OpenSim on ARM (QNAP NAS...) and a Vivox question

OpenSim on ARM (QNAP NAS...) and a Vivox question

MichaelSchlenker
Hi,

I'm trying to run OpenSimulator 0.9.1.1 on an ARM Cortex 57 based QNAP NAS (TS-332X).

Works nicely inside an LXC container with Debian Buster after some tinkering to compile Bullet Physics and the libopenjpeg stuff. I wonder if there is any interest in the necessary patches to the Makefiles of libmetaverse or Bullet?

The NAS offers a pre-configured Maria-DB out of the box, so that was a natural choice for storage.

Playing with it, i have a few questions:

What kind of performance should i expect from this setup? Is it sufficient to have a few AVIs around or is it grossly underpowered?
(4 cores, 1.7 GHz ARM, 16 GB DDR4 RAM, a bunch of SSD/HDD storage).

Is there any a bit more refined systemd Unit file for Debian Buster than the simple example offered on the opensimulator.org site?
I am especially concerned about locking down the service for security.

Is it still the best idea to run the console inside "screen" or is there some simple web based console available?
I saw this rest console thing, but how stable/useable is it?

What needs to be done to get Vivox Voice running?
I saw the configuration templates and a web form on https://opensim.vivox.com/opensim/ but it seems to not send out the confirmation link e-mail.
Is this still a thing or where should i look for voice support?

Thanks,
      Michael

Re: OpenSim on ARM (QNAP NAS...) and a Vivox question

Melanie Thielker
Hi,

the rest console works mostly, but it's buggy. I had it working perfectly but then other work broke it and my work to fix it had to be rolled back because it broke things like first time sim startup. Also, it needs an addtional port, which is a management headache.

That said, I will probably make another stab at fixing it, but that may well be an actual rewrite. The old concept used an escape sequence (+++) to indicate to the remote side that input is allowed again after processing the previous input, but other work broke it so that is no longer sent. That limits the console to one command per connection. The spotfix is clientside, simply a change to assume input is always allowed. That needs some user discipline, e.g. not typing if there is no visual cue that it's permitted, but makes it work. I'm hoping to find time for a better implementation.

Screen is an option for people who run low numbers of sims or a standalone, it's not suitable for grid operation as it makes sim startup a manual operation.

I run regions under Kubernetes these days.

- Melanie

---- On Wed, 06 May 2020 20:55:49 +0000  <[hidden email]> wrote ----

[...]

Mister Blue
There is a C# port of Bullet that has been used to run OpenSimulator on
Raspberry Pi's. In OpenSimDefaults.ini, change
[BulletSim]BulletEngine="bulletxna".

I've been looking to update BulletSim with a more recent version of Bullet
and to update the build system, so the cmake parameters to build Bullet and
BulletSim for ARM would be something to incorporate. Either file a Mantis
entry or send me email.

-- misterblue