OAuth / OpenID server

Gudule Lapointe
Are there projects to implement OAuth / OpenID authentication server from OpenSim accounts?

I found a couple of discussions about using OAuth as in-world authentication, but it is not what I mean. I just would want users to be able to use their avatar account to login in a web platform like WordPress or Drupal, a ticket support system… any OAuth -capable website…

Using OAuth would allow a wider range of solutions, and best mixes of solutions to build the website

Re: OAuth / OpenID server

Diva Canto
OpenSim has OpenID support. OAuth is not supported [yet]. It doesn't
seem like high priority at this point, but patches are always welcome.

On 2/2/2012 1:35 AM, Gudule Lapointe wrote:

> Are there projects to implement OAuth / OpenID authentication server from OpenSim accounts?
>
> I found a couple of discussions about using OAuth as in-world authentication, but it is not what I mean. I just would want users to be able to use their avatar account to login in a web platform like WordPress or Drupal, a ticket support system… any OAuth -capable website…
>
> Using OAuth would allow a wider range of solutions, and best mixes of solutions to build the website

Re: OAuth / OpenID server

Gudule Lapointe
I saw some vars related to it in .ini, but I can't find the endpoint URL to point in an OpenID-enabled website…

I tried things like http://my.server:8002/openid/server/ and variants with username or uuid...

On an OpenID login page, I get "no OpenID server detected", while if I check it directly in the browser, I get "This is an OpenID server endpoint, not a human-readable resource. For more information, see http://openid.net/."

The wiki page seems to be an old proposal (http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OpenID), I can't find real information on how to use it…

Le 2 févr. 2012 à 15:18, Diva Canto a écrit :

> OpenSim has OpenID support. OAuth is not supported [yet]. It doesn't seem like high priority at this point, but patches are always welcome.
>
> On 2/2/2012 1:35 AM, Gudule Lapointe wrote:
>> Are there projects to implement OAuth / OpenID authentication server from OpenSim accounts?
>>
>> I found a couple of discussions about using OAuth as in-world authentication, but it is not what I mean. I just would want users to be able to use their avatar account to login in a web platform like WordPress or Drupal, a ticket support system… any OAuth -capable website…
>>
>> Using OAuth would allow a wider range of solutions, and best mixes of solutions to build the website

Re: OAuth / OpenID server

Mic Bowman
If you use Simian instead of Robust as your grid infrastructure, you can use OpenID and OAuth for identification. ScienceSim, for example, can use Facebook IDs, Google OpenIDs etc for authentication.

--mic

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 7:42 AM, Gudule Lapointe <[hidden email]> wrote:
I saw some vars related to it in .ini, but I can't find the endpoint URL to point in an OpenID-enabled website…

I tried things like http://my.server:8002/openid/server/ and variants with username or uuid...

On an OpenID login page, I get "no OpenID server detected", while if I check it directly in the browser, I get "This is an OpenID server endpoint, not a human-readable resource. For more information, see http://openid.net/."

The wiki page seems to be an old proposal (http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OpenID), I can't find real information on how to use it…

Le 2 févr. 2012 à 15:18, Diva Canto a écrit :

> OpenSim has OpenID support. OAuth is not supported [yet]. It doesn't seem like high priority at this point, but patches are always welcome.
>
> On 2/2/2012 1:35 AM, Gudule Lapointe wrote:
>> Are there projects to implement OAuth / OpenID authentication server from OpenSim accounts?
>>
>> I found a couple of discussions about using OAuth as in-world authentication, but it is not what I mean. I just would want users to be able to use their avatar account to login in a web platform like WordPress or Drupal, a ticket support system… any OAuth -capable website…
>>
>> Using OAuth would allow a wider range of solutions, and best mixes of solutions to build the website

Re: OAuth / OpenID server

Diva Canto
For human-facing tools, it's /users/First_Last
But there was a bug there that made it fail. I just fixed it. You'll
have to wait for 0.7.3 for this fix to make it through.

