Noobi question.

Richard Taft
I'm sure this has been asked a million times..  But being new, I'll just have to ask it again.  Running Opensim on a Fedora 11 (No small undertaking) I had it running in stand alone mode, but I'm attempting to activate grid mode. I didn't want to get it all set up only to have to come back and reconfigure.  I'm trying to start it now and I am getting an exception "No server URI named in section AssetService"   I checked the AssetService section and I have asset_plugin set to the MySQL plugin & the asset_source set to the connection string for my asset database.  I have confirmed that it is accessible and the password is correct.

I'm running the current version of opensim, and I know the web site documentation doesn't exactly match, but I'm at a loss to know what its looking for.  Anyone have any Ideas?

RichT

Re: Noobi question.

Richard Taft
Well I answered my Own question....  Seems I went a little Nuts on the OpenSim.ini Updates and shot myself in the foot.  The Include at the bottom was set to Grid.ini, which assumes that you will be connecting to a remote asset and inventory server.  I'll have to do a bit more research into this configuration file and its parameters.  Its very easy to get lost and mess things up.

RichT

[...]

Robert Klein
LOL, it is very important to understand each section of the OpenSim.ini file and it is not as long as it looks. Okay it is as long as it looks... :)

-Robert

Richard Taft wrote
Well I answered my Own question....  Seems I went a little Nuts on the OpenSim.ini Updates and shot myself in the foot.  The Include at the bottom was set to Grid.ini, which assumes that you will be connecting to a remote asset and inventory server.  I'll have to do a bit more research into this configuration file and its parameters.  Its very easy to get lost and mess things up.

RichT

________________________________

Re: Noobi question.

Richard Taft
Well for a first timer its long...  I decided to basically start from scratch.  I had a lot of fits and starts getting Fedora to even compile opensim.   Going to try pulling down a fresh copy of Opensim and recompile...  Then only make small changes to the INI and test as I go. I had to install Mono, Nant, and LibGDIPlus by hand. As well as Mysql & the C+ and on and on. I probably should have written it all down since it might have helped someone else.  There are several Fedora guides out there, but none seem to be "Complete" from raw install of fedora to Installing Opensim.

I think rather then add myself to a Grid I may want to become my own grid. There are several friends that have gotten tired of SL and its mess.  I may make a retreat that we can all go to to build create and converse in peace.

Anyone that may have some insight or gotcha warning please feel free to chime in

RichT

Richard Taft wrote:

> Well I answered my Own question....  Seems I went a little Nuts on the
> OpenSim.ini Updates and shot myself in the foot.  The Include at the
> bottom was set to Grid.ini, which assumes that you will be connecting to a
> remote asset and inventory server.  I'll have to do a bit more research
> into this configuration file and its parameters.  Its very easy to get
> lost and mess things up.
>
> RichT
>

> ________________________________

Re: Noobi question.

LaeMi Wang
Hi and welcome to Opensim!

I found the dependencies much more manageable on a Debian-based distro. (in my
case Kubuntu).

As far as the big config file goes, once I got it working, I stuck with it
doing a side-by-side comparison and manual update with the new config-example
files as they change. A bit tedious, but tedium includes a notable reduction
in surprises.

If you intend running all the grid-regions yourself off one box, you might
also look into running a standalone mega-region. Many of the benefits of a
grid without some of the inter-region issues. I have heard good things about
Diva's mega-region setup, though I had bootstrapped myself a mega from the
mainline already before that was available.

Lae

On Wednesday October 7 2009 10:06:22 Richard Taft wrote:

> Well for a first timer its long...  I decided to basically start from
>  scratch.  I had a lot of fits and starts getting Fedora to even compile
>  opensim.   Going to try pulling down a fresh copy of Opensim and
>  recompile...  Then only make small changes to the INI and test as I go. I
>  had to install Mono, Nant, and LibGDIPlus by hand. As well as Mysql & the
>  C+ and on and on. I probably should have written it all down since it
>  might have helped someone else.  There are several Fedora guides out
>  there, but none seem to be "Complete" from raw install of fedora to
>  Installing Opensim.
>
> I think rather then add myself to a Grid I may want to become my own grid.
>  There are several friends that have gotten tired of SL and its mess.  I
>  may make a retreat that we can all go to to build create and converse in
>  peace.
>
> Anyone that may have some insight or gotcha warning please feel free to
>  chime in
>
> RichT

Re: Noobi question.

Karen_Palen
It is long, but I think you will find it quite well organized. The documentation is ambiguous in spots too, but Google helps. There are tutorials and "hint" files all over the web!

