OpenSimulator / Google Maps 3D for city scaping projects

OpenSimulator / Google Maps 3D for city scaping projects

roland.francis
I have a few questions about OpenSimulator use cases for landscaping /
architecture:

1. I recall but cannot find a URL of OpenSimulator being used in a
city-scaping context when I was at an OpenSimulator conference in Dec. 2016
or 2017.  I would cheer if someone could point me in the right direction to
the company that did this presentation.

2. Is there any recent information to be found using OpenSimulator
being used with Google Maps 3D that is actually in use?

3. Do you know of alternative use cases with other 3D
interfaces/software being deployed in landscaping / architecture  ?

I'd love reading up on your suggestions/recommendations.

Roland Francis ([hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> )

Re: OpenSimulator / Google Maps 3D for city scaping projects

Toni Alatalo-2
Maybe you refer to Diva's work with traffic simulations and other city
planning efforts? They used Opensimulator for it indeed. That's Christa
Lopez of University of California, Irvine, fame. She collaborated with some
Swedes and they had early cases in Uppsala, but something in California too
I think.

She talked about it at OSCC'13 at least, "OSCC13 - Distributed Traffic
Simulation in OpenSimulator - Crista Lopes",
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENJ3hZBsy0s

Her Swedish collaborator from some years back has a company there,
https://4dialog.com/ . I think they used Opensimulator early on, I talked
with them some 4-5 years ago maybe, got also access to their IIRC opensim
based service then, where they had various areas of Stockholm divided into
areas that different companies were responsible for -- Opensim's permission
/ parcel etc. mechanisms were useful for that. I don't recall if they have
switched to Unity later.

Their early article:
Virtual Cities in Urban Planning: The Uppsala Case Study
Cristina Videira Lopes and Christer Lindstrom
https://scielo.conicyt.cl/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0718-18762012000300009

I don't know if someone else was there in 2016, haven't participated myself
recently. Maybe next time :)

Apart from that, we have also worked a lot with city planning and other
built environment development efforts here at Playsign. With the idea of
using game engine based 3D apps with different tools in different stages of
development, and for different user groups. We focus on participation, or
better co-design, with the general public and non-professional
stakeholders, and communicating to decision makers, who usually are not
professionals regarding built environment or construction.

We have a few such virtual city models public at http://www.playsign.net/
- some 3-4 more now in the pipeline, coming out there soon, in a week or
two.

An article from 3 years ago that describes quite a lot of what we have
done, with Unity:
Alatalo, T., Pouke, M., Koskela, T., Hurskainen, T., Florea, C., & Ojala,
T. (2017). *Two Real-world Case Studies on 3D Web Applications for
Participatory Urban Planning*. *Proc. Proceedings of the 22nd International
Conference on 3D Web Technology*, Brisbane, Australia (Web3D ’17), New
York, NY, USA, 1-9. http://ubicomp.oulu.fi/files/ic3Dwt_2017.pdf

After that work, we've added the Playsign Live part, for use time of
buildings .. where we integrate live sensor / IoT data, and user feedback,
to 3D views of buildings. Earlier we supported the various planning and
design phases only, as described in that article.

-Toni

On Tue, Feb 4, 2020 at 2:48 AM <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have a few questions about OpenSimulator use cases for landscaping /
> architecture:
>

> 1.      I recall but cannot find a URL of OpenSimulator being used in a
> city-scaping context when I was at an OpenSimulator conference in Dec. 2016
> or 2017.  I would cheer if someone could point me in the right direction to
> the company that did this presentation.
>

> 2.      Is there any recent information to be found using OpenSimulator
> being used with Google Maps 3D that is actually in use?
>

> 3.      Do you know of alternative use cases with other 3D
> interfaces/software being deployed in landscaping / architecture  ?
>

> I'd love reading up on your suggestions/recommendations.
>

> Roland Francis ([hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> )

Re: OpenSimulator / Google Maps 3D for city scaping projects

roland.francis
TYVM for these references, Toni.

Roland