Opensim compile error under Mono 2.10

12

Opensim compile error under Mono 2.10

Ken Hall

Compiling the latest version (6557eba) from the OSGRID web site under Mono 2.10, I get the following:

[csc] /data/osgrid-build/opensim-6557eba/OpenSim/Framework/Util.cs(2032,24): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `ConcurrentDictionary' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

                  [csc] Compilation failed: 1 error(s), 1 warnings

Never had problems compiling before, nothing in Mantis.  Does this look like something changed, or a bug that I should report?  Wondering if anyone else has seen this.

Thanks

Re: Opensim compile error under Mono 2.10

Ken Hall

This is Fedora 20, using the packages from the distro.  There’s no “mono-complete”, but I installed all mono packages for x86_64.

7112ee0 from March 11 builds successfully, it’s only the latest level, 6557eba that doesn’t.

Maybe I’ll wait for the next level and see if that corrects it.

Re: Opensim compile error under Mono 2.10

Maxwell, Douglas
Hi Ken, when we build Open Sim on CentOS we have to build all of mono from source.  Hope this helps.  If you aren't married to the Red Hat ecosystem, you may wan to consider Michael's suggestion and use Debian/Ubuntu.
v/r -douglas

Douglas Maxwell, MSME
Science and Technology Manager
Virtual World Strategic Applications
U.S. Army Research Lab
Simulation & Training Technology Center (STTC)
(c) (407) 242-0209
Skype: vrdeity
This is Fedora 20, using the packages from the distro.  There’s no “mono-complete”, but I installed all mono packages for x86_64.

7112ee0 from March 11 builds successfully, it’s only the latest level, 6557eba that doesn’t.

Maybe I’ll wait for the next level and see if that corrects it.

Re: Opensim compile error under Mono 2.10

Ken Hall

Yep.

mono-data-postgresql-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64

mono-extras-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64

mono-devel-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64

monodoc-devel-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64

mono-data-oracle-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64

mono-winfx-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64

mono-mvc-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64

monodoc-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64

mono-web-devel-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64

mono-data-sqlite-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64

mono-web-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64

mono-addins-0.6.2-8.fc20.x86_64

mono-nunit-devel-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64

mono-mvc-devel-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64

mono-core-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64

mono-winforms-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64

mono-wcf-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64

mono-nunit-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64

mono-locale-extras-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64

mono-data-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64

Re: Opensim compile error under Mono 2.10

Ken Hall
I'd buy that except I've NEVER had this issue before.  It's always built
just fine.  And it built fine up till this last release.

Very puzzling.

Since this is what I do for a living, I'm kind of stuck with Red Hat or a
derivative, I've never had much involvement with Debian, and I'd rather not
get into managing multiple distributions if I can help it, I'd migrate the
whole works to Windows first.

________________________________

--
Michael Emory Cerquoni

Re: Opensim compile error under Mono 2.10

justincc
ConcurrentDictionary was introduced with .NET 4 but it should be present under Mono 2.10.  It builds fine with my stock
2.10.8.1 under Ubuntu and release notes suggest it was in Mono 2.8 already.

So 2 things I would also suggest off the top of my head.

1)  Simply sanity check, are you absolutely sure you're using mono 2.10?  What does mono --version output?

2) If everything should be okay, you could post a bigger snippet of the compile failure.  I would want to check that it
indicates you are building against the .NET 4 framework and not something earlier.  "nant" posts the .net fw info
explicitly.  "xbuild" does not but it should be detectable via "/reference:/usr/lib/mono/4.0/System.dll" and similar.