My strategy has been to update the Wiki as I figure out something and get it working. That way I help everyone as well as having good (updated!) notes the next time I run into an issue.

I am a Ubuntu user (only 8 mos on Linux), so I haven't done a lot of "distro surfing" yet. All the same you should find a lot of helpful info on the Wiki, and of course more detail and corrections are always welcome!

Karen

> for a first timer its long...  I decided to basically
> start from scratch.  I had a lot of fits and starts
> getting Fedora to even compile opensim.   Going to
> try pulling down a fresh copy of Opensim and
> recompile...  Then only make small changes to the INI
> and test as I go. I had to install Mono, Nant, and
> LibGDIPlus by hand. As well as Mysql & the C+ and on and
> on. I probably should have written it all down since it
> might have helped someone else.  There are several
> Fedora guides out there, but none seem to be
> "Complete" from raw install of fedora to
> Installing Opensim.
>
> I think rather then add myself to a Grid I may want to
> become my own grid. There are several friends that have
> gotten tired of SL and its mess.  I may make a retreat
> that we
>  can all go to to build create and converse in peace.
>
> Anyone that may have some insight or gotcha warning please
> feel free to chime in
>
> RichT
>
> From:
> Robert Klein <[hidden email]>

Re: Noobi question.

Richard Taft
well I did it....   got logged in finally....  one pointer I can offer that did the final trick for me....  make sure that in the /Regions/Regions.ini file your internal address is set to 0.0.0.0  and make absolutely sure our external address is the IP address of your server INSIDE your firewall/router.  I saw on one of the WIki pages that it should be set to your routers external address if you plan to access it from the outside.  This is incorrect and you create a looping issue if you do.  This will cause your viewer to freeze at region handshake.

The other thing I noticed is that you Come up Ruthed.  and no way to edit your appearance.   what you have to do is go to body parts and create a shape, right click and edit...  then go through each body item and move the slider slightly.  and then save.  you will have to do that with pants and shirt also.  once your done you should be a real live Avitar.  It seems strange, but there is items in the asset directory

Ok Now I'm hooked, this is fun having a place all to myself.   Still have some issues to work through...  SLS isn't working, and I can't do video

One thing I noticed....  what I wanted to do was creat seperate databases for Inventory/assets/estates/users.... right now I have it all in one database an its working.   so all my connect strings are correct...  Opensim built the tables that it needed.  so I shutdown Opensim   Deleted ALL the tables...  created a new database called opensiminv and granted all permissions from my existing opensim user... updated the inventory connect string so it pointed to this database. and restart Opensim....  it created all the tables in the "Default" database and creates a table called migrate in the inventory database, and then complains that it cant find an inventory table and halts.  If I check the database, the table its looking for is in the default database, yet it seems to be looking in the inventory database.  Have I found a bug?  sould I attempt to move the inventory tables to the inventory database.   Just as an extra, it does the same thing for the asset inventory and estate databases if I do the same procedure.  What it seems to me is the routine that populates the tables in the database is only looking at one database.

RichT

It is long, but I think you will find it quite well organized. The documentation is ambiguous in spots too, but Google helps. There are tutorials and "hint" files all over the web!

My strategy has been to update the Wiki as I figure out something and get it working. That way I help everyone as well as having good (updated!) notes the next time I run into an issue.

I am a Ubuntu user (only 8 mos on Linux), so I haven't done a lot of "distro surfing" yet. All the same you should find a lot of helpful info on the Wiki, and of course more detail and corrections are always welcome!

Karen

> for a first timer its long...  I decided to basically
> start from scratch.  I had a lot of fits and starts
> getting Fedora to even compile opensim.   Going to
> try pulling down a fresh copy of Opensim and
> recompile...  Then only make small changes to the INI
> and test as I go. I had to install Mono, Nant, and
> LibGDIPlus by hand. As well as Mysql & the C+ and on and
> on. I probably should have written it all down since it
> might have helped someone else.  There are several
> Fedora guides out there, but none seem to be
> "Complete" from raw install of fedora to
> Installing Opensim.
>
> I think rather then add myself to a Grid I may want to
> become my own grid. There are several friends that have
> gotten tired of SL and its mess.  I may make a retreat
> that we
>  can all go to to build create and converse in peace.
>
> Anyone that may have some insight or gotcha warning please
> feel free to chime in
>
> RichT
>
> From:
> Robert Klein <[hidden email]>

Re: Noobi question.

justincc
Richard Taft wrote:

