OpenSim binary install

cliveg
Hi

I have to install a clean copy of OpenSim 0.6.9 on a CentOS 5 server

Which installation option is best 1) Source or 2) Binary

Thanks very much

Clive

Re: OpenSim binary install

Chris Kennedy-2
Hi,
I have always personally built the OS releases from source my self on my
Linux system (using Ubuntu Karmic atm) and have not had problems with
running it. Not sure how that will fare with CentOS since I have never
used it personally, but just make sure you have the standard Linux
programming compilation packages and the latest mono.

On 5/18/2010 5:13 AM, Clive Gould wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have to install a clean copy of OpenSim 0.6.9 on a CentOS 5 server
>
> Which installation option is best 1) Source or 2) Binary
>
> Thanks very much
>
> Clive

Re: OpenSim binary install

Sean Hennessee
Clive,

I use CentOS 5 and always do a source build. There is a bit of setup
ahead of time with Mono and all, but once you get it figured out, it's
easy to duplicate. I haven't tried a binary install, but I suspect it
would work too.

Peace,
Sean

On 5/18/2010 3:13 AM, Clive Gould wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have to install a clean copy of OpenSim 0.6.9 on a CentOS 5 server
>
> Which installation option is best 1) Source or 2) Binary
>
> Thanks very much
>
> Clive

Sean Hennessee
Central Computing Support
Office of Information Technology
UC Irvine

... . .- -. /  .... . -. -. . ... ... . .

Re: OpenSim binary install

OpenSim binaries should always be fine.  In theory, compiling from source might result in more efficient bytecodes if you have a good compiler, but I would think that the effect would be very marginal.

Chris Kennedy wrote:

> Hi,
> I have always personally built the OS releases from source my self on my
> Linux system (using Ubuntu Karmic atm) and have not had problems with
> running it. Not sure how that will fare with CentOS since I have never
> used it personally, but just make sure you have the standard Linux
> programming compilation packages and the latest mono.
>
> On 5/18/2010 5:13 AM, Clive Gould wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I have to install a clean copy of OpenSim 0.6.9 on a CentOS 5 server
>>
>> Which installation option is best 1) Source or 2) Binary
>>
>> Thanks very much
>>
>> Clive

Re: OpenSim binary install

cliveg
Hi

Thanks for the responses :)

One further question, will a binary install of OpenSim work on both 32
and 64 bit versions of CentOS 5 Linux?

Thanks very much

Clive

Message: 8
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 00:21:16 +0100
From: Justin Clark-Casey <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] OpenSim binary install

Chris Kennedy wrote:

> Hi,
> I have always personally built the OS releases from source my self on my
> Linux system (using Ubuntu Karmic atm) and have not had problems with
> running it. Not sure how that will fare with CentOS since I have never
> used it personally, but just make sure you have the standard Linux
> programming compilation packages and the latest mono.
>
> On 5/18/2010 5:13 AM, Clive Gould wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I have to install a clean copy of OpenSim 0.6.9 on a CentOS 5 server
>>
>> Which installation option is best 1) Source or 2) Binary
>>
>> Thanks very much
>>
>> Clive

Upgrading to 6.9

Mespelt, Don
Following the instruction on the wiki, copying over my existing xml and ini files... I received some errors when attempting to run OpenSim.exe (UGAIM+R, the final server)  I ended up adding some sections in my OpenSim.ini file that were never in there before like:  assetserveruri, [inventoryservice], grid server uri... and added some others.  (what the heck is a presence server anyway?)
Anyway, I guess the wiki needed to be updated for the 6.9 upgrade or am I just out there?  6.8 worked with my original opensim.ini without adding these.  Now though people are appearing all grey with white hair and I am getting tons of [Appearance]:'Missing baked texture" for avatar 'name'.

Any help is appreciated and thanks!
- Don

Re: Upgrading to 6.9

Mespelt, Don
Sorry to bother people... it helps if you copy the gridcommon.ini
*sigh*

Re: OpenSim binary install

Chris Kennedy-2
If I recall correctly, yes. Use the OpenSim.32BitLaunch.exe for 64 bit
operating systems and OpenSim.exe for 32 bit operating systems. Though I
am not entirely sure on this so don't quote me on it lol. I have been
using OpenSim.exe for 32 bit Windows XP with no apparent problems.

http://www.adamfrisby.com/blog/2008/08/running-opensim-under-a-64-bit-environment/
this blog might give a bit more insight on it :)

Good Luck

On 5/19/2010 6:00 AM, Clive Gould wrote:

> Hi
>
> Thanks for the responses :)
>
> One further question, will a binary install of OpenSim work on both 32
> and 64 bit versions of CentOS 5 Linux?
>
> Thanks very much
>
> Clive
>
> Message: 8
> Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 00:21:16 +0100
> From: Justin Clark-Casey<[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] OpenSim binary install
>
> OpenSim binaries should always be fine.  In theory, compiling from
> source might result in more efficient bytecodes if you have a good
> compiler, but I would think that the effect would be very marginal.
>
> Chris Kennedy wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I have always personally built the OS releases from source my self on my
>> Linux system (using Ubuntu Karmic atm) and have not had problems with
>> running it. Not sure how that will fare with CentOS since I have never
>> used it personally, but just make sure you have the standard Linux
>> programming compilation packages and the latest mono.
>>
>> On 5/18/2010 5:13 AM, Clive Gould wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I have to install a clean copy of OpenSim 0.6.9 on a CentOS 5 server
>>>
>>> Which installation option is best 1) Source or 2) Binary
>>>
>>> Thanks very much
>>>
>>> Clive

Re: OpenSim binary install

justincc
Chris Kennedy wrote:
> If I recall correctly, yes. Use the OpenSim.32BitLaunch.exe for 64 bit
> operating systems and OpenSim.exe for 32 bit operating systems. Though I
> am not entirely sure on this so don't quote me on it lol. I have been
> using OpenSim.exe for 32 bit Windows XP with no apparent problems.

The OpenSim.32BitLaunch.exe is only required for 64 bit Windows system, and then only if you're using the ODE physics plugin (though that is the default).  64 bit Linux should be fine with OpenSim.exe

You should be able to use the all these executables with the OpenSim binary distribution on 32 and 64 bit systems.