Opensim 0.6.6 release standalone hangs at 'Waiting for region handshake' (LoginPacketNeverReceived) on other intranet computers

Opensim 0.6.6 release standalone hangs at 'Waiting for region handshake' (LoginPacketNeverReceived) on other intranet computers

Kevin Buckley

I’m trying to get a ‘vanilla’ instance of OS-0.6.6 running ‘standalone’ on my PC so that I can log-in to it from outside (I have a  pseudo-Static Domain: i.e. a Dynamic Domain Name from the ISP and a service from ‘deerfield.com’ called ‘DNS2Go’ that tracks it – has worked just fine with various packages for years).  Ultimately I would like to get opensim running as a standalone-hypergrid implementation – but just standalone seemed a good first step.  I planned to test it: viewer on same PC as opensim, viewer on different PC but within the firewall and finally: remote access using my Static Domain.

After a few false starts, I built the release on one of my PC’s (Windows XP SP2) using Port 9100 (Port 9000 is used already by my streaming music system).  It works just fine if I use either the 2L viewer (v1.23.4 - 123908) or Hippo viewer, running on the same machine as opensim.

However, if I run the viewer on different machines within my firewall (I have 2 others: Windows XP, also SP2 plus a Vista laptop – both tower PC’s are high performance Pentium-4’s with high-end NVIDIA graphics cards btw) it finds my opensim OK (can see the modified welcome message during login) but hangs at 'Waiting for region handshake'.  Then I get the ‘may have network issues message’ and stops.

I also got a friend to try to login from far away (outside the firewall) with the same failure at 'Waiting for region handshake'.  I am about 50h into this now and have run out of ideas (and hair).  I have seen in various forums that a number of people have (are) also experienced this problem – but so far I have never seen a posted solution.

So far I have done the following things (and they have made no difference – behaviour is exactly the same):

- Tried different Ports: 9100, 9200, 9217 and even 9000 by shutting down my music server (changing the port addresses in ‘Regions.ini’ and ‘opensim.ini’)

- Tried ‘runprebuild’ (‘compile’ runs with no errors) and ‘runprebuild2008’ (path error for .NETFramework – I have v3.5 btw)

- Tried ‘0.0.0.0’, ‘127.0.0.1’, ‘192.168.10.100’ (the server PC internal address) as ‘InternalAddress’ inside ‘Regions.ini’

- Tried ‘SYSTEMIP’ and ‘192.168.10.100’ as ‘ExternalHostName’ inside ‘Regions.ini’

- Tried ‘127.0.0.1’, ‘192.168.10.100’ and even my external domain name in the various places in ‘opensim.ini’

- Tried running the ‘/bin’ application on a different PC on the intranet (so then the viewers work OK on that PC but not now on the original server PC)

- Tried ‘AllowAlternatePorts’ as both True and False

- I have inserted the ‘AV rezzes as cloud’ patch and rebuilt (that fixed THAT issue!)

- I have totally rebuilt from scratch many times

- I have rebooted all the PC’s at various times

- Tried router firewall off and on (not that it should matter – router is Belkin F5D8635-4v1 btw)

- Tried Windows firewalls off and on

- Searched high and low on the internet (generally and within the opensim forums)

All to no avail.

All I have changed in ‘opensim.ini’ (and ‘Regions.ini’) are the Port and Internet related addresses.  The only other thing I changed was somewhere I had to uncomment a line to say which version of cache to use.  Everything is ‘out of the box’ (I did, of course, copy the ‘.ini.examples’ and convert them to ‘.ini’s as appropriate).

Has anyone had this issue and actually fixed it?  How?

Any help really appreciated.  I’m a professional programmer by the way – but I wasn’t intending to have to start diving into the opensim source to fix this!