> well I did it....   got logged in finally....  one pointer I can offer
> that did the final trick for me....  make sure that in the
> /Regions/Regions.ini file your internal address is set to 0.0.0.0  and
> make absolutely sure our external address is the IP address of your
> server INSIDE your firewall/router.  I saw on one of the WIki pages that
> it should be set to your routers external address if you plan to access
> it from the outside.  This is incorrect and you create a looping issue
> if you do.  This will cause your viewer to freeze at region handshake.
>
> The other thing I noticed is that you Come up Ruthed.  and no way to
> edit your appearance.   what you have to do is go to body parts and
> create a shape, right click and edit...  then go through each body item
> and move the slider slightly.  and then save.  you will have to do that
> with pants and shirt also.  once your done you should be a real live
> Avitar.  It seems strange, but there is items in the asset directory

Yes, I think that it would be nice to improve this.  I'm guessing that it means
populating the initial avatar with clothing that's already worn.

> Ok Now I'm hooked, this is fun having a place all to myself.   Still
> have some issues to work through...  SLS isn't working, and I can't do video
>
> One thing I noticed....  what I wanted to do was creat seperate
> databases for Inventory/assets/estates/users.... right now I have it all
> in one database an its working.   so all my connect strings are
> correct...  Opensim built the tables that it needed.  so I shutdown
> Opensim   Deleted ALL the tables...  created a new database called
> opensiminv and granted all permissions from my existing opensim user...
> updated the inventory connect string so it pointed to this database. and
> restart Opensim....  it created all the tables in the "Default" database
> and creates a table called migrate in the inventory database, and then
> complains that it cant find an inventory table and halts.  If I check
> the database, the table its looking for is in the default database, yet
> it seems to be looking in the inventory database.  Have I found a bug?
> sould I attempt to move the inventory tables to the inventory
> database.   Just as an extra, it does the same thing for the asset
> inventory and estate databases if I do the same procedure.  What it
> seems to me is the routine that populates the tables in the database is
> only looking at one database.

It sounds like a bug to me - I didn't think that OpenSim was storing database
information anywhere other than in the ini files.

> RichT

Justin Clark-Casey

Re: Noobi question.

Karen Palen wrote:
> It is long, but I think you will find it quite well organized. The documentation is ambiguous in spots too, but Google helps. There are tutorials and "hint" files all over the web!
>
> My strategy has been to update the Wiki as I figure out something and get it working. That way I help everyone as well as having good (updated!) notes the next time I run into an issue.

Thanks very much Karen, this always really helps other people.

Justin.

> I am a Ubuntu user (only 8 mos on Linux), so I haven't done a lot of "distro surfing" yet. All the same you should find a lot of helpful info on the Wiki, and of course more detail and corrections are always welcome!
>
> Karen

Justin Clark-Casey

Re: Noobi question.

Karen_Palen
I hate to sound like a "broken record", but did you get all this into the wiki?

Hmm the only time I heard areal "broken record" that did that it was a 78 rpm (!) vinyl record called "Christmas at the Front" recorded during WWi I - even before MY time LOL

Karen

> I did it....   got logged in finally....  one
> pointer I can offer that did the final trick for
> me....  make sure that in the /Regions/Regions.ini file
> your internal address is set to 0.0.0.0  and make
> absolutely sure our external address is the IP address of
> your server INSIDE your firewall/router.  I saw on one
> of the WIki pages that it should be set to your routers
> external address if you plan to access it from the
> outside.  This is incorrect and you create a looping
> issue if you do.  This will cause your viewer to freeze
> at region handshake.
>
> The other thing I noticed is that you Come up Ruthed.
> and no way to edit your appearance.   what you
> have to do is go to body parts and create a shape, right
> click and edit...
>  then go through each body item and move the slider
> slightly.  and then save.  you will have to do
> that with pants and shirt also.  once your done you
> should be a real live Avitar.  It seems strange, but
> there is items in the asset directory
>
> Ok Now I'm hooked, this is fun having a place all to
> myself.   Still have some issues to work
> through...  SLS isn't working, and I can't do
> video
>
> One thing I noticed....  what I wanted to do was creat
> seperate databases for Inventory/assets/estates/users....
> right now I have it all in one database an its
> working.   so all my connect strings are
> correct...  Opensim built the tables that it
> needed.  so I shutdown Opensim   Deleted ALL
> the tables...  created a new database called opensiminv
> and granted all permissions from my existing opensim user...
> updated the inventory connect string so it pointed to this
> database. and restart
>  Opensim....  it created all the tables in the
> "Default" database and creates a table called
> migrate in the inventory database, and then complains that
> it cant find an inventory table and halts.  If I check
> the database, the table its looking for is in the default
> database, yet it seems to be looking in the inventory
> database.  Have I found a bug?  sould I attempt to
> move the inventory tables to the inventory
> database.   Just as an extra, it does the same
> thing for the asset inventory and estate databases if I do
> the same procedure.  What it seems to me is the routine
> that populates the tables in the database is only looking at
> one database.
>
> RichT
>
> From:
> Karen
>  Palen <[hidden email]>

Re: Noobi question.

