OSSL OSFunctionThreatLevel no longer works in opensim since the OSgrid packaged release of 2015-10-18 0.8.3 dev

OSSL OSFunctionThreatLevel no longer works in opensim since the OSgrid packaged release of 2015-10-18 0.8.3 dev

tringate
Has anyone else noticed that since the last packaged release of opensim on OSgrid that the OSSL functions are now throwing script errors because they killed the use of OSFunctionThreatLevel = VeryHigh in the [XEngine] section?

You now have to place individual statements into your .ini file to allow each OSSL function to operate.

What was the point of even having a OSFunctionThreatLevel?

Every few hours another user complains about script errors to me and I am back editing the .ini files.  I guess I need to put all of the OSSL functions into my .INI so I can get some rest.

The wiki is useless since most of the information there on OSSL if no longer correct and no heads up given when they make massive changes to the code like that.

Re: OSSL OSFunctionThreatLevel no longer works inopensim since the OSgrid packaged release of 2015-10-18 0.8.3 dev

drwhiet@spacefriends.de
I had such a a section in my opensim.ini before (  # {OSFunctionThreatLevel}   like Allow_osConsoleCommand =  111.111.111.... )
to control who can use higher functions. Mayby you have to have those infos now in a seperate .ini file.

This is from the 0.8.2.0 Release info:
New section: [OSSL]. This includes a new ini file (config-include/osslEnable.ini) which contains all the settings for OSSL functions.

Mayby this will help. Not tested the new release myself, but i will do try it soon.

Wordromthe Wise

Re: OSSL OSFunctionThreatLevel no longer works inopensim since the OSgrid packaged release of 2015-10-18 0.8.3 dev

Mister Blue
It would be a bug if ThreatLevel setting was not working. You should Mantis that.

There is bin/config-include/osslEnable.ini that should be included from OpenSim.ini (it is in OpenSIm.ini.example) that sets all the LSL functions to a useful setting. You should find and update that file for your particular regions.

== mb

On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 1:31 AM, drWhiet <[hidden email]> wrote:
I had such a a section in my opensim.ini before (  # {OSFunctionThreatLevel}   like Allow_osConsoleCommand =  111.111.111.... )
to control who can use higher functions. Mayby you have to have those infos now in a seperate .ini file.

This is from the 0.8.2.0 Release info:
New section: [OSSL]. This includes a new ini file (config-include/osslEnable.ini) which contains all the settings for OSSL functions.

Mayby this will help. Not tested the new release myself, but i will do try it soon.

Wordromthe Wise

Re: OSSL OSFunctionThreatLevel no longer works in opensim since the OSgrid packaged release of 2015-10-18 0.8.3 dev

Im Auftrag von *Thomas Ringate
> > Has anyone else noticed that since the last packaged release of opensim on
> > OSgrid that the OSSL functions are now throwing script errors because they
> > killed the use of OSFunctionThreatLevel = VeryHigh in the
> [XEngine] section?

The threat level mechanism is definitely working, so MB said its
likely that the configuration files are not quite right for the more
recent releases since the .ini.example files and default behaviour
loads bin/config-include/osslEnable.ini

It could even be that your own overrides are earlier in the .ini file
load chain and are getting overridden.  Trace through the OpenSim.ini
file, any OSSL configuration and the include on
bin/config-include/osslEnable.ini to check things.

Re: OSSL OSFunctionThreatLevel no longer works in opensim since the OSgrid packaged release of 2015-10-18 0.8.3 dev

tringate
I think I have figured out what the issue might be.

I set the threat level to 'very high" in my GridCommon.ini but the
osslEnable.ini file sets all the OSSL functions individually.  I believe the
individual "allow" files take precedence over the threat level which has
resulted in that setting being somewhat useless.

One suggestion was to comment out the individual set commands which would
allow the threat level command to now work.

I decided to just alter the individual settings to be "true" but I left some
as is.  I am still getting lots of script errors so I guess I need to list
every single OSSL function and set every one of them to "true".

I thought since before my setting of threat level very high I could just
change all of those to be "true" and it would be back to normal.

Maybe there are some missing.  I did have a couple individual settings in my
original GridCommon.ini but deleted them thinking the new file had
everything in it.

I'll pull a backup file and check to see if all of those are indeed now set
to "true".

I had no idea so many people had scripts that used these functions until my
residents started telling me they were getting all sorts of script errors
suddenly.

What is strange is that the include to bring in osslEnable.ini  is commented
out in OpenSim.ini in the OSgrid distribution, and I can't find where the
include actually is.

It has to be some where, because changing the file is helping resolve the
problems.
It's not in GridHypergrid.ini, or GridCommon.ini either.  I understand the
flow to be
OpenSim.ini
GridHypergrid.ini
GridCommon.ini

So how is osslEnable.ini  getting included?

Something about this structure changed in the past two releases from OSgrid.

Tom

opensim since the OSgrid packaged release of 2015-10-18 0.8.3 dev

Im Auftrag von *Thomas Ringate
> > Has anyone else noticed that since the last packaged release of opensim
> > on
> > OSgrid that the OSSL functions are now throwing script errors because
> > they
> > killed the use of OSFunctionThreatLevel = VeryHigh in the
> [XEngine] section?

The threat level mechanism is definitely working, so MB said its
likely that the configuration files are not quite right for the more
recent releases since the .ini.example files and default behaviour
loads bin/config-include/osslEnable.ini

It could even be that your own overrides are earlier in the .ini file
load chain and are getting overridden.  Trace through the OpenSim.ini
file, any OSSL configuration and the include on
bin/config-include/osslEnable.ini to check things.

