Neutral Avatar - Hippo?

aiaustin
Anyone feel up to creating a starter avatar that looks like a hippo
that can be distributed as an IAR?  It would be a great addition to
allow a male, female and "neutral" avatar as starters and follow the
OpenSimulator logo style with its 3 "users" on it.

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OpenSim_Graphics

Re: Neutral Avatar - Hippo?

Marck-2
Hello Ai,

Your idea of using a hippo as a starter avatar is great. I took the freely available Baby Hippo and made an avatar from it. See http://www.osgrid.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2705.

Does this meet your notion for such an avatar?

Marck

Ai Austin wrote:
> Anyone feel up to creating a starter avatar that looks like a hippo that
> can be distributed as an IAR? It would be a great addition to allow a
> male, female and "neutral" avatar as starters and follow the
> OpenSimulator logo style with its 3 "users" on it.
>
> http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OpenSim_Graphics

Re: Neutral Avatar - Hippo?

Ben Faust
Great job! I'm going to use it for our Neutral avatar. Thanks!

On 8/26/2010 11:12 AM, Marck wrote:

> Hello Ai,
>
> Your idea of using a hippo as a starter avatar is great. I took the
> freely available Baby Hippo and made an avatar from it. See
> http://www.osgrid.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2705.
>
> Does this meet your notion for such an avatar?
>
> Marck
>
> Ai Austin wrote:
>> Anyone feel up to creating a starter avatar that looks like a hippo that
>> can be distributed as an IAR? It would be a great addition to allow a
>> male, female and "neutral" avatar as starters and follow the
>> OpenSimulator logo style with its 3 "users" on it.
>>
>> http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OpenSim_Graphics

Re: Neutral Avatar - Hippo?

Diva Canto
Super cute!
Is this really public domain?

Ben Faust wrote:

> Great job! I'm going to use it for our Neutral avatar. Thanks!
>
> On 8/26/2010 11:12 AM, Marck wrote:
>> Hello Ai,
>>
>> Your idea of using a hippo as a starter avatar is great. I took the
>> freely available Baby Hippo and made an avatar from it. See
>> http://www.osgrid.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2705.
>>
>> Does this meet your notion for such an avatar?
>>
>> Marck
>>
>> Ai Austin wrote:
>>> Anyone feel up to creating a starter avatar that looks like a hippo that
>>> can be distributed as an IAR? It would be a great addition to allow a
>>> male, female and "neutral" avatar as starters and follow the
>>> OpenSimulator logo style with its 3 "users" on it.
>>>
>>> http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OpenSim_Graphics

Re: Neutral Avatar - Hippo?

Marck-2
Well, I found not any license information for the Baby and Mother Hippo that I used as a base. In fact, I got them from your mega-region "Diva's Office"; but I have seen them with full permissions and free to copy at various places in OSgrid, too. I assumed that they are free to use. As long as there are no restrictions on those hippos, the hippo avatar as a derivative work is in the public domain.

[hidden email] wrote:

> Super cute!
> Is this really public domain?
>
> Ben Faust wrote:
>> Great job! I'm going to use it for our Neutral avatar. Thanks!
>>
>> On 8/26/2010 11:12 AM, Marck wrote:
>>> Hello Ai,
>>>
>>> Your idea of using a hippo as a starter avatar is great. I took the
>>> freely available Baby Hippo and made an avatar from it. See
>>> http://www.osgrid.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2705.
>>>
>>> Does this meet your notion for such an avatar?
>>>
>>> Marck

Re: Neutral Avatar - Hippo?

Diva Canto
Yes, same here.
But since we are talking about the famous Hippos that everybody knows
and uses, I took this opportunity to try to find out if anyone here
knows anything about their origin. Are these nebadon's?

Marck wrote:

> Well, I found not any license information for the Baby and Mother Hippo
> that I used as a base. In fact, I got them from your mega-region "Diva's
> Office"; but I have seen them with full permissions and free to copy at
> various places in OSgrid, too. I assumed that they are free to use. As
> long as there are no restrictions on those hippos, the hippo avatar as a
> derivative work is in the public domain.
>
> [hidden email] wrote:
>> Super cute!
>> Is this really public domain?
>>
>> Ben Faust wrote:
>>> Great job! I'm going to use it for our Neutral avatar. Thanks!