Richard Taft
Almost everything I am getting is from the Wiki.  Sometimes the information is conflicting and I have to figure out what one is fact and what one my have applied to previous version.  The one that's getting me now is the Region.ini and the Default.xml  On one page it says that the Default.xml should be in your regions directory, and someplace else it says that with ver 0.6.6 it wasn't created as part of the install and I need to make one manually and put it in the Bin directory.  As for the Regions.ini. I finally figured out that should be for your default (Port 9000) region and all the others are regionname.xml

It also should be added to the configuration pages that you should use your hosts internal IP address and not 0.0.0.0 as it states elsewhere, and that you should use the IP address of your outside port on your modem and be sure to open the appropriate router ports. Set up port forwarding and be sure to open the ports on your firewall

Another tidbit should be to set up the IPTABLES correctly with the following commands

LINUX:
  • iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT --dst $EXTERNAL_IP -p tcp --dport 9000:9010 -j DNAT --to-destination $INTERNAL_IP
  • iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT --dst $EXTERNAL_IP -p udp --dport 9000:9010 -j DNAT --to-destination $INTERNAL_IP
  • service iptables restart
  • iptables -t nat -L -n  <----  this lits the rules for nat so you can verify its set up right
Windows

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING --dst 68.185.20.134 -p tcp --dport 9000:9010 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.2.100

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING --dst 68.185.20.134 -p udp --dport 9000:9010 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.2.100

Put your proper IP's where indicated.  also make sure you use the Exsternal IP address when setting up your client if your useing a seperate machine, even if its on the same network.

this is all in the WIKI  but i think it couldn't hurt to be sure its all listed under configuration.  Will save people setting it up for the first time and frustratingly having to dig through the documentation to find out why it isn't working.  All in all the documentation is complete, its just a little spread out, and sometimes applies to different version.  But I must applaud the people working on it for the vast collection of information.  If you spend a little time looking you can find the answer to all your questions in there.

Rich

I hate to sound like a "broken record", but did you get all this into the wiki?

Hmm the only time I heard areal "broken record" that did that it was a 78 rpm (!) vinyl record called "Christmas at the Front" recorded during WWi I - even before MY time LOL

Karen

> I did it....   got logged in finally....  one
> pointer I can offer that did the final trick for
> me....  make sure that in the /Regions/Regions.ini file
> your internal address is set to 0.0.0.0  and make
> absolutely sure our external address is the IP address of
> your server INSIDE your firewall/router.  I saw on one
> of the WIki pages that it should be set to your routers
> external address if you plan to access it from the
> outside.  This is incorrect and you create a looping
> issue if you do.  This will cause your viewer to freeze
> at region handshake.
>
> The other thing I noticed is that you Come up Ruthed.
> and no way to edit your appearance.   what you
> have to do is go to body parts and create a shape, right
> click and edit...
>  then go through each body item and move the slider
> slightly.  and then save.  you will have to do
> that with pants and shirt also.  once your done you
> should be a real live Avitar.  It seems strange, but
> there is items in the asset directory
>
> Ok Now I'm hooked, this is fun having a place all to
> myself.   Still have some issues to work
> through...  SLS isn't working, and I can't do
> video
>
> One thing I noticed....  what I wanted to do was creat
> seperate databases for Inventory/assets/estates/users....
> right now I have it all in one database an its
> working.   so all my connect strings are
> correct...  Opensim built the tables that it
> needed.  so I shutdown Opensim   Deleted ALL
> the tables...  created a new database called opensiminv
> and granted all permissions from my existing opensim user...
> updated the inventory connect string so it pointed to this
> database. and restart
>  Opensim....  it created all the tables in the
> "Default" database and creates a table called
> migrate in the inventory database, and then complains that
> it cant find an inventory table and halts.  If I check
> the database, the table its looking for is in the default
> database, yet it seems to be looking in the inventory
> database.  Have I found a bug?  sould I attempt to
> move the inventory tables to the inventory
> database.   Just as an extra, it does the same
> thing for the asset inventory and estate databases if I do
> the same procedure.  What it seems to me is the routine
> that populates the tables in the database is only looking at
> one database.
>
> RichT
>
> From:
> Karen
>  Palen <[hidden email]>

Re: Noobi question.