On 2/2/2012 7:42 AM, Gudule Lapointe wrote:

> I saw some vars related to it in .ini, but I can't find the endpoint URL to point in an OpenID-enabled website…
>
> I tried things like http://my.server:8002/openid/server/ and variants with username or uuid...
>
> On an OpenID login page, I get "no OpenID server detected", while if I check it directly in the browser, I get "This is an OpenID server endpoint, not a human-readable resource. For more information, see http://openid.net/."
>
> The wiki page seems to be an old proposal (http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OpenID), I can't find real information on how to use it…
>

> Le 2 févr. 2012 à 15:18, Diva Canto a écrit :
>
>> OpenSim has OpenID support. OAuth is not supported [yet]. It doesn't seem like high priority at this point, but patches are always welcome.
>>
>> On 2/2/2012 1:35 AM, Gudule Lapointe wrote:
>>> Are there projects to implement OAuth / OpenID authentication server from OpenSim accounts?
>>>
>>> I found a couple of discussions about using OAuth as in-world authentication, but it is not what I mean. I just would want users to be able to use their avatar account to login in a web platform like WordPress or Drupal, a ticket support system… any OAuth -capable website…
>>>
>>> Using OAuth would allow a wider range of solutions, and best mixes of solutions to build the website

Re: OAuth / OpenID server

Gudule Lapointe
As told initially, i am mostly interested by the reverse context: using OpenSim user accounts to authenticate on a website.

Does Simian also allow this use?

Le 2 févr. 2012 à 17:05, Mic Bowman a écrit :

If you use Simian instead of Robust as your grid infrastructure, you can use OpenID and OAuth for identification. ScienceSim, for example, can use Facebook IDs, Google OpenIDs etc for authentication.

--mic

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 7:42 AM, Gudule Lapointe <[hidden email]> wrote:
I saw some vars related to it in .ini, but I can't find the endpoint URL to point in an OpenID-enabled website…

I tried things like http://my.server:8002/openid/server/ and variants with username or uuid...

On an OpenID login page, I get "no OpenID server detected", while if I check it directly in the browser, I get "This is an OpenID server endpoint, not a human-readable resource. For more information, see http://openid.net/."

The wiki page seems to be an old proposal (http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OpenID), I can't find real information on how to use it…

Le 2 févr. 2012 à 15:18, Diva Canto a écrit :

> OpenSim has OpenID support. OAuth is not supported [yet]. It doesn't seem like high priority at this point, but patches are always welcome.
>
> On 2/2/2012 1:35 AM, Gudule Lapointe wrote:
>> Are there projects to implement OAuth / OpenID authentication server from OpenSim accounts?
>>
>> I found a couple of discussions about using OAuth as in-world authentication, but it is not what I mean. I just would want users to be able to use their avatar account to login in a web platform like WordPress or Drupal, a ticket support system… any OAuth -capable website…
>>
>> Using OAuth would allow a wider range of solutions, and best mixes of solutions to build the website

Re: OAuth / OpenID server

Gudule Lapointe
Getting the last build into my test environment to check that…

Am I wrong or the OpenID protocol is also used between OS servers in Hypergrid context? Could the bug explain the "Unknown user" issue mentioned earlier in this mailing list?

Le 2 févr. 2012 à 17:41, Diva Canto a écrit :

> For human-facing tools, it's /users/First_Last
> But there was a bug there that made it fail. I just fixed it. You'll have to wait for 0.7.3 for this fix to make it through.
>
> On 2/2/2012 7:42 AM, Gudule Lapointe wrote:
>> I saw some vars related to it in .ini, but I can't find the endpoint URL to point in an OpenID-enabled website…
>>
>> I tried things like http://my.server:8002/openid/server/ and variants with username or uuid...
>>
>> On an OpenID login page, I get "no OpenID server detected", while if I check it directly in the browser, I get "This is an OpenID server endpoint, not a human-readable resource. For more information, see http://openid.net/."
>>
>> The wiki page seems to be an old proposal (http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OpenID), I can't find real information on how to use it…

Re: OAuth / OpenID server

Mic Bowman
I believe so. I would have to check with Jonathan on the status of the OpenID provider work.

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 9:24 AM, Gudule Lapointe <[hidden email]> wrote:
As told initially, i am mostly interested by the reverse context: using OpenSim user accounts to authenticate on a website.

Does Simian also allow this use?

Le 2 févr. 2012 à 17:05, Mic Bowman a écrit :

If you use Simian instead of Robust as your grid infrastructure, you can use OpenID and OAuth for identification. ScienceSim, for example, can use Facebook IDs, Google OpenIDs etc for authentication.

--mic

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 7:42 AM, Gudule Lapointe <[hidden email]> wrote:
I saw some vars related to it in .ini, but I can't find the endpoint URL to point in an OpenID-enabled website…

I tried things like http://my.server:8002/openid/server/ and variants with username or uuid...

On an OpenID login page, I get "no OpenID server detected", while if I check it directly in the browser, I get "This is an OpenID server endpoint, not a human-readable resource. For more information, see http://openid.net/."

