Opensim and BT home hub 3

Rob.J
Hello everyone. I do hope somebody can shed light on a problem I am having.

I successfully set up a hypergrid enabled sim last year, using SKY broadband and it's supplied router.
The Grid and sims ran very well, and I set up 7 regions. The router correctly NAT Looped back to allow me to log in myself, and my friends could log in from around the world and help me build. Group module and voice were not installed.

Noticing lag was starting to build as the sims filled with objects, I decided to switch ISP to BT and the fibre optic Infinity option 2, which gives me an 80mb DL / 20mb UL.

BT Supplied a home hub 3 router version A and when I first set it up, all port forwarding was dead in the water.

However, after 7 days a firmware update arrived and some partial success has followed. It now reports firmware as Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.94.1.11 (Type A).

I followed the advice on one of BT's help forums for setting up port forwarding, using the suggested static ethernet based LAN ip of 192.168.1.50

Now, bear in mind opensim worked perfectly well before switchover to new ISP, and no changes have been made to it's files.

The dynamic ip is handled by No-Ip and again worked very well with the old ISP.

When I boot up opensim via terminal on my iMac, I use 2 windows. First comes the ROBUST, which loads flawlessly. A port checker reveals at end of boot up, ports 8002 to 8004 are now open.

Now it gets muddy.

Using the second terminal window to 'mono Opensim.exe' starts the region boot up well, but then it slows down and stalls at one point. After about a minute the following lines appear;

19:06:39 - [FORMS]: exception occured POST http://dreamgrid.no-ip.org:8003/accounts: The request timed out  at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at OpenSim.Framework.SynchronousRestFormsRequester.MakeRequest (System.String verb, System.String requestUrl, System.String obj) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
19:06:39 - [FORMS]: InvalidOperationException on receiving POST http://dreamgrid.no-ip.org:8003/accounts
19:06:39 - [FORMS]: Slow request to <15> POST http://dreamgrid.no-ip.org:8003/accounts took 100003ms, 100003ms writing, VERSIONMIN=0&VERSIONMAX=0&METHOD=getaccount&ScopeID=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000&UserID=5af7
19:06:39 - [ACCOUNT CONNECTOR]: GetUserAccount received null or empty reply

The boot up then continues, slowing now and then to report messages such as

19:08:34 - [SynchronousRestObjectRequester]: Slow request to <27> POST http://dreamgrid.no-ip.org:8003/assets/ took 35157ms, 35017ms writing, <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><AssetBase xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instan

You can see from the time stamps the amount of time lapsed and it hasnt got to the end yet. Before on my old system the entire thing booted to the end in less than a minute.

A couple of red lines appear, stating
19:13:34 - [WATCHDOG]: Timeout detected for thread "Heartbeat (LMF)". ThreadState=WaitSleepJoin. Last tick was 39155ms ago.
19:13:39 - [WATCHDOG]: Timeout detected for thread "Heartbeat (Liston)". ThreadState=WaitSleepJoin. Last tick was 5906ms ago.

The names in brackets are of course the region names.

2 final bits of info that may help solve this. The port checker reveals port 9000 is open, which is the base region, but all ports above are reporting as closed.
Secondly, when I log in, I am just an orange cloud and cannot move at all.

Any thoughts are feedback would be very much appreciated.

Re: Opensim and BT home hub 3

justincc
This suggests that the simulator is having major problems contacting your robust instance.

Unless you're planning on having external simulators connect to your robust (which needs very careful consideration),
you don't need to use external IPs such as http://dreamgrid.no-ip.org:8003/assets/ for simulator -> ROBUST comms.  Try
LAN IPs (e.g. 192.168.2.1) instead.

On 22/05/13 19:51, Rob.J wrote:

> [...]
>
> You can see from the time stamps the amount of time lapsed and it hasnt got
> to the end yet. Before on my old system the entire thing booted to the end
> in less than a minute.
>
> A couple of red lines appear, stating
> 19:13:34 - [WATCHDOG]: Timeout detected for thread "Heartbeat (LMF)".
> ThreadState=WaitSleepJoin. Last tick was 39155ms ago.
> 19:13:39 - [WATCHDOG]: Timeout detected for thread "Heartbeat (Liston)".
> ThreadState=WaitSleepJoin. Last tick was 5906ms ago.
>
> The names in brackets are of course the region names.
>
> 2 final bits of info that may help solve this. The port checker reveals port
> 9000 is open, which is the base region, but all ports above are reporting as
> closed.
> Secondly, when I log in, I am just an orange cloud and cannot move at all.
>
> Any thoughts are feedback would be very much appreciated.

OSVW Consulting

Re: Opensim and BT home hub 3

InuYasha Meiji
Hello, I am by no means an expert.  You mentioned ports 8002-8004 are
open, but you never mentioned checking for the ports of you regions.  At
least that is what I know of running my grid and how it works.  I
started as a stand alone 3 years ago, and only within the last year
changed to using robust.  I wish I had fiber. It will be bad here if
Cable don't get moving and at least upgrade the equipment so I can get
faster uploads then only 5..  Lucky you get 20.

InuYasha

On 5/22/2013 2:51 PM, Rob.J wrote:

> [...]
>
> You can see from the time stamps the amount of time lapsed and it hasnt got
> to the end yet. Before on my old system the entire thing booted to the end
> in less than a minute.
>
> A couple of red lines appear, stating
> 19:13:34 - [WATCHDOG]: Timeout detected for thread "Heartbeat (LMF)".
> ThreadState=WaitSleepJoin. Last tick was 39155ms ago.
> 19:13:39 - [WATCHDOG]: Timeout detected for thread "Heartbeat (Liston)".
> ThreadState=WaitSleepJoin. Last tick was 5906ms ago.
>
> The names in brackets are of course the region names.
>
> 2 final bits of info that may help solve this. The port checker reveals port
> 9000 is open, which is the base region, but all ports above are reporting as
> closed.
> Secondly, when I log in, I am just an orange cloud and cannot move at all.
>
> Any thoughts are feedback would be very much appreciated.

Opensim User: In Gridmode  on Version 0.7.4. Nine Instances with 56 Regions. on Windows 7, 64-bit. Phenom 9500 2.2 GHz Quad Core, Terabyte Hard Drive, 8gig DDR2 RAM.  Used XAMPP to load PHP Version 5.3.0, Apache
and MySQL 5.1.41-community edition.  Groups, Profiles, Vivox Voice and
Offline Messages all working. (Not yet Public, 10 user accounts so far).

Re: Opensim and BT home hub 3

Rob.J
thanks for the feedback, I admit I started up robust first time around out of curiosity, thinking hypergrid enabling would allow flow of traffic from other regions and grids. Looking back it has not offered me any benefits. To clarify; can I downgrade my existing creation to a non hypergird operation and keep all the builds in tact easily, as well as allow people to log in from the net?