OpenSimulator event recording module

justincc
Hi folks.  I just thought that I would post about an event recording module [1] that I recently wrote as part of some
recent work with the Air Force Research Laboratory/Wright Brothers Institute Discovery Lab [2].

This works at the simulator level and can record user logins, logouts, region entrance, chat and IM to either the
OpenSim log or a MySQL database for later analysis.  It's a bit panopticon, but in the past people have asked for this
kind of functionality for various reasons (e.g. to know who has been on the grid, to study communications in
training/game scenarios as part of research projects, etc.).

It's OpenSimulator 0.8 and onwards only since that allowed me to use some handy .NET 4 structures to make sure that
event recording doesn't adverse impact other parts of the simulator.  Also, it currently needs to be compiled from source

[1] https://github.com/justincc/EventRecordingModule
[2] http://wbi-icc.com/centers-services/discovery-lab

OSVW Consulting

Re: OpenSimulator event recording module

Dahlia Trimble
Personally I'm not a big fan of tapping into user's instant messages. I'd hope that those considering using such a module would respect their users' expectation of privacy. However if you do choose to use such a module, it may be beneficial to make sure you will be operating within any wiretapping laws that may apply before doing so.

I'm hopeful that OpenSimulator can flourish as a platform where users' rights are respected.

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 4:39 PM, Justin Clark-Casey <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Robert L martin
it would be "polite" to have something on the grid to signal that this
recording is being done (maybe a "news truck" or similar??).  very
useful tool for events to get a transcript.

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 9:18 AM, Sarge Misfit
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I hope that anyone collecting data for analysis does so with the full and
> open disclosure that such a thing is being done. If they don't engage in
> such disclosure, they risk a terrible backlash once discovered.
>

> On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 9:58 PM, Marcus Llewellyn
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> It occurred to me that for those who just want to collect data for
>> analysis, some way to anonymize what's recorded could be beneficial. If
>> OpenSim makes use of a session ID or something, that could be used in place
>> of user names, perhaps.
>>
>> On Jul 9, 2014 11:48 PM, "Dahlia Trimble" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Personally I'm not a big fan of tapping into user's instant messages. I'd
>>> hope that those considering using such a module would respect their users'
>>> expectation of privacy. However if you do choose to use such a module, it
>>> may be beneficial to make sure you will be operating within any wiretapping
>>> laws that may apply before doing so.
>>>
>>> I'm hopeful that OpenSimulator can flourish as a platform where users'
>>> rights are respected.

Robert L Martin

Re: OpenSimulator event recording module

steeno
If one were to copy an existing grid and rename it, how would they rename the grid name in the Event Recording Module?