OpenSim 0.6.8 source packages now available for download

OpenSim 0.6.8 source packages now available for download

justincc
Hi folks,

The OpenSim 0.6.8 source release packages are now available from

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Download

In this release, the grid service moves into ROBUST, so anybody upgrading from
0.6.7 to 0.6.8 will need to do some configuration migration work.  Thanks to
Diva, there are instructions at the bottom of

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/ROBUST

for this.  I also overhauled the main configuration page at

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Configuration

to better reflect current configuration realities with 0.6.8.  I also
considerably rearranged the text to split instructions into specific
'standalone' and 'grid' sections.  It's still far from perfect but I think that
it is an improvement (even if I say so myself :).

Here's an extremely high-level and subjective summary of the changes between
0.6.7 and 0.6.8

     * The minimum level of Mono required to build and run OpenSim is now 2.4.2.
     * The version of libomv used by OpenSim was upgraded to 0.8.0-pre.
     * The grid service has been moved to the new ROBUST infrastructure.  The
User and Messaging servers still exist as specific executables.  If you're
moving to OpenSim 0.6.8 from 0.6.7 then there is migration information on the
wiki.  The OpenSim configuration wiki page has also been changed to reflect the
current setup situation with 0.6.8.
     * Parcel information was added to OpenSim region archives (OARs).
     * Inventory Archive (IAR) functionality was improved.
     * JPEG2000 texture generation was considerably improved, which should mean
less missing texture information in general.  However, 64 bit users may see an
increase in the number of exceptions with the new CSJ2K code which replaces the
OpenJPEG library in various spots.  Bug reports are welcome.
     * Considerable work has been done to reduce memory leaks.
     * Excessive flailing when an avatar walks over very moderately bumpy ground
was fixed.
     * Objects on sale at L$0 can now be bought.
     * The Linden Lab Second Life client stack was overhauled.  This should be
improve server responsiveness to client requests.
     * OpenSim's use of the Open Dynamics Engine (ODE) physics plugin was
improved to increase performance.
     * The DotNetEngine scripting engine was removed.  We recommend that anybody
still using it migrate to the XEngine scripting plugin (which has been the
default for sometime).  This does not affect anything at the language level -
all scripts will continue to work as before.
     * The performance and reliability of scene object manipulation code was
improved, though some bugs will remain.  Linking code is as yet largely
unchanged, hence existing object linking bugs very probably still remain.
     * Prim collision meshing has been improved.
     * An issue where avatars could not automatically land on prims was resolved.

This is duplicated from my blog post at
http://justincc.org/blog/2009/12/23/opensim-068-source-packages-released/

I didn't incorporate this into the release itself since it's inevitably somewhat
subjective (it naturally emphasizes the things I know most about or can most
easily learn through documentation).  A high-level changelog should contain more
perspectives - it might be possible to do that for the next release, or perhaps
it doesn't really matter.  A low-level git commit log is probably still better
than nothing so that may be worth considering too for the future.

Some bugs were reported against this release in RC1 testing, in particular
Mantis 4351.  However, this bug is proving very difficult to resolve and as it
doesn't affect everybody I decided to go ahead with the release regardless
rather than hold things up further.  I have to strongly invoke the alpha code
disclaimer here.

I'm hoping the usual good people will produce binary packages and
installers :).  I know I said this for 0.6.7 but judging from the rumbles in the
jungle I think that it is more likely to happen for this release.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Re: OpenSim 0.6.8 source packages now available for download

jeff1564
Hi Justin,

Thank you for all the info, do you know what git hash was used to build the version 6.8?

Visit http://myopengrid.com
Visit http://myopensim.com

Jeff1564 wrote:
> Hi Justin,
>
> Thank you for all the info, do you know what git hash was used to build
> the version 6.8?

It was

139b00ceec3f1cbe986593007c6856f9bf82c3af

also tagged as

0.6.8-release

Re: OpenSim 0.6.8 source packages now available for download

Karen_Palen
A great Christmas Present for all of us - THANK YOU to all of the developers!

Karen

> [...]
> release, or perhaps
> it doesn't really matter.  A low-level git commit log
> is probably still better
> than nothing so that may be worth considering too for the
> future.
>
> Some bugs were reported against this release in RC1
> testing, in particular
> Mantis 4351.  However, this bug is proving very
> difficult to resolve and as it
> doesn't affect everybody I decided to go ahead with the
> release regardless
> rather than hold things up further.  I have to
> strongly invoke the alpha code
> disclaimer here.
>
> I'm hoping the usual good people will produce binary
> packages and
> installers :).  I know I said this for 0.6.7 but
> judging from the rumbles in the
> jungle I think that it is more likely to happen for this

I haven't fallen in a hole

Ovi Chris Rouly
Hey Justin,

... just so you know I haven't fallen in a hole somewhere...

I received your last email and am implementing your suggestions.

...  I'll be back soon.

Chris

OpenSim 0.6.8 source packages now available fordownload

Ovi Chris Rouly
oops..

that wasn't meant for the group.... sorry
.

Re: OpenSim 0.6.8 source packages now available for download

cliveg
Hi

Thanks to the development team for the 0.6.8 version - an excellent
Christmas present :)

I've successfully upgraded OpenSim on both our test and production
servers to from 0.6.7 to 0.6.8 and have published the upgrade
instructions for the standalone sim on my blog at
http://www.linuxtraining.org.uk/blogger4.html

Can anyone please explain what the purpose of the following directives
in the [Network] section of OpenSim.ini is?

ConsoleUser = "Test"
ConsolePass = "secret"

Thanks very much

Clive

Re: OpenSim 0.6.8 source packages now available for download

Frisby, Adam
A remote console feature was added - there should be something like OpenSim.Console.exe in the same directory which allows you to connect to a sim remotely and access the region console.

Adam