New Blog for Opensim and OSGrid

Snoopy Pfeffer
Hi all

I have started my blog for Opensim and OSGrid today.

You can already find the following articles at http://snoopypfeffer.wordpress.com/

- OSGrid - Why and How to Join
- Network Connectivity for Opensim
- Installing Mono and MySQL
- Installing and Configuring Opensim
- How to Connect your Region to OSGrid
- Installing Opensim Extensions
- Opensim Service Management
- Viewer for OSGrid and Opensim Worlds
- Where to get Support for Opensim

My goal is, to collect all information pieces that are widely distributed at the moment and to add information that even is not documented yet, like how to use Monit for Opensim service management. I want to provide a step by step guide for people interested in setting up their own Opensim server on a Linux server (I use Ubuntu).

I do not repeat what is documented somewhere else already. I just reference such documents. Instead I try to give an overview how all parts fit together. I describe how to get an Opensim region server up and running, how to integrate it in a grid like OSGrid and how to maintain the service in an efficient way. This blog intends to provide additional information wherever this might be useful.

Snoopy Pfeffer
OSGrid and Second Life resident

Re: New Blog for Opensim and OSGrid

Tarak Kutther
Hey! I just scanned through your blog on OSGrid - great stuff! - can I put something on the wish list please. How to get your heightmaps - designed on your home computer across into your VPS - I have had Samba suggested or there  might be a drop box option - I looked at the material on Samba and went crossed eyed trying to figure out how it works - what needs to be installed and how to set it up.

Thanks for the blog, it will be of great assistance

Tarak Voss

2009/5/10 Snoopy Pfeffer <[hidden email]>
[...]

Hello Tarak

My renters of whole regions usually use "download / upload RAW terrain" in the Region/Estate tool that you can find in the World menu, Terrain tab. Did you try that?

Snoopy

Re: New Blog for Opensim and OSGrid

Dr Scofield
cool stuff! perhaps sean can add it to planet.opensim.us?

        cheers,
        DrS/dirk

dr dirk husemann ---- virtual worlds research ---- ibm zurich research lab
SL: dr scofield ---- [hidden email] ---- http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/