Kevin

Re: Opensim 0.6.6 release standalone hangs at 'Waiting for region handshake' (LoginPacketNeverReceived) on other intranet computers

Paul Fishwick
Have you logged into your Belkin router and set up your router to forward
any traffic on the port you are using (9000 for instance) to the machine
where opensim is running (behind your router) ?
-p

Kevin Buckley wrote:

> [...]
>
> - I have rebooted all the PC’s at various times
>
> - Tried router firewall off and on (not that it should matter – router
> is Belkin F5D8635-4v1 btw)
>
> - Tried Windows firewalls off and on
>
> - Searched high and low on the internet (generally and within the
> opensim forums)
>
> All to no avail.
>
> All I have changed in ‘opensim.ini’ (and ‘Regions.ini’) are the Port
> and Internet related addresses. The only other thing I changed was
> somewhere I had to uncomment a line to say which version of cache to
> use. Everything is ‘out of the box’ (I did, of course, copy the
> ‘.ini.examples’ and convert them to ‘.ini’s as appropriate).
>
> Has anyone had this issue and actually fixed it? How?
>
> Any help really appreciated. I’m a professional programmer by the way
> – but I wasn’t intending to have to start diving into the opensim

Dr. Paul A. Fishwick           E-Mail: [hidden email]
Dept. of Computer & Info       Phone & FAX: (352) 392-1414
 Science and Engineering       WWW: http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~fishwick
University of Florida          (PGP Key available at above WWW address)
P. O. Box 116120
332 Bldg. CSE, Gainesville, FL 32611-6120

Re: Opensim 0.6.6 release standalone hangs at 'Waiting for region handshake' (LoginPacketNeverReceived) on other intranet computers

Kevin Buckley
Yes.  And that works - because when my friend tried to login (from far away
- outside the router firewall) I could see that activity on the opensim
window and it got to the region handshake point (actually opensim says
logged-in).  That shouldn't affect this problem though I think - all the
PC's I am using are behind the router (and being explicitly addressed using
internal addresses (192.168.10.x).  Do you have 0.6.6 running OK in
standalone?  Thanks - Kevin

Kevin Buckley wrote:

> [...]
> use. Everything is 'out of the box' (I did, of course, copy the
> '.ini.examples' and convert them to '.ini's as appropriate).
>
> Has anyone had this issue and actually fixed it? How?
>
> Any help really appreciated. I'm a professional programmer by the way
> - but I wasn't intending to have to start diving into the opensim
> source to fix this!
>
> Kevin

Dr. Paul A. Fishwick           E-Mail: [hidden email]
Dept. of Computer & Info       Phone & FAX: (352) 392-1414
 Science and Engineering       WWW: http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~fishwick
University of Florida          (PGP Key available at above WWW address)
P. O. Box 116120
332 Bldg. CSE, Gainesville, FL 32611-6120

Re: Opensim 0.6.6 release standalone hangs at 'Waiting for region handshake' (LoginPacketNeverReceived) on other intranet computers

I usually run the bleeding edge version in fresh directories (to keep a
trail
of implementations). This is mainly because of fairly recent changes that
do well with 64-bit Ubuntu. Not sure if this will help, but I have found
port
scanners to be useful during testing:
http://www.t1shopper.com/tools/port-scanner/
However, if you cannot connect even behind your firewall....not sure...
-p

Kevin Buckley wrote:

> Yes.  And that works - because when my friend tried to login (from far away
> - outside the router firewall) I could see that activity on the opensim
> window and it got to the region handshake point (actually opensim says
> logged-in).  That shouldn't affect this problem though I think - all the
> PC's I am using are behind the router (and being explicitly addressed using
> internal addresses (192.168.10.x).  Do you have 0.6.6 running OK in
> standalone?  Thanks - Kevin

I have considered getting the bleeding-edge version, lol.  But I wanted to
start with something stable (...).  Thanks for the suggestion though - but I
DID check my ports with a port scanner.  I'm pretty sure a blocked port
isn't the problem though.  It's weird that it works perfectly if opensim and
the viewer are on the same machine - after all, they STILL talk to each
other via the same network protocols - they just didn't go through a LAN
card and the lower layers is all.  And there's a LOT of interaction before
they get to the region handshake point - so network protocols in general
seem to be just fine.  I was wondering if there is anything tangibly
different about the 'loginpacket' like maybe it goes to an undocumented port
or something which isn't covered in the '.ini' files.  I also have a port
logger - and nothing looks untoward in that either - but it's kinda hard to
analyse unless you know the protocols!

