OpenSim and Multi-core/Multi-processor Systems

OpenSim and Multi-core/Multi-processor Systems

aiaustin
I recently saw a suggestion from the MOSES team for their MOSES in a
Box that two processor systems were recommended. That got me
wondering whether OpenSim can or does use multi-core and
multi-processor systems if they are in the same computer/server?  So
would dual processors (2 rather than 1 say) and adding cores (4 or 6
or 8?) for each processor make a difference or is it better to go for
higher powdered and faster clock speed with a single processor.

Re: OpenSim and Multi-core/Multi-processor Systems

aiaustin
I did find this discussion forum conversation from nearly 4 years
ago... and wonder if we have somethign more up to date?

http://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/opensim-users/2010-August/005311.html

Related to this also might be how best  to set the maximum number of
threads and if that depends on the processors and/or cores available,
as well presumably on number of regions running in an OpenSim.exe
instance. I see variations of max 1000, 100 and 30 for MaxThreads on
various setups (min 8) and assume these numbers came from
recommendations at various times.

This Wiki entry gives some information on threads.. which seems to
suggest a MaxThreads of 100 (the OpenSimDefaults.ini default).. is
this for one region and it should be increased for multiple regions
on same OpenSim.exe instance, or would that make performance in general worse?

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Threading

I see these notes in the OSGrid add on region OpenSim.ini setup  but
I think the default set in OpenSimDefaults.ini is actually now 100 not 15?

     ; Sets the method that OpenSim will use to fire asynchronous
     ; events. Valid values are UnsafeQueueUserWorkItem,
     ; QueueUserWorkItem, BeginInvoke, SmartThreadPool, and Thread.
     ; SmartThreadPool is reported to work well on Mono/Linux, but
     ; UnsafeQueueUserWorkItem has been benchmarked with better
     ; performance on .NET/Windows
     async_call_method = SmartThreadPool

     ;; Optimizations from Default of 15
     ;; 15 good for Single Core CPU IE: P4
     ;; 30 for Dual Core + CPU's
     ;; 45 for Quad Core + CPU's
     ;; MaxPoolThreads = 45  ; DEFAULT 15

     ; Max threads to allocate on the FireAndForget thread pool
     ; when running with the SmartThreadPool option above
     MaxPoolThreads = 30
     MinPoolThreads = 10

Re: OpenSim and Multi-core/Multi-processor Systems

Alan Miller

I think that depends on what you are doing.

A single loaded simulator, where performance is an issue, ie lots of NPCs objects, scripts etc, will probably benefit most from high clock speed. So Xeon Haswell processors would probably fit the bill.  Once there are multiple loaded i.e. in use simulators the benefits of multiple cores and processors and lots of memory will likely shine through.

Alan

I recently saw a suggestion from the MOSES team for their MOSES in a Box that two processor systems were recommended. That got me wondering whether OpenSim can or does use multi-core and multi-processor systems if they are in the same computer/server?  So would dual processors (2 rather than 1 say) and adding cores (4 or 6 or 8?) for each processor make a difference or is it better to go for higher powdered and faster clock speed with a single processor.

Re: OpenSim and Multi-core/Multi-processor Systems

Maxwell, Douglas
Hi Austin,  the reason I recommend you configure multiple processors for MIAB is because of all the different processes running in the VM.  In addition to OpenSim, there is Apache, MySQL, etc...  The extra processors help balance load.

The only time I've seen multiprocessor systems benefit OpenSim was with our DGS experiments.  Currently your best bet for performance enhancement with regular OpenSimulator is with vertical scaling (faster computer).  Hope this helps.

Douglas Maxwell, MSME
Science and Technology Manager
Virtual World Strategic Applications
U.S. Army Research Lab
Simulation & Training Technology Center (STTC)
(c) (407) 242-0209

Re: OpenSim and Multi-core/Multi-processor Systems

justincc
I would say more cores will give you great but diminishing returns.  It's practically impossible, for instance, to run
OpenSimulator in any serious way with a single core.  And the old rule of thumb was to have a minimum of two cores and
one core per region [1], though this was before the performance improvements in 0.7.6 and also depends heavily on how
much physics/avatar/script load the region has.

[1] http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Performance#CPU

On 28/04/14 15:47, Maxwell, Douglas wrote:

> Hi Austin,  the reason I recommend you configure multiple processors for MIAB is because of all the different processes running in the VM.  In addition to OpenSim, there is Apache, MySQL, etc...  The extra processors help balance load.
>
> The only time I've seen multiprocessor systems benefit OpenSim was with our DGS experiments.  Currently your best bet for performance enhancement with regular OpenSimulator is with vertical scaling (faster computer).  Hope this helps.
>
> Douglas Maxwell, MSME
> Science and Technology Manager
> Virtual World Strategic Applications
> U.S. Army Research Lab
> Simulation & Training Technology Center (STTC)
> (c) (407) 242-0209

OSVW Consulting