Odd but persistent symptom

John Hopkin
Pretty frequently, I've been experiencing lock-ups with OpenSim.exe
that defy all attempts to diagnose by elimination.   It's been like
this for several weeks, across various releases up to and including
8131.  I'll briefly describe the symptoms here in the hope that
someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

1.  When it happens, the server is usually up and running, and it's
much more likely to happen when two avs are logged in (I've not tried
any more than two) than with one.  It can also happen with only one,
or with none, and sometimes happens while scripts are still loading
after starting the server, sometimes after an hour or so of running.
Sometimes it can be left on overnight with no logins and it'll be
fine.

A typical scenario would be one av being logged in without problems
for quite a long time; when a second av logs in, the server locks up
within seconds.  This, however, is not a completely universal rule,
just the most common of the many scenarios.

2.  What happens is this: the region server stops responding at the
command line, and nothing more will happen until it's killed off.
Clients get logged off after timeout.  On a system monitor, one
virtual CPU (it's a P4, so single-core, but with hyper-threading there
are two logical CPUs) is going flat-out at around 85-95%, the second
CPU idling at around the normal 30%.  This persists until the process
is killed.  Memory usage continues as normal. around 30-50% of the 2GB
total.

3.  The server is running in grid mode, with UGAIM services provided
by OSGrid, on a Ubuntu 8.10 server with Mono 1.9.1.  There are four
regions serviced by one copy of OpenSim.exe.  Scripting is XEngine,
physics ODE/Meshmerizer.  There are around 2200 prims in all, with
perhaps 400 mostly idle scripts.

4. Eliminating each of the regions in turn seems to alleviate the
problem to a certain degree - most of the time, any single region may
be run with less problems than all four, but there is little pattern
to this in the longer term.  In the short term, it may appear that a
particular region is at fault, but after a day or two the situation
may change.

5.  Disabling scripting doesn't seem to have much, if any effect.  No
script is doing anything particularly exotic, and all are normally
waiting for events.

6.  Another thing which sometimes (but not always) helps is to remove
the mostly recently-rezzed prims.

7.  I've tried reinstalling Ubuntu, and I've also moved the whole
thing from one machine to another during this time.  OpenSim has been
upgraded roughly weekly to the latest stable version hosted by OSGrid.

It's hard to eliminate anything, because the situation changes so
often; it may appear to run fine for several hours, with two avs
making moderate use of the sims for building, etc, then it may barely
run at all.

If any of this looks familiar to anyone, I'd be very grateful for any
help.  I think you can imagine how frustrating this has been for
myself and my partner, being almost completely unable to progress with
our plans for building the regions into the land of our dreams.  And
it's particularly galling because of the lack of consistency - we
never seem to be able to narrow down the cause of the problem.
--
John Hopkin

Re: Odd but persistent symptom [text][bayes]

Dirk Krause
Hi,

it doesn't really sound like this bug here
but maybe you want to make sure that you set the number of threads high as proposed there
  export MONO_THREADS_PER_CPU=150
with '150' being maybe a number that is too high.

What esp does not sound like this bug, is the console freeze. This is something that I didnt experience IIRC.

Having said that, with freezing applications I always suspect hardware issues, namely faulty RAM.

Best,
  Dirk/Barth

winmail.dat (6K) Download Attachment

Dirk Krause wrote:

>it doesn't really sound like this bug here
>  http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=2946
>but maybe you want to make sure that you set the number of threads high as proposed there
>  export MONO_THREADS_PER_CPU=150
>with '150' being maybe a number that is too high.

Thanks - trying that now, and I'll report back.  If there are any
other Mono tweaks that may improve things, I'd be interested; through
lack of better knowledge I simply use 1.9.1 out-of-the-box.

>What esp does not sound like this bug, is the console freeze. This is something that I didnt experience IIRC.
>
>Having said that, with freezing applications I always suspect hardware issues, namely faulty RAM.

True, and what I first suspected too, but moving onto another machine
entirely didn't make any difference in this case.

Kyle Hamilton
I'd suggest upgrading to mono 2.0.1, since they did change a few
things.  (I'm not sure what those are, but I haven't heard complaints
from those who upgraded, and it appears likely that fairly soon the
OpenSim codebase will start using higher-version C# features that
2.0.1 supports but 1.9.1 doesn't.)

-Kyle H

John Hopkin wrote:

>Dirk Krause wrote:
>
>>it doesn't really sound like this bug here
>>  http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=2946
>>but maybe you want to make sure that you set the number of threads high as proposed there
>>  export MONO_THREADS_PER_CPU=150
>>with '150' being maybe a number that is too high.
>
>Thanks - trying that now, and I'll report back.

Unfortunately, it's not fixed the problem.  Everything was running
smoothly for several hours, then it started locking up with two avs,
then with one (with restarts in-between), etc, etc, just as normal.

Thanks anyway for the help.
--
John Hopkin

Re: Odd but persistent symptom [text][bayes]

John Hopkin
I though 2.0.1 was still a bit of a tricky business?  If it's
reasonably straightforward now, I'll definitely upgrade.  I'll have a
poke around for information - thanks.

If anyone knows of any write-ups on the upgrade procedure, I'd be
grateful for pointers.

