Open Source Male Walk Animation for OpenSim?

12

Re: Open Source Male Walk Animation for OpenSim?

Karen_Palen
I tried to download the executable from the website and that is where I get stopped!

I cannot even get the executable!

I can only assume that the website doesn't like the browser I am using!

Karen

Re: Open Source Male Walk Animation for OpenSim?

Len W. Brown
Hmmm...

I just tried it again using Firefox, IE8 and Opera, and all downloaded the exe just fine for me.

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 2:07 PM, Karen Palen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> Source
>
> > Male
>

> > > Walk

> 8:02 PM

> for SL
>

> > > friendly BVH

> > friendly CMU
>

> > > files

> and
>

> > > converting them

> Follows-----

> > > --
>

> > > ~The Cycle of the formation and disintegration http://alefernandez.org.uk/
>

> > >    of the universe influences the formation
>

> > > and disintegration
>

> > > of nature, which in turn is closely related with
>
> > human
>

> > > life" - Yasuji Kimikura

> > > [hidden email]

> > -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

> -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Re: Open Source Male Walk Animation for OpenSim?

drwhiet@spacefriends.de
for me the same .. contacted the support and got this instant reply ..

Thanks for contacting us
.  I just tried with Firefox and it seems to work, so I'm not sure what's
going wrong.
Do you have Javascript enabled?

Here are direct links to download the software, just in case:
For OSX: http://www.animeeple.com/download/files/Animeeple.dmg
For Windows: http://www.animeeple.com/download/files/Animeeple.exe

hope this helps ..

best regards
Wordfromthe Wise

> [...]

> > Male
>

> > > Walk

> 8:02 PM

> for SL
>

> > > friendly BVH

> > friendly CMU
>

> > > files

> and
>

> > > converting them

> Follows-----

> > > --
>

> > > ~The Cycle of the formation and disintegration
> > > http://alefernandez.org.uk/
>

> > >    of the universe influences the formation
>

> > > and disintegration
>

> > > of nature, which in turn is closely related with
>
> > human
>

> > > life" - Yasuji Kimikura

> > > [hidden email]

> > -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

> -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Re: Open Source Male Walk Animation for OpenSim?

Well yes, Javascript was the first thing I tried!

Guess I need to get in touch with their support myself.

Karen

> .  I just tried with Firefox and it seems to work, so
> I'm not sure what's
> going wrong.
> Do you have Javascript enabled?
>
> Here are direct links to download the software, just in
> case:
> For OSX: http://www.animeeple.com/download/files/Animeeple.dmg
> For Windows: http://www.animeeple.com/download/files/Animeeple.exe
>
> hope this helps ..
>
> best regards
> Wordfromthe Wise

Ale Fernandez

Hi karen,

Thanks for your email. I once enquired about default character shapes, textures and animations on IRC and I still have notes about it.

Here they are:The Assets are loaded on startup from various files in /bin/assets,  so under /bin/assets is a readme file that might help in understanding what to do next. Animations are just one of the subdirectories, and it looks like to put them there and load them at startup, we'd need to convert those bvhs to .dat format....

Maybe we can get something working as a wiki page for people to figure out how to put them into their default avatar inventory?

I would find a separate website for this more useful in the long run though, as projects may come and go and new virtual worlds like sirikata might also be looking for places to store things like this.

Ale

On Oct 12, 2009 3:40 PM, "Karen Palen" <[hidden email]> wrote:

If "open licensed" then yes making such a repository would not only be allowed, but would eb useful to most OpenSim users!

My preferred format would be as a addition to the default library that is available to every avatar.

I am not sure just how best to do this, but I am sure someone can tell us.

Karen

Re: Open Source Male Walk Animation for OpenSim?

Karen_Palen
Yes the library files are essentially just XML files which are added to the appropriate directories.

There is a Wiki page which describes how to do this, although I have not yet tried it myself:

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Library_Importing

There are also scripts to help the process!

Opensim also provides a good forum to record your experiences in the Wiki and is about as generic as anything in the virtual world "Metaverse".

