Oar Files and Security?

Robert Klein
On another thread we have been discussing the sharing of oar files by dropping items on a common region and then sharing that region out as an oar file every week. What if someone decides to drop an item that contains some kind of malicious behaviors? What can we do to "certify" an item is safe? Let's face it there are people who exist only for the destruction of other's enjoyment and this seems like a perfect chance for them to do the stupid things they so much love to do.

-Robert

Re: Oar Files and Security?

Sacha Magne
we can't.

You need to check the oar on a fresh sim and review all the stuff.

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 2:56 PM, Robert Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

On another thread we have been discussing the sharing of oar files by
dropping items on a common region and then sharing that region out as an oar
file every week. What if someone decides to drop an item that contains some
kind of malicious behaviors? What can we do to "certify" an item is safe?
Let's face it there are people who exist only for the destruction of other's
enjoyment and this seems like a perfect chance for them to do the stupid
things they so much love to do.

-Robert

http://K-grid.com
Just be cause it's Kool

Re: Oar Files and Security?

Ralf Haifisch
Absolutely true, there are griefer..

That is where is see an alt-avatar and regions on demand, just to test drive
an oar.

http://opensim.cybertechnews.org/?p=205

If it breaks the region or the alt - not trouble

You could even use a standalone on demand...

Cheers
Ralf
------------------------------

Re: Oar Files and Security?

Diva Canto
Let me emphasize  that OpenSim, and the Hypergrid in particular, are
extremely unsafe at this point in time. No one should have any false
expectations of security. Security is coming, and it will be as good as
our collective minds can make it, but it's not here yet.

If you can't cope with the current risks, don't use OpenSim now -- come
back next year -- or/and stay within the borders of your private world.
If you still want to use it at large with the current risks, figure out
what works for you as mitigation -- backups, alts, quarantine sims, etc.

Crista