Re: Neutral Avatar - Hippo?

James Stallings II
If it were up to me, we'd find something more appealing than a hippo for the mascot. The inheritance of anything from Second Life to me is pretty distasteful.

Not likely to be a popular opinion so I don't expect much to come of it, but my 0.02$US anyway.

(I mean seriously, a fat, sluggish river-dwelling herbivore that is so close to the next level down on the food chain that the carp literally follow it around to eat as it defecates -- why was that ever a mascot for anything in the first place?)

Ai Austin wrote:
Anyone feel up to creating a starter avatar that looks like a hippo
that
can be distributed as an IAR? It would be a great addition to allow a
male, female and "neutral" avatar as starters and follow the
OpenSimulator logo style with its 3 "users" on it.

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OpenSim_Graphics

Re: Neutral Avatar - Hippo?

justincc
On 26/08/10 22:03, James Stallings II wrote:

> If it were up to me, we'd find something more appealing than a hippo for
> the mascot. The inheritance of anything from Second Life to me is pretty
> distasteful.
>
> Not likely to be a popular opinion so I don't expect much to come of it,
> but my 0.02$US anyway.
>
> (I mean seriously, a fat, sluggish river-dwelling herbivore that is so
> close to the next level down on the food chain that the carp literally
> follow it around to eat as it defecates -- why was that ever a mascot
> for anything in the first place?)

Maybe because they're very aggressive towards humans.  Not sure what this says about Second Life :)

Re: Neutral Avatar - Hippo?

Karen Palen
I agree that we should have a better mascot, but I am at a loss (for once) to suggest anything!

A falcon? Flying high and free? Problems ...

Karen

Ai Austin wrote:
Anyone feel up to creating a starter avatar that looks like a hippo
that
can be distributed as an IAR? It would be a great addition to allow a
male, female and "neutral" avatar as starters and follow the
OpenSimulator logo style with its 3 "users" on it.

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OpenSim_Graphics

Re: Neutral Avatar - Hippo?

InuYasha Meiji
You could make it an Ostrich.  They Run fast just like OpenSim, and when
people shorten it to OS grid people will think it stands for Ostrich.
lol.  But do we really want to run around as Newbie Ostriches.  But it
had to be said.

Karen Palen wrote:

> I agree that we should have a better mascot, but I am at a loss (for
> once) to suggest anything!
>
> A falcon? Flying high and free? Problems ...
>
> Karen
>
> On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 2:03 PM, James Stallings II
>
>     If it were up to me, we'd find something more appealing than a
>     hippo for the mascot. The inheritance of anything from Second Life
>     to me is pretty distasteful.
>
>     Not likely to be a popular opinion so I don't expect much to come
>     of it, but my 0.02$US anyway.
>
>     (I mean seriously, a fat, sluggish river-dwelling herbivore that
>     is so close to the next level down on the food chain that the carp
>     literally follow it around to eat as it defecates -- why was that
>     ever a mascot for anything in the first place?)
>

>     On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 2:09 PM, <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>         Yes, same here.
>         But since we are talking about the famous Hippos that
>         everybody knows and uses, I took this opportunity to try to
>         find out if anyone here knows anything about their origin. Are
>         these nebadon's?
>