You can at least link to the actual data files, and (I think) there is even storage space to store contributions!

I am exploring the wonders(?) of MySQL/BackupPC backups and their limitations :-( so I will be preoccupied for a while in regenerating my OpenSim inventory. GRRR!

I need to write up my findings in the Wiki so noone else gets trapped like I did ever again - especially ME!

My calender for the next few weeks is to restore what I lost and then to do some reasonable upgrade to Ubuntu 9.10 (on 8 machines) Ubuntu 9.10 has a lot of neat stuff that I want to use so it will take priority. After that I will be happy to lend a hand - until then I have LOTS of free advice.

Remember though, "Free advice is worth what you pay for it" :-)

Oh yes, somewhere in there I am supposed to do a review of Windows 7 from a past life when I was a Windows "consultant". My how things change in a year. LOL

Karen

> Thanks for your email. I once enquired about default
> character shapes, textures and animations on IRC and I still
> have notes about it.
> Here they are:The Assets are loaded on startup from
> various files in /bin/assets,  so under /bin/assets is a
> readme file that might help in understanding what to do
> next. Animations are just one of the subdirectories, and it
> looks like to put them there and load them at startup,
> we'd need to convert those bvhs to .dat format....
>
> Maybe we can get something working as a wiki page
> for people to figure out how to put them into their default
> avatar inventory?
>

> I would find a separate website for this more useful in
> the long run though, as projects may come and go and new
> virtual worlds like sirikata might also be looking for
> places to store things like this.
> Ale
> On Oct 12, 2009 3:40 PM,
> "Karen Palen" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> If "open licensed" then yes making such a
> repository would not only be allowed, but would eb useful to
> most OpenSim users!
>

> My preferred format would be as a addition to the default
> library that is available to every avatar.
>

> I am not sure just how best to do this, but I am sure
> someone can tell us.
>

> Karen
>
> --- On Mon, 10/12/09, Ale Fernandez <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

> > From: Ale Fernandez <[hidden email]>
>
> > Subject: Re: [Opensim-users]
> Open Source Male Walk Animation for OpenSim?
> > To: opensim-users@list...> Date: Monday,
> October 12, 2009, 6:09 AM
>
> > Is it worth it then, to start
> > building some kind of repository for
> > these and other open
> licens...
>
> -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Re: Open Source Male Walk Animation for OpenSim?

Robert Klein
It doesn't throw an error for me and it seemed to bring in a CMU animation file fairly easily. Shows all the joints and stuff. It will even grab an animation right from your SL account. I just can't seem to figure out how to put the animation with an avatar and export it out as an OpenSim bvh file. Well at least one that works! :)

-Robert

Len Brown wrote

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 1:20 PM, Karen Palen <karen_palen@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Which browser did you use?
>
> I used IE8 with XP Pro SP3 and current updates as well, but it only gave me
> a "script error".
>
> Looking at the tutorials though, I don't think it gives you anything thta
> Quavimator doesn't.
>
> Karen

I traced the Javascript and it seems that it sends output to a website that is blacklisted as containing malware! :-(

Not a good way to build trust!

Karen

> . It has explicit export support for SL friendly BVH files.
> I've had luck taking the poser friendly CMU files
> mentioned earlier in this thread and converting them in it.
>
> -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Animeeple download problem (was Re: Open Source Male Walk Animation for OpenSim?

Karen_Palen
I wanted to clarify this a little, it seems that the "malware site" which was flagged below is actually "Google Analytics". For some reason this site is returning a null pointer and causing the download to crash.

As far as I know "Google Analytics" is NOT a hacker site that tries to download viruses, trojans, etc.!

Animeeple is working on the problem now that we have identified what is happening.

