OpenSim on Linux Installation Questions

cliveg
Hi

I've written an install blog for OpenSim under CentOS 5.3, but there
are a couple of questions that have been troubling me. I got my
original installation instructions from a variety of sources and am
starting to wonder if all the steps I have followed are absolutely
necessary. Apologies for asking some fairly basic questions, but I'd
like to make the blog as useful as possible to others.

1) Is it necessary to install mono base as the root user and then
install mono as the opensim user? I can understand the need for the
opensim user installation of mono but am not quite sure if the root
install of mono base as root is necessary as well.

2) In the instructions I came across git was also installed.
Presumably git is only needed if you're fetching the pre-release
versions of OpenSim and not if you're downloading a full .tar.gz
release?

If you've got the time you can read the blog (which also includes
instructions on installing Diva's megaregion version) at:

http://www.linuxtraining.org.uk/blogger4.html

Any advice very much appreciated.

Thanks

Clive

Re: OpenSim on Linux Installation Questions

John Ward-2
On 10/06/2009 10:08 PM, clive gould wrote:
> 1) Is it necessary to install mono base as the root user and then
> install mono as the opensim user? I can understand the need for the
> opensim user installation of mono but am not quite sure if the root
> install of mono base as root is necessary as well.

The way you install things in your blog you need to do it as root.
However it is not a general requirement for mono.  It's important that
Opensim run the desired version of mono.  For our RHEL servers we were
doing local to opensim installs of desired mono versions.  That can
avoid conflicts with the system package management.   The Opensim users
path needs to be configured to run the local mono.

> 2) In the instructions I came across git was also installed.
> Presumably git is only needed if you're fetching the pre-release
> versions of OpenSim and not if you're downloading a full .tar.gz
> release?

Correct.  You only need git if you manage the source content that way.
Getting the tar archives should not require git.

I expect that more and more you will see Opensim users using
distributions like Diva's instead of the direct sources.

John./JohnnyB Hammerer

Re: OpenSim on Linux Installation Questions

Karen_Palen
FWIW, the default Ubuntu Jaunty (9.04) mono is 2.01 which will NOT work!

You need to find and install the latest version of mono!

I THINK Ubuntu Karmic (9.10) uses the latest mono (2.4?), but I screwed up my test drive and have not had a chance to run Ubuntu 9.01 beta with Opensim yet!.

DO NOT EVER turn off the power during a partition copy NEVER! NEVER!!! - ask me how I know. :-(

More news at 11 or whenever I get things playing nice together again ...

Karen

> > 1) Is it necessary to install mono base as the root
> user and then
> > install mono as the opensim user? I can understand the
> need for the
> > opensim user installation of mono but am not quite
> sure if the root
> > install of mono base as root is necessary as well.
>
> The way you install things in your blog you need to do it
> as root.
> However it is not a general requirement for mono.
> It's important that
> Opensim run the desired version of mono.  For our RHEL
> servers we were
> doing local to opensim installs of desired mono
> versions.  That can
> avoid conflicts with the system package
> management.   The Opensim users
> path needs to be configured to run the local mono.
>
> > 2) In the instructions I came across git was also
> installed.
> > Presumably git is only needed if you're fetching the
> pre-release
> > versions of OpenSim and not if you're downloading a
> full .tar.gz
> > release?
>
> Correct.  You only need git if you manage the source
> content that way.
> Getting the tar archives should not require git.
>
> I expect that more and more you will see Opensim users
> using
> distributions like Diva's instead of the direct sources.
>
> John./JohnnyB Hammerer

Re: OpenSim on Linux Installation Questions

William Magee
The Diva distribution works fine with mono 2.01. I have two Ubuntu
9.04 machines running Diva and mono 2.01.

Karmic comes with 2.4 by default, I am told.