I haven't yet tried just connecting my machines to each other with the
dumbest of routers, rather than going via the Belkin, to see if that makes a
difference.  Cheers, Kevin

Kevin Buckley wrote:
> Yes.  And that works - because when my friend tried to login (from far
away
> - outside the router firewall) I could see that activity on the opensim
> window and it got to the region handshake point (actually opensim says
> logged-in).  That shouldn't affect this problem though I think - all the
> PC's I am using are behind the router (and being explicitly addressed
using

> internal addresses (192.168.10.x).  Do you have 0.6.6 running OK in
> standalone?  Thanks - Kevin

Marc Adored
Have you tried using the actual ip address instead of the dns? Maybe
just maybe there is some reversal issues with the handshake. It seems
like its sending a request for a handshake but maybe sending the wrong
information about where to make the handshake. I had the same issue
when I had used 127.0.0.1 and tried to connect with a remote machine.
That's what makes me think maybe its a reversal issue. Not sure how
possible it is for 1 part of a program to have issues reversing a
domain but not the other but its worth a shot I think.

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 4:12 PM, Kevin Buckley
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have considered getting the bleeding-edge version, lol.  But I wanted to
> start with something stable (...).  Thanks for the suggestion though - but I
> DID check my ports with a port scanner.  I'm pretty sure a blocked port
> isn't the problem though.  It's weird that it works perfectly if opensim and
> the viewer are on the same machine - after all, they STILL talk to each
> other via the same network protocols - they just didn't go through a LAN
> card and the lower layers is all.  And there's a LOT of interaction before
> they get to the region handshake point - so network protocols in general
> seem to be just fine.  I was wondering if there is anything tangibly
> different about the 'loginpacket' like maybe it goes to an undocumented port
> or something which isn't covered in the '.ini' files.  I also have a port
> logger - and nothing looks untoward in that either - but it's kinda hard to
> analyse unless you know the protocols!
>
> I haven't yet tried just connecting my machines to each other with the
> dumbest of routers, rather than going via the Belkin, to see if that makes a
> difference.  Cheers, Kevin

Yes - I have tried using the actual IP address for ExternalHostName.  When I
do that it makes no difference to the other PC's but the viewer running on
the opensim server also now fails at the region handshake.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have considered getting the bleeding-edge version, lol.  But I wanted to
> start with something stable (...).  Thanks for the suggestion though - but
> DID check my ports with a port scanner.  I'm pretty sure a blocked port
> isn't the problem though.  It's weird that it works perfectly if opensim
and
> the viewer are on the same machine - after all, they STILL talk to each
> other via the same network protocols - they just didn't go through a LAN
> card and the lower layers is all.  And there's a LOT of interaction before
> they get to the region handshake point - so network protocols in general
> seem to be just fine.  I was wondering if there is anything tangibly
> different about the 'loginpacket' like maybe it goes to an undocumented
port
> or something which isn't covered in the '.ini' files.  I also have a port
> logger - and nothing looks untoward in that either - but it's kinda hard
> analyse unless you know the protocols!
>
> I haven't yet tried just connecting my machines to each other with the
> dumbest of routers, rather than going via the Belkin, to see if that makes
> difference.  Cheers, Kevin

Robert Klein
Hey Kevin,

This actually happened to me recently when I tried using an OpenSim.ini and Regions files from version 0.6.2 with the latest stable release. I had to re-edit the OpenSim.ini file and I believe making sure InternalIP is set to 0.0.0.0 in the Regions.ini file too. I wish I could remember exactly what I did but when you are reeling late at night from screwing up an install and in reactive mode everything becomes a blur. :)

