OAR File Sharing Revisited

Robert Klein
I know we have kicked this subject around in the past and was wondering if we ever figured out some kind of place to house oar files for sharing? I would imagine there are some pretty interesting builds among the OpenSim community that people would enjoy sharing but we still do not have an easy way of doing it. I hate to suggest using some file sharing utility like getdropbox but what else would work? It has to be able to support those of us using standalone simulators too. Let's not forget about IAR files as well. What do you think?

-Robert

http://n2.nabble.com/opensim-users-f2152040.html

Re: OAR File Sharing Revisited

Frisby, Adam
IAR is a better choice for transport than OAR IMO.

Adam

+1 on the IAR but we still need some kind of distribution system.

-Robert

Frisby, Adam wrote
IAR is a better choice for transport than OAR IMO.

Adam

jeff1564
Hi Robert,

Actually we are working on a place just for OpenSim assets where you can upload
any kind of asset that you may want to sell or share, like OAR, IAR, meerkat files etc.
At the moment we are working to provide an "oar link" for free oars uploaded to our
servers so people can easy load it with a single command
like load oar http://myopensim.com/index.php?oar=OpenVCE or something like this.
and or you can send the url for your friends. we will also have a list of url's
with our free oars for download, actually when you upload an oar file or
another asset you have the option to upload as many pictures you want and option to
add a video for your file. besides that we are working on a tool to easily move
creations between grids (similar to second inventory ) that will be released 100% free.
The website is 100% free to use, everybody is more than welcome to use our system.
Any question or suggestion are welcome as we're still tweaking our website to be the best
fit for our community.

Please take a look at: http://myopensim.com/index.php?page=Assets

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 6:03 PM, Robert Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

I know we have kicked this subject around in the past and was wondering if we
ever figured out some kind of place to house oar files for sharing? I would
imagine there are some pretty interesting builds among the OpenSim community
that people would enjoy sharing but we still do not have an easy way of
doing it. I hate to suggest using some file sharing utility like getdropbox
but what else would work? It has to be able to support those of us using
standalone simulators too. Let's not forget about IAR files as well. What do
you think?

-Robert

http://n2.nabble.com/opensim-users-f2152040.html

Visit http://myopengrid.com

Re: OAR File Sharing Revisited

Karen_Palen
My only comment is that we need some sort of central place which points to ALL of these repositories!

The OpenSim wiki sounds like the right place, but I am certainly open to other ideas.

So far I have found almost a half dozen attempts to put together repositories or one kind or another with widely varying success.

I know of no way to be sure that I or anyone else has found them all apart from the OpenSim wiki!

Karen

> Actually we are working on a place just for OpenSim assets
> where you can upload
> any kind of asset that you may want to sell or share, like
> OAR, IAR, meerkat files etc.
> At the moment we are working to provide an "oar
> link" for free oars uploaded to our
>
> servers so people can easy load it with a single command
> like load oar http://myopensim.com/index.php?oar=OpenVCE
> or something like this.
> and or you can send the url for your friends. we will also
> have a list of url's
>
> with our free oars for download, actually when you upload
> an oar file or
> another asset you have the option to upload as many
> pictures you want and option to
> add a video for your file. besides that we are working on a
> tool to easily move
>
> creations between grids (similar to second inventory ) that
> will be released 100% free.
> The website is 100% free to use, everybody is more than
> welcome to use our system.
> Any question or suggestion are welcome as we're still
> tweaking our website to be the best
>
> fit for our community.
>

> Please take a look at: http://myopensim.com/index.php?page=Assets
>

> On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 6:03 PM,
> Robert Klein <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

> I know we have kicked this subject around in the past and
> was wondering if we
>
> ever figured out some kind of place to house oar files for
> sharing? I would
>
> imagine there are some pretty interesting builds among the
> OpenSim community
>
> that people would enjoy sharing but we still do not have an
> easy way of
>
> doing it. I hate to suggest using some file sharing utility
> like getdropbox
>
> but what else would work? It has to be able to support
> those of us using
>
> standalone simulators too. Let's not forget about IAR
> files as well. What do
>
> you think?
>

> -Robert
>

> http://n2.nabble.com/opensim-users-f2152040.html

> Nabble.com.

