On Linux, Latest SL/Opensim viewer not compatible with opensim water...

On Linux, Latest SL/Opensim viewer not compatible with opensim water...

Opensimfan
This post was updated on .
On Linux, Latest SL/Opensim viewer not compatible with opensim water...

If i run Opensimulator on (ubuntu) linux, the latest SL/Opensim viewer(s) are not compatible
with opensim water... as far as i know there are no changes concerning water...

(open links in new tab/Window)

Kokua 3.7.4.32111
http://1drv.ms/1fLrnTY

Kokua Viewer_Connection_info.rtf
http://1drv.ms/1gZ58PB

for correct water you need to back to Imprudence 1.4.0 exp 1 (May 26 2013 00:16:48)
strangely, this viewer shows water correctly....

Imprudence 1.4.0 exp 1
http://1drv.ms/1fLy8Fh

imprudence_Viewer_Connection_info.rtf
http://1drv.ms/1gZ5iGJ

Lets make things better, even water :)
André
OpenSimFan

My Opensim/Second Life Blog
http://verwijs.wordpress.com

(Dutch, basic hardware/software help windows, Mac, Linux)
http://verwijs-pc.nl

My Twitter Page:
http://twitter.com/OpenSimFan

My Facebook page (be my friend, please )
http://www.facebook.com/andre.verwijs

My Google+ page (follow me please )
André Verwijs - Google+

Re: On Linux, Latest SL/Opensim viewer not compatible with opensim water...

riebling
My intuition is that it's a viewer problem; does the Kokua viewer display water the same way when connecting to SL? If it does, then it's not an OpenSim problem. I am 99% sure water is 100% handled client side, and OpenSim server code has nothing to do with it.

Maybe try some more experiments to narrow down possibilities.
I just downloaded and ran viewer Kokua_64_3_7_4_32111_x86_64 on Ubuntu, and got normal looking water.

One thing I DID notice about Kokua was that it does not allow me to choose advanced graphics settings. Kokua locks me out of certain things, where other viewers (Singularity) do not. (My graphics hardware is low quality motherboard-based, and generates a warning at startup) In spite of this, With Singularity, I can actually turn on shaders, advanced lighting model, water reflections, etc.

Perhaps the Kokua developers would be interested in your findings.

  http://wiki.kokuaviewer.org/wiki/Communication_Channels

Good luck getting water to look better!

Re: On Linux, Latest SL/Opensim viewer not compatible with opensim water...

Chris M
 From what I understand, some time ago LL had removed some local assets
from the viewer code, including the default water shader texture, and
the transparent highlighter (that red smokey texture you see when you
enable transparency via CTRL ALT T) since they can directly be served
from the SL grid servers. This results in the client not being able to
find the textures either locally or get it from the server (since to my
knowledge they don't exist in the OpenSim's set of assets that it is
distributed with). Thus on more recent viewers, you see a shiny, smooth,
almost mirror-like surface on the water, instead of ripples; and if you
ever tried editing transparent / semi transparent prims on these viewers
you may notice that when you enable show transparencies they all show up
a solid red color instead of the smokey semi transparent highlight
texture; Which by the way, solid opaque red is really hard to work with
when editing a number of objects in close proximity and they all have
some kind of transparency :)

The bad thing about the said asset removal is that you can't simply copy
those assets from an older viewer and put them in your problematic
viewer's install directory... It appears those viewers are now
hard-coded to retrieve those assets from the server and will ignore the
presence of the ones you copied over.

It's a bit of an "ungraceful" and a bit brute force approach I suppose
but; I have a small IAR that I made up that inserts the water shader and
the transparent highlighter textures into your inventory. Once it has
been loaded the database will have the correct textures and UUID
references for them and the viewers should start displaying them
properly again. You don't even have to keep them in your inventory once
it's loaded. Problem is, they are the same textures as found in the
viewer's install directory and I am not sure if they can be distributed
with OS. If none of the developers here have an issue though with me
linking to the IAR that fixes the issue then I will gladly upload it
somewhere and post up a link? Let me know please :)

-- Chris

On 4/2/2014 9:58 AM, riebling wrote:

> My intuition is that it's a viewer problem; does the Kokua viewer display
> water the same way when connecting to SL? If it does, then it's not an
> OpenSim problem. I am 99% sure water is 100% handled client side, and
> OpenSim server code has nothing to do with it.
>
> Maybe try some more experiments to narrow down possibilities.
> I just downloaded and ran viewer Kokua_64_3_7_4_32111_x86_64 on Ubuntu, and
> got normal looking water.
>
> One thing I DID notice about Kokua was that it does not allow me to choose
> advanced graphics settings. Kokua locks me out of certain things, where
> other viewers (Singularity) do not. (My graphics hardware is low quality
> motherboard-based, and generates a warning at startup) In spite of this,
> With Singularity, I can actually turn on shaders, advanced lighting model,
> water reflections, etc.
>
> Perhaps the Kokua developers would be interested in your findings.
>
>    http://wiki.kokuaviewer.org/wiki/Communication_Channels
>
> Good luck getting water to look better!

OpenSim: 10 Region Standalone on 0.7.6 Dev
Physics: Open Dynamics Engine
OS: Windows 7 (x64)
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2 GHz
Memory: 11 GB DDR3
Database: MySQL 5.1.63 (x64)

Re: On Linux, Latest SL/Opensim viewer not compatible with opensim water...

justincc
The usual approach would be to include these assets with OpenSimulator itself, rather than require people to fetch a
separate IAR.  So donating a patch for this would be welcome, though of course the assets would have to be appropriately
licensed.  I would say that they should be identical or very close to the effect expected elsewhere (though, of course,
any proprietary assets are not appropriate).

If I remember, in the past some of these assets
On 02/04/14 16:51, Chris wrote:

> [...]
>> water the same way when connecting to SL? If it does, then it's not an
>> OpenSim problem. I am 99% sure water is 100% handled client side, and
>> OpenSim server code has nothing to do with it.
>>
>> Maybe try some more experiments to narrow down possibilities.
>> I just downloaded and ran viewer Kokua_64_3_7_4_32111_x86_64 on Ubuntu, and
>> got normal looking water.
>>
>> One thing I DID notice about Kokua was that it does not allow me to choose
>> advanced graphics settings. Kokua locks me out of certain things, where
>> other viewers (Singularity) do not. (My graphics hardware is low quality
>> motherboard-based, and generates a warning at startup) In spite of this,
>> With Singularity, I can actually turn on shaders, advanced lighting model,
>> water reflections, etc.
>>
>> Perhaps the Kokua developers would be interested in your findings.

OSVW Consulting

Re: On Linux, Latest SL/Opensim viewer not compatible with opensim water...

Opensimfan
I'm using Ubuntu Trusty, not sure if OS effects opensim graphics  i'll have to try with OpenSuSE to
test this...

thank you :)