New language for Downloads Page

Sean Dague-2
A lot of what transpired was because it was apparently not clear enough
about not using trunk.  So that there isn't such confusion in the
future, I've removed the direct SVN link off the front page, and moved
the trunk links to this section of the Downloads page
(http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Download) :

Experimental Upstream Code

There Be Dragons Beyond This Point

If you are truly feeling dangerous, adventurous, or want to help us test
the next version of OpenSim you are welcome to grab the latest unstable
code out of our subversion trunk. Any warnings previous expressed about
the alpha nature of the code go double or triple if you are running
directly off of trunk. Never, ever, ever, never run this in production
environments, it is not suitable for that unless you are very familiar
with the source code, and can hot fix any piece of it (that probably
means you are an OpenSim core member). Feedback and testing on the
unstable tree is appreciated, as that helps us make the next release
better. If this scares you from using trunk, that was intended.

If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.

    * Latest Subversion revision version (bleeding edge)

I replicate this here, because there are plenty of people that already
have a trunk tree, hopefully they'll get this message here if not via
the website.

I'd also ask a favor from our users, if you find links to SVN anywhere
else in the wiki, please remove them, and just link in the Downloads
page.  If anyone in IRC asks you how to get source, please don't give
them a direct svn command, please send them to that page.  Everyone
getting svn trunk needs to read that paragraph, and really internalize it.

Apologies to people for which this makes it a couple more steps to get
code who understand trunk, and continue to be incredible testers for
this incredible project.

Thanks folks,

        -Sean

--
Sean Dague / Neas Bade
[hidden email]

Re: [Opensim-dev] New language for Downloads Page

Stefan Andersson
I added an 'older versions archive' paragraph too, just to push trunk even lower down the page.

Best regards,
Stefan Andersson
Tribal Media AB

> Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 18:46:44 -0400
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]; [hidden email]
> Subject: [Opensim-dev] New language for Downloads Page
>
> A lot of what transpired was because it was apparently not clear enough
> about not using trunk. So that there isn't such confusion in the
> future, I've removed the direct SVN link off the front page, and moved
> the trunk links to this section of the Downloads page
> (http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Download) :
>
> Experimental Upstream Code
>
> There Be Dragons Beyond This Point
>
> If you are truly feeling dangerous, adventurous, or want to help us test
> the next version of OpenSim you are welcome to grab the latest unstable
> code out of our subversion trunk. Any warnings previous expressed about
> the alpha nature of the code go double or triple if you are running
> directly off of trunk. Never, ever, ever, never run this in production
> environments, it is not suitable for that unless you are very familiar
> with the source code, and can hot fix any piece of it (that probably
> means you are an OpenSim core member). Feedback and testing on the
> unstable tree is appreciated, as that helps us make the next release
> better. If this scares you from using trunk, that was intended.
>
> If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.
>
> * Latest Subversion revision version (bleeding edge)
>

> I replicate this here, because there are plenty of people that already
> have a trunk tree, hopefully they'll get this message here if not via
> the website.
>
> I'd also ask a favor from our users, if you find links to SVN anywhere
> else in the wiki, please remove them, and just link in the Downloads
> page. If anyone in IRC asks you how to get source, please don't give
> them a direct svn command, please send them to that page. Everyone
> getting svn trunk needs to read that paragraph, and really internalize it.
>
> Apologies to people for which this makes it a couple more steps to get
> code who understand trunk, and continue to be incredible testers for
> this incredible project.
>
> Thanks folks,
>
> -Sean
>
> --
> Sean Dague / Neas Bade
> [hidden email]
> http://dague.net

Sounds like a challenge to me

Frank W Sweet
Brad wrote: "You could have followed typical regression testing
techniques to determine the revision upon which this was introduced.
But you didn't."

Now that is interesting. Brad is confident that he can find any
deliberately planted time-bomb, no matter how long ago it was hidden,
nor how unpredictable its triggering. I am equally confident that I
could plant a bomb so long-delayed and sporadic in its effect that
Brad would never find it.

Is that really the direction that you want to take this project? A
puerile contest between programmers who plant malware for fun and
other programmers who enjoy trying to uncover them? Now that is
interesting.

FWS

Re: Sounds like a challenge to me

Teravus Ovares
Frank, please understand that treating what every user says as 'the
direction of the project' is just going to get you frustrated and
upset with absolutely no gain for you.  Debating him and him debating
you is just as inappropriate as you say the  April fool's joke was.

Brad does not represent the opensimulator core developers in any way.
 As to be expected on an OpenSim-Users e-mail list, he's a user of
OpenSimulator.   With that, lets end this thread.    April 1st is over
by over 24 hours now.   Lets move forward.

Sincerely

Teravus