Karen_Palen
I agree there is a lot of work to be done on the Wiki.

You should remember though that the authors of the Wiki were just as confused as you are when they wrote their contribution!

The important thin IMHO is to separate the platform dependent stuff and clearly label it.

In fact there is surprisingly little that IS platform dependent now.

Karen

> from the Wiki.  Sometimes the information is
> conflicting and I have to figure out what one is fact and
> what one my have applied to previous version.  The one
> that's getting me now is the Region.ini and the
> Default.xml  On one page it says that the Default.xml
> should be in your regions directory, and someplace else it
> says that with ver 0.6.6 it wasn't created as part of
> the install and I need to make one manually and put it in
> the Bin directory.  As for the Regions.ini. I finally
> figured out that should be for your default (Port 9000)
> region and all the others are regionname.xml
>
> It also should be added to the configuration pages that you
> should use your hosts
>  internal IP address and not 0.0.0.0 as it states
> elsewhere, and that you should use the IP address of your
> outside port on your modem and be sure to open the
> appropriate router ports. Set up port forwarding and be sure
> to open the ports on your firewall
>
> Another tidbit should be to set up the IPTABLES correctly
> with the following commands
>
> LINUX:
>  iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT --dst $EXTERNAL_IP -p
> tcp --dport 9000:9010 -j DNAT --to-destination $INTERNAL_IP
>  iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT --dst $EXTERNAL_IP -p
> udp --dport 9000:9010 -j DNAT --to-destination $INTERNAL_IP
> service iptables restartiptables -t nat
> -L -n  <----  this lits the rules for nat so
> you can verify its set up right
> Windows
> iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING --dst 68.185.20.134 -p tcp
> --dport 9000:9010 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.2.100
> iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING --dst 68.185.20.134 -p
> udp --dport 9000:9010 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.2.100
>
> Put your proper IP's where indicated.  also make
> sure you use the Exsternal IP address when setting up your
> client if your useing a seperate machine, even if its on the
> same network.
>
> this is all in the WIKI  but i think it couldn't
> hurt to be sure its all listed under configuration.
> Will save people setting it up for the first time and
> frustratingly having to dig through the documentation to
> find out why it isn't working.  All in all the
> documentation is complete, its just a little spread out, and
> sometimes applies to different version.  But I must
> applaud the people working on it for the vast collection of
> information.  If you spend a little time looking you
> can find the answer to all your questions in there.
>
> Rich
>
> From:
> Karen Palen
>  <[hidden email]>

Re: Noobi question.

Richard Taft
They have done a wonderful job of getting it all "there"  Now it just needs to be organized. a lot of the stuff on the sub pages needs to be move front and center.  Obviously this is cutting edge stuff, and definitely not for the faint of heart.  I myself have been plugging away for a few weeks now putting this together...  and its still in a very rough state...  but its there and I'm making progress, and am definitely hooked.  I have always wanted my own sim...  Now I can actually afford one  :).  I'm also getting a much better view of whats under the covers in SL.

It isn't very platform specific.   and that's very much to the credit of its developers, I'm using Fedora, but what i am learning can very easily be used in Windows...

Well off to try and ger voice working...  Wish me Luck

Rich

> [...]

> iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING --dst 68.185.20.134 -p
> udp --dport 9000:9010 -j DNAT --to-destination 192.168.2.100
>
> Put your proper IP's where indicated.  also make
> sure you use the Exsternal IP address when setting up your
> client if your useing a seperate machine, even if its on the
> same network.
>
> this is all in the WIKI  but i think it couldn't
> hurt to be sure its all listed under configuration.
> Will save people setting it up for the first time and
> frustratingly having to dig through the documentation to
> find out why it isn't working.  All in all the
> documentation is complete, its just a little spread out, and
> sometimes applies to different version.  But I must
> applaud the people working on it for the vast collection of
> information.  If you spend a little time looking you
> can find the answer to all your questions in there.

Re: Noobi question.

Karen_Palen
I agree.

I am busy restoring function to the MySQL database using a Windows orented writeup for example!

A side benefit of this is when (not if) you need to rebuild your installation you have very good notes available. I recognize my own text in several of the write-ups I have had to use during this rebuild cycle.

It would have been MUCH easier just to restore from backup, but there was a lot of "cruft" that I wanted to get rid of and a rebuild ensures that.