The wiki page seems to be an old proposal (http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OpenID), I can't find real information on how to use it…

Le 2 févr. 2012 à 15:18, Diva Canto a écrit :

> OpenSim has OpenID support. OAuth is not supported [yet]. It doesn't seem like high priority at this point, but patches are always welcome.
>
> On 2/2/2012 1:35 AM, Gudule Lapointe wrote:
>> Are there projects to implement OAuth / OpenID authentication server from OpenSim accounts?
>>
>> I found a couple of discussions about using OAuth as in-world authentication, but it is not what I mean. I just would want users to be able to use their avatar account to login in a web platform like WordPress or Drupal, a ticket support system… any OAuth -capable website…
>>
>> Using OAuth would allow a wider range of solutions, and best mixes of solutions to build the website

Re: OAuth / OpenID server

Diva Canto
The Hypergrid doesn't use OpenID. OpenID doesn't provide the necessary
data for exchanging the agent information that is required for the HG to
work.

On 2/2/2012 9:35 AM, Gudule Lapointe wrote:

> Getting the last build into my test environment to check that…
>
> Am I wrong or the OpenID protocol is also used between OS servers in Hypergrid context? Could the bug explain the "Unknown user" issue mentioned earlier in this mailing list?
>

> Le 2 févr. 2012 à 17:41, Diva Canto a écrit :
>
>> For human-facing tools, it's /users/First_Last
>> But there was a bug there that made it fail. I just fixed it. You'll have to wait for 0.7.3 for this fix to make it through.
>>
>> On 2/2/2012 7:42 AM, Gudule Lapointe wrote:
>>> I saw some vars related to it in .ini, but I can't find the endpoint URL to point in an OpenID-enabled website…
>>>
>>> I tried things like http://my.server:8002/openid/server/ and variants with username or uuid...
>>>
>>> On an OpenID login page, I get "no OpenID server detected", while if I check it directly in the browser, I get "This is an OpenID server endpoint, not a human-readable resource. For more information, see http://openid.net/."
>>>
>>> The wiki page seems to be an old proposal (http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OpenID), I can't find real information on how to use it…

Re: OAuth / OpenID server

Gudule Lapointe
Diva, I just tried the last build, with your fix, and it didn't work…
It looks to me like if the final confirmation page doesn't include the redirection to the callback url to finalize the auth process

- I put http://my.server:8002/users/My_Name in OpenID field
- There are two scenarios (in same situation, just depending of the retries)
- The website page keeps saying "please wait" and I get a downloadable file named "server", of type application/x-openid-kvf (instead of an html page. Then I have to stop there
- I get the simple page from my OpenSim server asking for first, last and password
(tried several retries and I couldn't tell a difference in the process to explain the page downloaded or rendered)
- When I fill the form and press "login", I am sent to a page saying
"This is an OpenID server endpoint, not a human-readable resource. For more information, see http://openid.net/."

In the Robust.log, I see the OpenID request, mentioning the return page (openid.return_to)

Le 2 févr. 2012 à 18:35, Gudule Lapointe a écrit :

[...]

The OpenID endpoint is at /openid/server -- that's what other services should use to verify identity via OpenID.
The service at /users is just for telling a human that the user name is a valid OpenID account (or not), as far as I can tell.

On 2/2/2012 11:16 AM, Gudule Lapointe wrote:
[...]

Tried this. Not any better.

When I use /openid/server as openid login url, I don't ever get the login page, I get "No identity server detected" (actual message vary, depending of the website I use for the test)

(In theory, /user/First_Last should be fine, as it contains the <link rel… tag which redirects actually to the /openid/server page. Getting the login page confirms this step is ok.)

The problem (in both cases, using /user/First_Last or /openid/server url) is that the final page falls back to a warning, probably because the handlers believe it didn't receive (or really didn't) the confirmation of the authentications.

Only the initial request (with request vars) is logged to Robust.log, before it sends the authentication form.
DotNetOpenId Received OpenID checkid_setup request.
(…)

But, with more testing… strangely, I got another behavior with one of the sites I tested, sourceforge, which allows also openid authentication. With this one only, I get more output after confirming my password. But still no lucky end:

DEBUG - OpenSim.Services.AuthenticationService.PasswordAuthenticationService <log4net.Error>Exception during StringFormat: Index (zero based) must be greater than or equal to zero and less than the size of the argument list. <format>[AUTH SERVICE]: Salted hash {0} of given password did not match salted hash of {1} for PrincipalID {2}.  Authentication failure.

If I understood correctly the OpenId standard, salted hash of the password is not meant to match salted hash of UUID…
(I can tell I double-checked the password, it's not the problem)