Nvidia GTX versus Quadra GPU Question

aiaustin
I have been monitoring my fps rates a bit more closely than usual to
test the Oculus Rift DK2 and using a number of viewers... I thought I
was seeing significantly higher frame rates on a much less powerful
older Nvidia GTX 580 I have on one rig (with onkly 8GB of memory and
rotating disks) compared to the system I thought would give best
performance with an Nvidia Kepler-based K4000, 32GB memory and SSD
drives.  But I seemed to only be getting about half the frame rate.

I tried to set these with seemingly identical tests with 1920x1080
display, identical ultra video, same view distance, shadows,
anti-aliasing and everything, and I had my avatar at same time of day
facing the same direction on an otherwise unoccupied region.

Before I set up and test more thoroughly and try to see what the
problem might be, I wonder if anyone knows if there is some specific
issue between using the consumer level GTX GPUs and seemingly more
powerful Nvidia Quadro Kepler GPUs that may be a root cause?

Re: Nvidia GTX versus Quadra GPU Question

R.Gunther
The nvidia quadro's are optimized for 3D workstation work. sofra i knows
the opengl in the quadro is not the same as in nvidia gamers card.
Possible the bios is optimized for different tasks to. that could
explain the difference.

On 2014-09-07 18:21, Ai Austin wrote:

> I have been monitoring my fps rates a bit more closely than usual to
> test the Oculus Rift DK2 and using a number of viewers... I thought I
> was seeing significantly higher frame rates on a much less powerful
> older Nvidia GTX 580 I have on one rig (with onkly 8GB of memory and
> rotating disks) compared to the system I thought would give best
> performance with an Nvidia Kepler-based K4000, 32GB memory and SSD
> drives.  But I seemed to only be getting about half the frame rate.
>
> I tried to set these with seemingly identical tests with 1920x1080
> display, identical ultra video, same view distance, shadows,
> anti-aliasing and everything, and I had my avatar at same time of day
> facing the same direction on an otherwise unoccupied region.
>
> Before I set up and test more thoroughly and try to see what the
> problem might be, I wonder if anyone knows if there is some specific
> issue between using the consumer level GTX GPUs and seemingly more
> powerful Nvidia Quadro Kepler GPUs that may be a root cause?

Re: Nvidia GTX versus Quadra GPU Question

Thanks for that very useful input folks.  The bathing looks like it
may be the issue as Dahlia noted...

When I check viewer stats, everything looks almost identical on GTX
580, GTX 680 and Quadro K4000 GPUs.. which ought to be progressively
faster and better ijnhardware terms... except for the Kris per frame
and KRis per sec which are LOWER on the more powerful K4000 than even
the GTX 580.

I wonder if there is a specific driver for the NVidia Quadro GPUs
that would be better suited to the way SL/OpenSim viewers do things