Karen

> that it sends output to a website that is blacklisted as
> containing malware! :-(
>
> Not a good way to build trust!
>
> Karen
>
> --- On Sun, 10/11/09, Michael <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > From: Michael <[hidden email]>
> > Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] Open Source Male Walk
> Animation for OpenSim?
> > To: [hidden email]
> > Date: Sunday, October 11, 2009, 8:02 PM
> > Take a look at a free program at http://www.animeeple.com
> > . It has explicit export support for SL friendly BVH
> files.
> > I've had luck taking the poser friendly CMU files
> > mentioned earlier in this thread and converting them
> in it.
> >
> > -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Re: Animeeple download problem (was Re: Open Source Male Walk Animation for OpenSim?

Len W. Brown
How strange.  I'm wondering why I never had any issues downloading the software from the site.  I even just tried it here at work (I work at a hospital with a very strict firewall) and it downloaded just fine for me in both IE7 and Firefox 3.5.3.

I'm not by any means disagreeing with you.  I've seen weird things like this before when it comes to blacklisted malware sites, etc.  I'm just particularly curious about why this seems an issue with some and not others.

I have a good friend in a nearby state and he has been unable to download it as well.

I'd almost be willing to bet the trouble lies in your use of some kind of firewall/malware/spam filter.  But even then, like you mentioned - Google Analytics should not be blacklisted.

Weirdness.  But that is what makes the Interweb such a fun place to hang out.  :)

- Len

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 3:46 AM, Karen Palen <[hidden email]> wrote:
I wanted to clarify this a little, it seems that the "malware site" which was flagged below is actually "Google Analytics". For some reason this site is returning a null pointer and causing the download to crash.

As far as I know "Google Analytics" is NOT a hacker site that tries to download viruses, trojans, etc.!

Animeeple is working on the problem now that we have identified what is happening.

Karen

> that it sends output to a website that is blacklisted as
> containing malware! :-(
>
> Not a good way to build trust!
>
> Karen
>
> --- On Sun, 10/11/09, Michael <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > From: Michael <[hidden email]>
> > Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] Open Source Male Walk
> Animation for OpenSim?
> > To: [hidden email]
> > Date: Sunday, October 11, 2009, 8:02 PM
> > Take a look at a free program at http://www.animeeple.com
> > . It has explicit export support for SL friendly BVH
> files.
> > I've had luck taking the poser friendly CMU files
> > mentioned earlier in this thread and converting them
> in it.
> >
> > -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Re: Animeeple download problem (was Re: Open Source Male Walk Animation for OpenSim?

Karen_Palen
I have often had trouble with Google Analytics in being able to access it from some places and not others when I travel.

I don't think it is directly my firewall, but more likely some sort of bad routing somewhere along the chain.

I have seen the same thing with Yahoo mail, especially when you move a long distance - like Phoenix AZ to Singapore as we did a couple of years ago. Normally Yahoo services you from one of their local servers, but when you are travelling that is not always possible.

I have found that they seem to move your "host location" after about 6 weeks to a month, until then you have all kinds of strange problems cropping up! Of course when you return home you get to do it all over again :-)

In this case the problem seems to be that the Javascript crashes when it can't reach Google-Analytics, which given the vagaries of the internet is bound to happen fairly often!

Most websites who use the service simply return an error and continue this is not ideal but at least keeps things going!

Actually it is an indication of just how complex the whole thing is when you "look under the hood"!

Karen

> never had any issues downloading the software from the
> site.  I even just tried it here at work (I work at a
> hospital with a very strict firewall) and it downloaded just
> fine for me in both IE7 and Firefox 3.5.3.
>

> I'm not by any means disagreeing with you.  I've
> seen weird things like this before when it comes to
> blacklisted malware sites, etc.  I'm just particularly
> curious about why this seems an issue with some and not
> others.
>

> I have a good friend in a nearby state and he has been
> unable to download it as well.
>
> I'd almost be willing to bet the trouble lies in your
> use of some kind of firewall/malware/spam filter.  But even
> then, like you mentioned - Google Analytics should not be
> blacklisted.
>