>         Marck wrote:
>
>             Well, I found not any license information for the Baby and
>             Mother Hippo that I used as a base. In fact, I got them
>             from your mega-region "Diva's Office"; but I have seen
>             them with full permissions and free to copy at various
>             places in OSgrid, too. I assumed that they are free to
>             use. As long as there are no restrictions on those hippos,
>             the hippo avatar as a derivative work is in the public domain.
>
>             [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>                 Super cute!
>                 Is this really public domain?
>
>                 Ben Faust wrote:
>
>                     Great job! I'm going to use it for our Neutral
>                     avatar. Thanks!
>
>                     On 8/26/2010 11:12 AM, Marck wrote:
>
>                         Hello Ai,
>
>                         Your idea of using a hippo as a starter avatar
>                         is great. I took the
>                         freely available Baby Hippo and made an avatar
>                         from it. See
>                         http://www.osgrid.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2705
>                         <http://www.osgrid.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2705>.
>
>                         Does this meet your notion for such an avatar?
>
>                         Marck
>
>                         Ai Austin wrote:
>
>                             Anyone feel up to creating a starter
>                             avatar that looks like a hippo
>                             that
>                             can be distributed as an IAR? It would be
>                             a great addition to allow a
>                             male, female and "neutral" avatar as
>                             starters and follow the
>                             OpenSimulator logo style with its 3
>                             "users" on it.
>
>                             http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OpenSim_Graphics

Re: Neutral Avatar - Hippo?

Karen Palen
ROTFLLMAO!!!!

If EVER there was an excuse for using that the you have provided it!

The images that conjures up! WOW!

Karen

                       Ai Austin wrote:

                           Anyone feel up to creating a starter
                           avatar that looks like a hippo
                           that
                           can be distributed as an IAR? It would be
                           a great addition to allow a
                           male, female and "neutral" avatar as
                           starters and follow the
                           OpenSimulator logo style with its 3
                           "users" on it.

                           http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OpenSim_Graphics

   --     ===================================
   http://osgrid.org
   http://twitter.com/jstallings2
   http://www.linkedin.com/pub/5/770/a49

Re: Neutral Avatar - Hippo?

Marcus Alexander Link
How about a small, green Android .-)
No textures, just prim attachments.

--
Marcus A. Link
Entrepreneur @Manupool ®

http://www.manupool.de
Mobile: +49 1577 422 0000

Re: Neutral Avatar - Hippo?

At 17:46 26/08/2010, [hidden email] wrote:
>Your idea of using a hippo as a starter avatar is great. I took the
>freely available Baby Hippo and made an avatar from it. See
>http://www.osgrid.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2705.

Very nice Marck thanks... See my line up of the 3 avatars fro Openvue at

      http://virtual.aiai.ed.ac.uk:8002/wifi/images/site-avatars.jpg

It could be a good idea to regularly include a notecard in such IARs
as we make them  stating the contents and provenance of the items. As
that gets lost alogn the way since creator UUIDs are not resolved
across our grids.  One day we might have to think about a web based
UUID resolution scheme where local resolution fails?

Re: Neutral Avatar - Hippo?

LS Tinker
I like the ostrich idea - but I think the ostrich-like, two-headed, three-legged Pierson's Puppeteer from Larry Niven's Known Space stories could be more appropriate.

                       Ai Austin wrote:

                           Anyone feel up to creating a starter
                           avatar that looks like a hippo
                           that
                           can be distributed as an IAR? It would be
                           a great addition to allow a
                           male, female and "neutral" avatar as
                           starters and follow the
                           OpenSimulator logo style with its 3
                           "users" on it.

                           http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OpenSim_Graphics

   --     ===================================
   http://osgrid.org
   http://twitter.com/jstallings2
   http://www.linkedin.com/pub/5/770/a49

Tinker  :  lovejoysim.com  :  We ran away from the circus to be accountants

Re: Neutral Avatar - Hippo?

Robert Klein
Whoa now wait just a minute, the venerable hippo is truly king of it's domain, feces and all. It may seem quietly gentle and slovenly but nothing and I mean nothing messes with it, not even the huge crocodiles that share it's watery world. A hippo could snap one in half without even breaking a sweat. Plus they clearly out danced the reptiles in "Fantasia". Even on land when a hippo goes about grazing it is feared and given a wide path from even the top predators. Hippos are responsible for more human deaths per year than any other animal in Africa. Have you ever seen a single hippo performing tricks for humans? I think not! Fear the hippo!!! I mean at least we didn't choose a penguin. :)

-Robert

Re: Neutral Avatar - Hippo?

James Stallings II
Consider the frog, and his predisposition to 'debug' :3

Cheers
James/Hiro
SimHost.com