Cheers,
Bill

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 2:40 PM, Karen Palen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> FWIW, the default Ubuntu Jaunty (9.04) mono is 2.01 which will NOT work!
>
> You need to find and install the latest version of mono!
>
> I THINK Ubuntu Karmic (9.10) uses the latest mono (2.4?), but I screwed up my test drive and have not had a chance to run Ubuntu 9.01 beta with Opensim yet!.
>
> DO NOT EVER turn off the power during a partition copy NEVER! NEVER!!! - ask me how I know. :-(
>
> More news at 11 or whenever I get things playing nice together again ...
>
> Karen

William Magee, Ph.D.
Tibetan Section
Dharma Drum Buddhist College
Jinshan, Taiwan
http://magee.ddbc.edu.tw

Re: OpenSim on Linux Installation Questions

Karen_Palen
I hope to find out for sure and try it in the next couple of days - provided I don't screw things up yet again.

I am SO glad it was just a "try things out" machine LOL"

That is what comes of having 3 versions of Linux and 2 Windows versions all in a multi-boot situation and separate HDDs. ONE of them being PATA and two SATA drives. Even *I* gor confused about which was which :-(

> 9.04 machines running Diva and mono 2.01.
>
> Karmic comes with 2.4 by default, I am told.
>
> Cheers,
> Bill
>

> On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 2:40 PM, Karen Palen <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > FWIW, the default Ubuntu Jaunty (9.04) mono is 2.01
> which will NOT work!
> >
> > You need to find and install the latest version of
> mono!
> >
> > I THINK Ubuntu Karmic (9.10) uses the latest mono
> (2.4?), but I screwed up my test drive and have not had a
> chance to run Ubuntu 9.01 beta with Opensim yet!.
> >
> > DO NOT EVER turn off the power during a partition copy
> NEVER! NEVER!!! - ask me how I know. :-(
> >
> > More news at 11 or whenever I get things playing nice
> together again ...
> >
> > Karen
> >
> > --- On Wed, 10/7/09, John Ward <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> From: John Ward <[hidden email]>
> >> Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] OpenSim on Linux
> Installation Questions
> >> To: [hidden email],
> [hidden email]
> >> Date: Wednesday, October 7, 2009, 11:21 AM
> the root
> >> user and then
> understand the
> >> need for the
> quite
> >> sure if the root
> well.
> >>
> >> The way you install things in your blog you need
> to do it
> >> as root.
> >> However it is not a general requirement for mono.
> >> It's important that
> >> Opensim run the desired version of mono.  For our
> RHEL
> >> servers we were
> >> doing local to opensim installs of desired mono
> >> versions.  That can
> >> avoid conflicts with the system package
> >> management.   The Opensim users
> >> path needs to be configured to run the local
> mono.

> also
> >> installed.
> fetching the
> >> pre-release
> downloading a
> >> full .tar.gz
> >>
> >> Correct.  You only need git if you manage the
> source
> >> content that way.
> >> Getting the tar archives should not require git.
> >>
> >> I expect that more and more you will see Opensim
> users
> >> using
> >> distributions like Diva's instead of the direct
> sources.
> >>
> >> John./JohnnyB Hammerer

> William Magee, Ph.D.
> Tibetan Section
> Dharma Drum Buddhist College
> Jinshan, Taiwan
> http://magee.ddbc.edu.tw

Re: OpenSim on Linux Installation Questions

Dr Scofield
William Magee wrote:
The Diva distribution works fine with mono 2.01. I have two Ubuntu
9.04 machines running Diva and mono 2.01.

Karmic comes with 2.4 by default, I am told.

mono 2.0.1 is quite stable, however, if you are at all concerned about resource use, you need to go the mono 2.4.2+ route.

    DrS/dirk

dr dirk husemann ---- math & computer science ---- ibm zurich research lab
RL: [hidden email] - +41 44 724 8573 - http://www.zurich.ibm.com/~hud/
SL: [hidden email] --------------------- http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/

Re: OpenSim on Linux Installation Questions

William Magee
Can you elaborate on this, please DrS?