Netcat OpenSim

Yahya
Hello all,

Presently, I am trying to create a connection between in-world OpenSim object and an external server (Linux) using netcat.

What is the best possible way to achieve this and are there any similar scripts that have managed to create a socket connection between OpenSim and and external server (Linux)?

Much appreciated

Thanks

Re: Netcat OpenSim

Melanie
> That isn't possible to my knowledge. The network support on LSL is HHTP only. This isn't Opensim per se, Avination is more like SL than Opensim.

Re: Netcat OpenSim

Toni Alatalo-2
Do you think non-LSL solutions, as in Opensim Modules (region, app or something), are a practical alternative for these kinds of things for people?

Yes the original poster did say ‘script’, but perhaps writing a (c#) region module would still work for him?

Sent from Windows Mail

> That isn't possible to my knowledge. The network support on LSL is HHTP only. This isn't Opensim per se, Avination is more like SL than Opensim.

Re: Netcat OpenSim

justincc
Yes, that's what I was going to suggest.  One could write a region module to facilitate the direct network connection
and have it register new functions that can be accessed directly via a script if one still wants that component.

On 20/05/13 20:15, [hidden email] wrote:

> Do you think non-LSL solutions, as in Opensim Modules (region, app or something), are a practical alternative for these
> kinds of things for people?
> Yes the original poster did say ‘script’, but perhaps writing a (c#) region module would still work for him?
> Sent from Windows Mail

OSVW Consulting

Re: Netcat OpenSim

Melanie
> That is a viable solution but probably not easily do in a generic fashion.
It is, however very interesting for custom solutions.

Melanie

Re: Netcat OpenSim

Mic Bowman
I have a set of region modules that implement a "remote control" API for opensim (see https://github.com/cmickeyb/scisim-addons). Its very "young" code...

There is a network monitoring example script here:

There is a lot of change in how I'm architecting the API so I'm not promising the script works (though it did at one point in time).

If you look through the scripts directory there, you can see several more examples of how to use the API.

There isn't much documentation... but if you want to give it a try, I'll help you walk through installation.

--mic

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 8:42 AM, Yahya <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello all,

Presently, I am trying to create a connection between in-world OpenSim
object and an external server (Linux) using netcat.

What is the best possible way to achieve this and are there any similar
scripts that have managed to create a socket connection between OpenSim and
and external server (Linux)?

Much appreciated

Thanks

Re: Netcat OpenSim

Yahya
Thanks for the replies guys,

I was afraid that the only option was through region modules as I was thinking more along the lines of using c# scripts.

Thanks mic, I have sent you an email.

Re: Netcat OpenSim

Jeff Kelley
At 3:41 AM -0700 5/21/13, Yahya wrote:

>I was afraid that the only option was through region modules as I was
>thinking more along the lines of using c# scripts.

Having fun with C# and UDP :

http://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/opensim-users/2011-May/007213.html

--
Jean-Yves Bernier