-Robert

Kevin Buckley wrote

<kevin@buckley70.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> I have considered getting the bleeding-edge version, lol.  But I wanted to
> start with something stable (...).  Thanks for the suggestion though - but
> DID check my ports with a port scanner.  I'm pretty sure a blocked port
> isn't the problem though.  It's weird that it works perfectly if opensim
and
> the viewer are on the same machine - after all, they STILL talk to each
> other via the same network protocols - they just didn't go through a LAN
> card and the lower layers is all.  And there's a LOT of interaction before
> they get to the region handshake point - so network protocols in general
> seem to be just fine.  I was wondering if there is anything tangibly
> different about the 'loginpacket' like maybe it goes to an undocumented
port
> or something which isn't covered in the '.ini' files.  I also have a port
> logger - and nothing looks untoward in that either - but it's kinda hard
> analyse unless you know the protocols!
>
> I haven't yet tried just connecting my machines to each other with the
> dumbest of routers, rather than going via the Belkin, to see if that makes
> difference.  Cheers, Kevin

Richard Taft
I had this with a New install of 0.6.6 on a Fedora 11 server.  This is what I did.

Set internal address to the internal address of the opensim server
set external to the outside address of your modem
open ports 9000 to 9020 on the router firewall
forward ports 9000 to 9020 from the router to the internal IP address of the OpenSim Server
open ports 9000 to 9020 on the servers firewall.
Update the IPTables with the Following Commands

Unix
iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT --dst EXTERNAL_IP -p tcp --dport 9000:9010 -j DNAT --to-destination INTERNAL_IP
iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT --dst EXTERNAL_IP -p udp --dport 9000:9010 -j DNAT --to-destination INTERNAL_IP
service iptables restart

Windows:

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING --dst EXTERNAL_IP -p tcp --dport 9000:9010 -j DNAT --to-destination INTERNAL_IP

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING --dst EXTERNAL_IP -p udp --dport 9000:9010 -j DNAT --to-destination INTERNAL_IP

Configure your client to use the External IP address.  All of this came after digging through multiple pages in the Wiki. Took me a couple of late nights to piece what was right and what was incorrect from the Wiki.  But this all seemed to work.

Rich

Can you confirm whether “set external to the outside address of your modem” and “Configure your client to use the External IP address” means like ‘111.222.333.444’ or like ‘www.mydomain.com’? – Thanks, Kevin

Kevin Buckley wrote:

> Yes - I have tried using the actual IP address for ExternalHostName.  When
> do that it makes no difference to the other PC's but the viewer running on
> the opensim server also now fails at the region handshake.

I would Use IP addresses..  Saves your sever the Step of having to resolve them, since they Rarely change.

Kevin Buckley wrote:

> Yes - I have tried using the actual IP address for ExternalHostName.  When
> do that it makes no difference to the other PC's but the viewer running on
> the opensim server also now fails at the region handshake.

So this is where I am at (opensim 0.6.6 working externally, but not accessible on my internal LAN).

Many thanks to Clive Gould for getting me this far! (and I’m making this as detailed as I can to help anyone else stuck on this!)

For a ‘standalone’ implementation, V0.0.6 ‘Regions.ini’ in (/bin/Regions)needs to look like this:

[Test Island]

RegionUUID = 37d57d73-ff97-482f-84ab-4f1f132a4092

Location = 1000,1000

InternalAddress = 0.0.0.0

InternalPort = 9100

AllowAlternatePorts = False

ExternalHostName = 11.22.33.44

MasterAvatarFirstName =

MasterAvatarLastName =

MasterAvatarSandboxPassword =

Running opensim the first time may enter most of the information – but some of it is not correct, so you need to edit it.

(Note: The wiki’s talk extensively about files in ‘/bin/Regions’ called ‘default.xml’.  This is no longer the case and this file is replaced by ‘Regions.ini’ I believe.)

The ‘ExternalHostName’ is your numeric external IP address (11.22.33.44 is just example which I’ll use again later).  I don’t believe using a FQDN like ‘www.mydomain.co.uk’ will work here (unfortunately).

I have changed the InternalPort from 9000 to 9100 because I already have something on Port 9000.

