Nvidia GTX versus Quadro - Reasons for lower FPS on Quadro

Nvidia GTX versus Quadro - Reasons for lower FPS on Quadro

aiaustin
I hope no one minds me raising this here... but
it may be a useful forum since we have
experienced and knowledgeable developers and
hardware designers on this discussion forum...

I know the LL Viewers and hence most of the
others viewers say that the Nvidia cards that
"report as Quadro" don't have the same support or
testing as the consumer GTX cards.  But what is
it about these cards or their drivers that is not running well.

On looking at the stats bar, the only differences
I can see relates to KTris per Frame and KTris
per Sec... which are significantly lower on the
Quadro K4000 compared to a GTX 580 and GTX 680.

I have been monitoring my fps rates a bit more
closely than usual recently and I think I see
significantly higher frame rates on a much less
powerful older Nvidia GTX 580 I have on one rig
(with only 8GB of memory and rotating disks)
compared to the system I thought would give best
performance with an Nvidia Kepler-based K4000,
32GB memory and SSD drives on which I seem to
only be getting about half the frame rate. I
tried to set these up with seemingly identical
tests with 1920×1080 display, identical ultra
video, same view distance, shadows,
anti-aliasing, same cache size and network
bandwidth, and everything, and I had my avatar at
same time of day facing the same direction on an otherwise unoccupied region.

I wonder if anyone knows if there is some
specific issue between using the apparently
better fps delivering consumer level Nvidia GTX
GPUs and seemingly more powerful but less well
performing Nvidia Quadro Kepler GPUs that may be a root cause?

Re: Nvidia GTX versus Quadro - Reasons for lower FPS on Quadro

Dahlia Trimble
Often with 3d applications there is a bottleneck between the game program and the gpu. The SL viewer uses an older OpenGL API which places certain constraints on the drivers and computer hardware in that they must move a lot of small bits of data from the cpu to the gpu for each frame and moving each piece of data requires overhead. If the hardware or the driver is not designed to optimize this mode of operation then you will see reduced frame rates. This does *not* mean that a particular GPU is slow, rather it means that the cpu and gpu cannot communicate quickly the way the application asks them to communicate. Newer versions of OpenGL offer means of reducing the overhead of many small pieces of data (typically referred to as the "small batch problem"). Graphics cards like the Quadro are not designed for gaming-like applications and probably do not optimize for such older batching modes.

See: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Technical/NVIDIA-Quadro-does-it-work-in-SL/qaq-p/1065183
and: http://www.nvidia.com/docs/IO/8228/BatchBatchBatch.pdf

Bottom line: Quadro is probably a poor choice for running SL viewer.