Kyle Hamilton wrote:

>I'd suggest upgrading to mono 2.0.1, since they did change a few
>things.  (I'm not sure what those are, but I haven't heard complaints
>from those who upgraded, and it appears likely that fairly soon the
>OpenSim codebase will start using higher-version C# features that
>2.0.1 supports but 1.9.1 doesn't.)
>
>-Kyle H
>
>On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 6:47 AM, John Hopkin
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dirk Krause wrote:
>>
>>>it doesn't really sound like this bug here
>>>  http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=2946
>>>but maybe you want to make sure that you set the number of threads high as proposed there
>>>  export MONO_THREADS_PER_CPU=150
>>>with '150' being maybe a number that is too high.
>>
>> Thanks - trying that now, and I'll report back.  If there are any
>> other Mono tweaks that may improve things, I'd be interested; through
>> lack of better knowledge I simply use 1.9.1 out-of-the-box.
>>
>>>What esp does not sound like this bug, is the console freeze. This is something that I didnt experience IIRC.
>>>
>>>Having said that, with freezing applications I always suspect hardware issues, namely faulty RAM.
>>
>> True, and what I first suspected too, but moving onto another machine
>> entirely didn't make any difference in this case.

To upgrade, I followed DrS's script here:
  http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/2009/01/06/mono-20-build-script/

and it worked great for me (it takes some time, btw).

Also BTW: the
  export MONO_THREADS_PER_CPU=150
was tested only under Mono 2.0.1 (at least by me), so you might want to repeat your test.

Kyle Hamilton wrote:

>I'd suggest upgrading to mono 2.0.1, since they did change a few
>things.  (I'm not sure what those are, but I haven't heard complaints
>from those who upgraded, and it appears likely that fairly soon the
>OpenSim codebase will start using higher-version C# features that
>2.0.1 supports but 1.9.1 doesn't.)
>
>-Kyle H
>
>On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 6:47 AM, John Hopkin
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dirk Krause wrote:
>>
>>>it doesn't really sound like this bug here
>>>  http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=2946
>>>but maybe you want to make sure that you set the number of threads high as proposed there
>>>  export MONO_THREADS_PER_CPU=150
>>>with '150' being maybe a number that is too high.
>>
>> Thanks - trying that now, and I'll report back.  If there are any
>> other Mono tweaks that may improve things, I'd be interested; through
>> lack of better knowledge I simply use 1.9.1 out-of-the-box.
>>
>>>What esp does not sound like this bug, is the console freeze. This is something that I didnt experience IIRC.
>>>
>>>Having said that, with freezing applications I always suspect hardware issues, namely faulty RAM.
>>
>> True, and what I first suspected too, but moving onto another machine
>> entirely didn't make any difference in this case.

Dr Scofield
John Hopkin wrote:
> I though 2.0.1 was still a bit of a tricky business?  If it's
> reasonably straightforward now, I'll definitely upgrade.  I'll have a
> poke around for information - thanks.

i've now used my updated build script
http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/mono-2-build1.sh from
http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/2009/01/06/mono-20-build-script/ successfully a couple of
times. you might want to give that a try.

        cheers DrS/dirk

--
dr dirk husemann ---- virtual worlds research ---- ibm zurich research lab
SL: dr scofield ---- [hidden email] ---- http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/

Re: Odd but persistent symptom [text][bayes]

Charles Krinke-3
The folks at mono-project.com have now obsoleted mono-2.0.1 and released mono-2.2. There are some binaries on their download page, and the source to create binaries for other then the 7 distributions they support.

Charles

Dr Scofield wrote:

>John Hopkin wrote:
>> I though 2.0.1 was still a bit of a tricky business?  If it's
>> reasonably straightforward now, I'll definitely upgrade.  I'll have a
>> poke around for information - thanks.
>
>i've now used my updated build script
>http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/mono-2-build1.sh from
>http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/2009/01/06/mono-20-build-script/ successfully a couple of
>times. you might want to give that a try.
>
> cheers DrS/dirk

Thanks.  I used your script, and the upgrade went smoothly; OpenSim
worked straight away.  Including, and cue the hesitant drum rolls,
several hours of fairly intensive building by two avatars without any
sign of the locking-up.

If it's still not happened within a few days of further testing, it
looks like the problem's been solved, thank goodness.  In which case,
many thanks to all - we're both (tentatively) very happy and very
grateful.

I'll report back in a day or two, sooner if it happens again.

John Hopkin wrote:

> Dr Scofield wrote:
>
>> John Hopkin wrote:
>>> I though 2.0.1 was still a bit of a tricky business?  If it's
>>> reasonably straightforward now, I'll definitely upgrade.  I'll have a
>>> poke around for information - thanks.
>> i've now used my updated build script
>> http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/mono-2-build1.sh from
>> http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/2009/01/06/mono-20-build-script/ successfully a couple of
>> times. you might want to give that a try.
>>
>> cheers DrS/dirk
>
> Thanks.  I used your script, and the upgrade went smoothly; OpenSim
> worked straight away.  Including, and cue the hesitant drum rolls,
> several hours of fairly intensive building by two avatars without any
> sign of the locking-up.
>
> If it's still not happened within a few days of further testing, it
> looks like the problem's been solved, thank goodness.  In which case,
> many thanks to all - we're both (tentatively) very happy and very
> grateful.
>
> I'll report back in a day or two, sooner if it happens again.

cool :-)