We don't need to know the specifics of what's in the files to be able to extract the vertices, vertex indices, normals, UV coords, materials and animations using the FBX SDK.  (This is good news.)  It may explain how Blender is able to work with FBX successfully.

Douglas Maxwell, Ph.D.
Science and Technology Manager
Virtual World Strategic Applications
U.S. Army Research Lab
Human Research & Engineering Directorate
(c) <a tabindex="0" href="tel:%28407%29%20242-0209" target="" value="&#43;14072420209" style="white-space:normal; word-spacing:0px; text-transform:none; color:rgb(17,85,204); font:13px arial,sans-serif; letter-spacing:normal; background-color:rgb(255,255,255); text-indent:0px">(407) 242-0209

Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: Native FBX Support

Marcus Llewellyn
Just as a note, Blender's FBX implementation does not rely on the official SDK.  It is an independent implementation written in Python, as the SDK's EULA was considered problematic with the GPL license. After many years of work, it performs quite well, but isn't perfect.

On Mar 20, 2017 1:07 PM, "Maxwell, Douglas CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US)" <[hidden email]> wrote:
@Cinder - each successive training scenario we develop using the Open Simulator platform tries to improve over the previous scenarios.  It would be helpful to be able to upload our work into MOSES/Halcyon directly from Maya or 3DSMax without the intermediary step of converting to Collada.

You are right about the license; Need to be careful.  I took a quick look and the fbx files can be treated like a black box.  We don't need to know the specifics of what's in the files to be able to extract the vertices, vertex indices, normals, UV coords, materials and animations using the FBX SDK.  (This is good news.)  It may explain how Blender is able to work with FBX successfully.

Douglas Maxwell, Ph.D.
Science and Technology Manager
Virtual World Strategic Applications
U.S. Army Research Lab
Human Research & Engineering Directorate
(c) <a href="tel:%28407%29%20242-0209" value="+14072420209" style="white-space:normal;word-spacing:0px;text-transform:none;color:rgb(17,85,204);font:13px arial,sans-serif;letter-spacing:normal;background-color:rgb(255,255,255);text-indent:0px" target="_blank">(407) 242-0209

--
Cinder Roxley
Sent with Airmail

On March 20, 2017 at 10:19:48 AM, Maxwell, Douglas CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US) ([hidden email] < Caution-mailto:[hidden email] > ) wrote:

Two questions:

1) Has anyone worked on native FBX support for open sim?
2) Would the content creators find it useful?

Douglas Maxwell, Ph.D.
Science and Technology Manager
Virtual World Strategic Applications
U.S. Army Research Lab
Human Research & Engineering Directorate
(c) <a href="tel:(407)%20242-0209" value="+14072420209" target="_blank">(407) 242-0209