Re: OSSL OSFunctionThreatLevel no longer works in opensim since the OSgrid packaged release of 2015-10-18 0.8.3 dev

tringate
I discovered what changed.

I was looking at my working three releases back OpenSim.ini file when I said
that the line
Include-osslEnable = "config-include/osslEnable.ini"
was commented out.

In the past two released it is no longer commented out.
So, the fact the individual settings take precedence over the threat level
is exactly why so many things do not work the same after these releases.
I would have to set all OSSL functions to be "true" with a threat level of
very high or lower for it to be like it was before the newer releases.

Given that every OSSL function has been individually set, what exactly does
threat level even do now?  The default is negates the threat level as a
useful setting.
It will not over ride the individual settings.

My original file had this section in it to set the OSSL functions.

[XEngine]
    DeleteScriptsOnStartup = false
    OSFunctionThreatLevel = VeryHigh
    Allow_osGetRegionStats = true
    Allow_osGetSimulatorMemory = true
    Allow_osSetDynamicTextureData = true
    Allow_osAvatarName2Key = true
    Allow_osMakeNotecard = true
    Allow_osGetAgents = true
    Allow_osNpcRemove = true
    Allow_osNpcCreate = true
    Allow_osNpcMoveTo = true
    Allow_osAgentSaveAppearance = true
    Allow_osAvatarPlayAnimation = true
    Allow_osAvatarStopAnimation = true
    Allow_osGetAvatarList = true

Tom

At 12:00 27/10/2015, Tom wrote:
>What is strange is that the include to bring in osslEnable.ini  is commented
>out in OpenSim.ini in the OSgrid distribution, and I can't find where the
>include actually is.

Tom...  the OSGrid distribution bin\OpenSim.ini does have the line
enabled .. its in the [OSSL] section.. and it points to

.\config-include\osslEnable.ini

See latest distribution at http://www.osgrid.org/index.php/downloads

Re: OSSL OSFunctionThreatLevel no longer works in opensim since the OSgrid packaged release of 2015-10-18 0.8.3 dev

Tom... and others... its also worth making a copy of
config-include\osslEnable.ini into a file with another name there...
I use  config-include\osslEnable-Mod.ini and referring to that
modified file name in your OpenSim.ini.  That way when you bring in a
new update or release your own modified version will not be
overwritten accidentally.

Re: OSSL OSFunctionThreatLevel no longer works in opensim since the OSgrid packaged release of 2015-10-18 0.8.3 dev

DZ-2

From: Fred Beckhusen <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [Opensim-users] OSSL OSFunctionThreatLevel no longer,  works
        [Ferd Frederix]

Hi Thomas:

You had OSFunctionThreatLevel = VeryHigh followed by a list of Allow* = true in your original ini files.  OSFunctionThreatLevel = VeryHigh  was probably all you needed.   That one line set all functions "true" so anyone can do anything they want, which is also very dangerous. Any visitor could easily kill your systems with that high of a threat level. In spite of the warnings, pretty much everyone set it to VeryHigh (including me) which was not good.

Folks,

While  I am happy to see the issue raised  is resolved,  it pains me greatly to see comments like this..  Lets be clear about a couple things...

1. Letting users run ANY script can be "dangerous" to the performance of your grid, whether it uses  OS functions  or not.
Any user  with script execute permissions can start a script  that repeated  calls  a resource consuming  function to degrade  the  sim / grid performance. So  just setting  OSFunctionThreatLevel  is  NOT a grid wide solution.   It is a reminder to Grid operators  that they need to consider the implications of what they allow.

2. It is clear that the threat levels assigned to the  OS functions  have  historically  been  "dramatic".
NPC related functions are still labelled SEVERE, even though a lot of work has been directed  at making the default  NPC creation/destruction process  much less "dangerous".  You need to balance the benefits with the possible  consequences.   I've  crashed  more sims  using  OSDraw functions  (which have a lower threat level, but  over time can consume  significantly more resources)  than I have  generating  100's of NPCs  at a time.

3. The OS functions  can provide SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER performing  scripts than attempting to perform the same operations in "standard" LSL.   For instance..  Animation Overrides  where  OS functions eliminate the need to loop 5 times a second to find out if the animation state  has changed.

4.  OS functions  enable a much BROADER range of scripted applications than standard LSL  and  should be be promoted  as one of the advantages of the  OpenSim platform  vs that Linden Place.

Please  don't  just say  "They are dangerous,  restrict them" ....

Doug Osborn

Re: OSSL OSFunctionThreatLevel no longer works in opensim since the OSgrid packaged release of 2015-10-18 0.8.3 dev

Inqy Wei
I'm also struggling with the 'threat level' issue. So to be clear, does threat level override the individual 'allow' commands, or do they override threat level?

If it's the latter, given that every OSSL function is now individually set, does threat level actually do anything?

Re: OSSL OSFunctionThreatLevel no longer works in opensim since the OSgrid packaged release of 2015-10-18 0.8.3 dev

Foxxe Wilder
What with all this talk of Include-osslEnable = "config-include/osslEnable.ini" I have yet to see ONE example of an actual osslEnable.ini file.

Could SOMEONE PLEASE show an example of one of these? I have about a dozen objects that are nothing more than static objects due to the failure of the functions of the scripts (which happened sometime during late 2016).

At this point I have NOTHING to work off of.
-->Foxxe-->