OpenSimulator 0.7.6.1 and 0.7.5.1 now available

OpenSimulator 0.7.6.1 and 0.7.5.1 now available

justincc
Hi folks.  As previously discussed [1], OpenSimulator 0.7.6.1 is now available with release notes at [2].

This is a minor point release which contains only a few bug fix changes.  The chief of these (and the reason for making
this release) is one which fixes exceptions and appearance failures if an avatar teleports from a simulator running
current development code to one running OpenSimulator 0.7.6.

As such, you don't need to update unless you may receive users from such simulators via Hypergrid or if you are on an
open grid (such as OSGrid).  For more details, please see [1].  That said, there is a fix for a memory leak on maptile
generation with the default generators which might be useful.

Because there are few changes, it will be possible to copy over existing config files from 0.7.6.  But as always, please
backup your database before performing any updates.

The same appearance fix has also been applied to 0.7.5.1, which is a similar minor bug fix release on to of 0.7.5.
Release notes for that are at [3].  As yet, there are no plans to go back and patch older releases since it's better to
spend that time fixing current code.

[1] http://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/opensim-users/2014-January/013087.html
[2] http://opensimulator.org/wiki/0.7.6.1_Release
[3] http://opensimulator.org/wiki/0.7.5.1_Release

Best,

OSVW Consulting

Re: OpenSimulator 0.7.6.1 and 0.7.5.1 now available

hack13
Thanks for the update everyone! Keep up the good work!

On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 5:53 PM, Justin Clark-Casey
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi folks.  As previously discussed [1], OpenSimulator 0.7.6.1 is now
> available with release notes at [2].
>
> This is a minor point release which contains only a few bug fix changes.
> The chief of these (and the reason for making this release) is one which
> fixes exceptions and appearance failures if an avatar teleports from a
> simulator running current development code to one running OpenSimulator
> 0.7.6.
>
> As such, you don't need to update unless you may receive users from such
> simulators via Hypergrid or if you are on an open grid (such as OSGrid).
> For more details, please see [1].  That said, there is a fix for a memory
> leak on maptile generation with the default generators which might be
> useful.
>
> Because there are few changes, it will be possible to copy over existing
> config files from 0.7.6.  But as always, please backup your database before
> performing any updates.
>
> The same appearance fix has also been applied to 0.7.5.1, which is a similar
> minor bug fix release on to of 0.7.5. Release notes for that are at [3].  As
> yet, there are no plans to go back and patch older releases since it's
> better to spend that time fixing current code.
>
> [1] http://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/opensim-users/2014-January/013087.html
> [2] http://opensimulator.org/wiki/0.7.6.1_Release
> [3] http://opensimulator.org/wiki/0.7.5.1_Release
>
> Best,
>
> --
> Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
> OSVW Consulting
> http://justincc.org
> http://twitter.com/justincc

Re: OpenSimulator 0.7.6.1 and 0.7.5.1 now available

ssm2017
hello
thank you for thinking about people using releases :)

2014-02-01 Justin Clark-Casey <[hidden email]>:
[...]

I think it might be due to the fact, a large code change happened, and
many grids only upgrade every other release. So this allows those
grids running the prior to get the security patches submitted.

>>> http://twitter.com/justincc

Re: OpenSimulator 0.7.6.1 and 0.7.5.1 now available

justincc
I did 0.7.5.1 as well as 0.7.6.1 because I know there are various people who haven't updated to 0.7.6.

Of course, there are also people on older versions of OpenSimulator.  But updating more versions takes more time, which
takes time away from fixing current problems.  Unfortunately, people on older versions have to upgrade.

Also, just to make it clear that this is not a security fix release.  If you're using 0.7.6, 0.7.5 or older
OpenSimulator with no possibility of getting teleports from simulators running current dev code (i.e. you don't have
Hypergrid enabled and are not attached to an open grid) then you don't need the appearance fix that these releases
contain.  That said, 0.7.6.1 also contains a memory leak fix for default maptile generation which I've heard does have a
significant impact when many simulators/regions are run over long periods.

On 01/02/14 15:26, Timothy Rogers wrote:

> I think it might be due to the fact, a large code change happened, and
> many grids only upgrade every other release. So this allows those
> grids running the prior to get the security patches submitted.
>
> On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 8:19 AM, Sarge Misfit
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Why two versions?
>>

>> On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 5:03 PM, ssm2017 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> hello
>>> thank you for thinking about people using releases :)

> .

OSVW Consulting