> Visit http://myopengrid.com
>

> -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Re: OAR File Sharing Revisited

Jeroen van Veen
Hi,

I think it would be easier to have decentralized oar spaces, which can be
shared through simple http/https servers. OSservices uses twisted to serve
oar-directories, and make them accessible through secured public/private http
urls. I'm not really sure about the final design, but i think each simulator
service has to have it's own private serve directory, in which oar files can be
shared to other gridservices, by utilizing a centralized webapi. Like: call
get_oar(service_uuid) on each osservice instance from a webinterface, which
returns an xml list of oar files. Also, it creates a public http resource that
can be accessed through the browser(with user/pw or not). That may be useful
for simple sharing purposes.

Anyway, the idea is that each simulator/service has it's own oar 'repository',
which can be shared through a ssl/http auth secured api. I agree with Karen
that central places for oars are not really the way to go here. Centralized
lists of public oars can also be done through some sort of api. This same
kinda thing would also be interesting to apply on intergrid maps by the way,
but that's another thread.

cheers,

Jeroen

Op woensdag 09 december 2009 07:52:03 schreef Karen Palen:

> My only comment is that we need some sort of central place which points to
>  ALL of these repositories!
>
> The OpenSim wiki sounds like the right place, but I am certainly open to
>  other ideas.
>
> So far I have found almost a half dozen attempts to put together
>  repositories or one kind or another with widely varying success.
>
> I know of no way to be sure that I or anyone else has found them all apart
>  from the OpenSim wiki!
>
> Karen

Yes I agree the wiki is a good place to have a catalog of links to sites which contain content. Jeff, I like your site and it has lots of potential. One suggestion might be to have a "freebie only" area so people who do not have any need to dig through non-free content will not have to do so. Jeroen, yes I kind of thought about doing some kind of file serving system built-in to the simulator but not sure it would be wise given viruses and hackers and such. I don't worry so much about that in Ubuntu but the Windows users might be concerned. What about a general web based tool people could implement at their discretion like we do with MySQL vs SQLite?

-Robert

Jeroen van Veen wrote
Hi,

I think it would be easier to have decentralized oar spaces, which can be
shared through simple http/https servers. OSservices uses twisted to serve
oar-directories, and make them accessible through secured public/private http
urls. I'm not really sure about the final design, but i think each simulator
service has to have it's own private serve directory, in which oar files can be
shared to other gridservices, by utilizing a centralized webapi. Like: call
get_oar(service_uuid) on each osservice instance from a webinterface, which
returns an xml list of oar files. Also, it creates a public http resource that
can be accessed through the browser(with user/pw or not). That may be useful
for simple sharing purposes.

Anyway, the idea is that each simulator/service has it's own oar 'repository',
which can be shared through a ssl/http auth secured api. I agree with Karen
that central places for oars are not really the way to go here. Centralized
lists of public oars can also be done through some sort of api. This same
kinda thing would also be interesting to apply on intergrid maps by the way,
but that's another thread.

cheers,

Jeroen

Op woensdag 09 december 2009 07:52:03 schreef Karen Palen:
> My only comment is that we need some sort of central place which points to
>  ALL of these repositories!
>
> The OpenSim wiki sounds like the right place, but I am certainly open to
>  other ideas.
>
> So far I have found almost a half dozen attempts to put together
>  repositories or one kind or another with widely varying success.
>
> I know of no way to be sure that I or anyone else has found them all apart
>  from the OpenSim wiki!
>
> Karen

Robert -- I like your site and it has lots of potential.

-- Thank you.

Robert -- One suggestion might be to have a "freebie only" area so people who do not
have any need to dig through non-free content will not have to do so.

-- Got it, working on the freebie area for down-loadable assets. Will let you guys know when online.

Thank you.

Visit http://myopengrid.com
Visit http://myopensim.com