In the router I have forwarded port 9100 to IP address 192.168.10.100 (internal IP address of my opensim server PC) for both TCP and UDP packets.

Externally, my ISP provides a Dynamic IP Address.  I have a dynamic DNS service (like dynDNS) which constantly ensures ‘www.mydomain.co.uk’ points at my current external IP address (’11.22.33.44’).

So – in the 2L viewer shortcut I use: "C:\Program Files\SecondLife\SecondLife.exe"  -loginuri http://www.mydomain.co.uk:9100

This works fine for a viewer outside the firewall …

However – this raises 2 problems.

Problem-1:  Whenever my ISP changes my IP address (about once a week) I have to manually edit ‘ExternalHostName’ in my ‘Regions.ini’ file and restart opensim!

Problem2:  I cannot access opensim from inside the firewall (PC’s running Windows XP).  Even though I have edited the ‘hosts’ file (in c:Windows/system32/drivers/etc) to forward ‘www.mydomain.co.uk’ to 192.168.10.100 – so the viewer can ‘see’ opensim, it hangs at the region handshake again (because, I guess, the viewer is comparing 192.168.10.100, which it resolved from the hosts file, with 11.22.33.44 which I also guess is sent somewhere in the region login packet from opensim).

Problem#1 I could live with.  But the fact that it won’t login unless the IP address provided in the viewer exactly matches the address in ‘Regions.ini’ makes it unworkable (and it seems a strange requirement – everything up to that point works just fine!).

I noticed from searching the forums that a request to fix this (I think) was put in by Paul Fishwick a few months ago.  Has it been fixed in a later revision?

Any ongoing help appreciated! Kevin

*UPDATE* - I just saw 0.6.7 has been released – does anyone know if this issue has been resolved in this version?

I just built it using same ini’s as v0.6.6 and the problem still seems to be there  :-(

Re: Opensim 0.6.6 release standalone hangs at 'Waiting for region handshake' (LoginPacketNeverReceived) on other intranet computers

Olli Aro
Administrator

Hi Kevin,

Since the ExternalHostName configuration parameter only allows IP addresses at the moment, the only way to get behind NAT scenario working for both external and internal users it to implement some kind of rule in your firewall that if there is a request coming from the internal network to an external IP then route it back to the internal IP. However, in most firewall this kind of requests are blocked by default as suspicious…

 So, really the easiest solution to this is to stick your OpenSim server to DMZ without NAT and with a public IP.

I know it is very annoying… I can’t wait to see domain names working for ExternalHostName…

Regards,

Olli

Re: Opensim 0.6.6 release standalone hangs at 'Waiting for region handshake' (LoginPacketNeverReceived) on other intranet computers

Kevin Buckley

Olli – Is this issue (the fact that it hangs at region handshake if the ‘–loginuri’ IP address and the ExternalHostName IP address are different) an opensim issue?  Or actually a viewer issue? Looking at the console activity, and the Hippo logs, it seems opensim thinks all is OK.  But maybe the viewer is waiting for a login packet matching the IP address it has fully qualified from its ‘ –loginuri’ switch (the viewer works with either an IP address OR a FQDN )?  So if you want to login from outside the intranet, ExternalHostName HAS to be the external IP address by definition? So unless you have router loopback, you could never be able to access from inside and outside the LAN using the same build, without modifying the viewer? – Regards, Kevin

Re: Opensim 0.6.6 release standalone hangs at 'Waiting for region handshake' (LoginPacketNeverReceived) on other intranet computers

Robert Klein
Hey Kevin,

I am running 0.6.4 and use 0.0.0.0 for internal port and an external hostname for the external_host_name in Regions. I also use the external host name for the loginuri on any machine external to my internal network and I use the IP address in loginuri for machines inside my network. Hope this helps.

-Robert

Kevin Buckley wrote
[...]

When you say you use an external host name in Regions.ini, do you mean like:

ExternalHostName = "http://www.mydomain.com" (with, or without the quote
marks?)

or