OpenSim or Diva?

Jawa Lunk
I have diva running on my server right now, but I noticed that OpenSim seems to have updated, and Diva has not...

2 part question here...

Is it better to run Diva or OpenSim?

and if I switch to OpenSim, can I simply use the same database I used with Diva without a problem??

Re: OpenSim or Diva?

Diva Canto
The latest Diva distro is the latest official OpenSim release, 0.6.9.

Diva distro releases will always follow OpenSim official stable
releases, more or less. If you want to run on the bleeding edge, diva
distro is not for you.

Gmail Account wrote:

> I have diva running on my server right now, but I noticed that OpenSim
> seems to have updated, and Diva has not...
>
> 2 part question here...
>
> Is it better to run Diva or OpenSim?
>
> and if I switch to OpenSim, can I simply use the same database I used
> with Diva without a problem??

Re: OpenSim or Diva?

Karen Palen
Which one is "better" depends on what you want to do!

My suggestion is to START with the Diva distro since it is so easy to set up, then migrate to something more sophisticated if you need/want to.

Diva has set up her distro to be a very simple preconfigured standalone "grid" with some very useful options (e.g. hypergrid and mega-regions) enabled.

If that is what you want then her distro will be the easiest way to get started. If you want something more complicated like a multi-user grid running on several machines then you need the regular OpenSIm release. Likewise as Diva points out if you want the unstable development versions you also need another release.

Personally I have used the diva distros since Diva started releasing them even though I ALSO run other "grids" using the regular OpenSim software. There is no interference even on the same hardware provided you don't try to run both at once! :-)

I also suggest enabling and using the optional MySql database!

I DO run separate copies of the MySql database for each version even though they all use the same MySql server on the same machine.

The underlying software, config files, and databases are the same (depending on the underlying OpenSIm release).

You can certainly use the same database for both, however it is wise to use a backup copy just in case there is some problem. Databases can be very hard to rebuild!

There are numerous tools for database maintenance, MySql provides a very complete set of tools all the way up to a fully "paid for" professional support!

For Ubuntu/Linux I suggest MySql Administrator and MySql Query Browser (all installable though the Synaptic Package Manager and/or Ubuntu Software Center).

ALL current OpenSim releases allow each regions data to be saved/restored via an OAR file, and each users inventory to be saved/restored via an IAR file. This is somewhat tedious since it must be done for each region and each user individually.

At present (V0.6.9) there are some minor database maintenance issues that are most easily solved by dumping everything to IAR/OAR files and rebuilding the database - this should not be needed for a year or more of normal use.

In practice I have found it worthwhile to dump/restore everything to/from IAR/OAR files each time I upgrade the OpenSIm software if only to be certain that I have good and complete database backups!

I hope this helps!

Karen