> Weirdness.  But that is what makes the Interweb such a fun
> place to hang out.  :)
>
> - Len
>
> On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 3:46 AM,
> Karen Palen <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> I wanted to clarify this a little,
> it seems that the "malware site" which was flagged
> below is actually "Google Analytics". For some
> reason this site is returning a null pointer and causing the
> download to crash.
>

> As far as I know "Google Analytics" is NOT a
> hacker site that tries to download viruses, trojans, etc.!
>

> Animeeple is working on the problem now that we have
> identified what is happening.
>

> Karen
>

> --- On Mon, 10/12/09, Karen Palen <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>

> > From: Karen Palen <[hidden email]>
>
> > Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] Open Source Male Walk
> Animation for OpenSim?
>
> > To: [hidden email]
>
> > Cc: [hidden email]
>
> > Date: Monday, October 12, 2009, 9:46 PM
>
> > I traced the Javascript and it seems
>
> > that it sends output to a website that is blacklisted
> as
>
> > containing malware! :-(
>

> > Not a good way to build trust!
>

> > Karen
>

> > --- On Sun, 10/11/09, Michael <[hidden email]>
>
> > wrote:
>

> > > From: Michael <[hidden email]>
>
> > > Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] Open Source Male
> Walk
>
> > Animation for OpenSim?
>
> > > To: [hidden email]
>
> > > Date: Sunday, October 11, 2009, 8:02 PM
>
> > > Take a look at a free program at http://www.animeeple.com
>
> > > . It has explicit export support for SL friendly
> BVH
>
> > files.
>
> > > I've had luck taking the poser friendly CMU
> files
>
> > > mentioned earlier in this thread and converting
> them
>
> > in it.
>

> > > -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

> -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Re: Animeeple download problem (was Re: Open SourceMale Walk Animation for OpenSim?

drwhiet@spacefriends.de

just to add my 5 L$ ... i previous had those symptoms on my customers
website as well.
i would bet those 5 L$ that it is possible you, like i and my clients use
AVIRA as Virus Scanner ?

regards
Wordfromthe Wise

> [...]

> > --- On Sun, 10/11/09, Michael <[hidden email]>
>
> > wrote:
>

> > > From: Michael <[hidden email]>
>
> > > Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] Open Source Male
> Walk
>
> > Animation for OpenSim?
>
> > > To: [hidden email]
>
> > > Date: Sunday, October 11, 2009, 8:02 PM
>
> > > Take a look at a free program at http://www.animeeple.com
>
> > > . It has explicit export support for SL friendly
> BVH
>
> > files.
>
> > > I've had luck taking the poser friendly CMU
> files
>
> > > mentioned earlier in this thread and converting
> them
>
> > in it.
>

> > > -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

> -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Re: Animeeple download problem (was Re: Open SourceMale Walk Animation for OpenSim?

I am running Ubuntu Linux so I don't run any virus scanner!

As a recent "Vista refugee" I am glad to be rid of that hassle :-)

Karen

> just to add my 5 L$ ... i previous had those symptoms on my
> customers
> website as well.
> i would bet those 5 L$ that it is possible you, like i and
> my clients use
> AVIRA as Virus Scanner ?
>
> regards
> Wordfromthe Wise

A little context here, when I HAVE to run Windows I run it as a virtual machine, the machine has no "local storage" enabled and always runs as a fresh install so no virus scanner is needed here either.

Animeeple claims to run only with Win/Mac, although I would be surprised if it would not run properly under Wine. That remains to be proven one way or the other.

Karen

> As a recent "Vista refugee" I am glad to be rid of that
> hassle :-)
>
> Karen
>
> --- On Wed, 10/14/09, Wordfromthe Wise <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > From: Wordfromthe Wise <[hidden email]>
> > Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] Animeeple download
> problem (was Re: Open SourceMale Walk Animation for
> OpenSim?
> > To: [hidden email]
> > Date: Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 1:09 PM
> >
> > just to add my 5 L$ ... i previous had those symptoms
> on my
> > customers
> > website as well.
> > i would bet those 5 L$ that it is possible you, like i
> and
> > my clients use
> > AVIRA as Virus Scanner ?
> >
> > regards