On 03/04/14 00:50, Michael Emory Cerquoni wrote:

> what about libmono*
>

> On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 7:43 PM, Ken Hall <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Yep.____
>
>     __ __
>
>     mono-data-postgresql-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64____
>
>     mono-extras-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64____
>
>     mono-devel-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64____
>
>     monodoc-devel-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64____
>
>     mono-data-oracle-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64____
>
>     mono-winfx-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64____
>
>     mono-mvc-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64____
>
>     monodoc-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64____
>
>     mono-web-devel-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64____
>
>     mono-data-sqlite-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64____
>
>     mono-web-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64____
>
>     mono-addins-0.6.2-8.fc20.x86_64____
>
>     mono-nunit-devel-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64____
>
>     mono-mvc-devel-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64____
>
>     mono-core-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64____
>
>     mono-winforms-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64____
>
>     mono-wcf-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64____
>
>     mono-nunit-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64____
>
>     mono-locale-extras-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64____
>
>     mono-data-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64____
>
>     __ __
>
>     __ __
>
>     __ __

OSVW Consulting

Re: Opensim compile error under Mono 2.10

Ken Hall

No such RPM in Fedora.

You’re missing one important point though:  Previous versions of Opensim compile successfully, it’s only this recent one that doesn’t.  Something changed.

Re: Opensim compile error under Mono 2.10

Ken Hall
Pointing out again that opensim-7112ee0.tar.gz compiles successfully.  Is
the use of "ConcurrentDictionary" new with this later level?

[ken@osgrid ken]$ mono --version
Mono JIT compiler version 2.10.8 (tarball Sat Aug  3 13:17:40 UTC 2013)
Copyright (C) 2002-2011 Novell, Inc, Xamarin, Inc and Contributors.
www.mono-project.com
        TLS:           __thread
        SIGSEGV:       altstack
        Notifications: epoll
        Architecture:  amd64
        Disabled:      none
        Misc:          debugger softdebug
        LLVM:          supported, not enabled.
        GC:            Included Boehm (with typed GC and Parallel Mark)

[nant]
/data/osgrid-build/opensim-6557eba/OpenSim/Framework/OpenSim.Framework.dll.b
uild build
            Buildfile:
file:///data/osgrid-build/opensim-6557eba/OpenSim/Framework/OpenSim.Framewor
k.dll.build
            Target framework: Mono 2.0 Profile
            Target(s) specified: build

            build:

                 [echo] Build Directory is
/data/osgrid-build/opensim-6557eba/OpenSim/Framework/bin/Debug
                [mkdir] Creating directory
'/data/osgrid-build/opensim-6557eba/OpenSim/Framework/bin/Debug'.
                  [csc] Compiling 125 files to
'/data/osgrid-build/opensim-6557eba/OpenSim/Framework/bin/Debug/OpenSim.Fram
ework.dll'.
                  [csc] The compiler for "Mono 2.0 Profile" does not support
limiting the platform on which the compiled code can run.
                  [csc]
/data/osgrid-build/opensim-6557eba/OpenSim/Framework/Animation.cs(38,18):
warning CS0659: `OpenSim.Framework.Animation' overrides
Object.Equals(object) but does not override Object.GetHashCode()
                  [csc]
/data/osgrid-build/opensim-6557eba/OpenSim/Framework/Util.cs(2032,24): error
CS0246: The type or namespace name `ConcurrentDictionary' could not be
found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?
                  [csc] Compilation failed: 1 error(s), 1 warnings

            BUILD FAILED - 0 non-fatal error(s), 3 warning(s)

/data/osgrid-build/opensim-6557eba/OpenSim/Framework/OpenSim.Framework.dll.b
uild(6,6):
            External Program Failed: /usr/lib/mono/2.0/gmcs.exe (return code
was 1)

            Total time: 0.8 seconds.

<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

>     Yep.____
>
>     __ __
>
>     mono-data-postgresql-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64____
>
>     mono-extras-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64____
>
>     mono-devel-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64____
>
>     monodoc-devel-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64____
>
>     mono-data-oracle-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64____
>
>     mono-winfx-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64____
>
>     mono-mvc-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64____
>
>     monodoc-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64____
>
>     mono-web-devel-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64____
>
>     mono-data-sqlite-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64____
>
>     mono-web-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64____
>
>     mono-addins-0.6.2-8.fc20.x86_64____
>
>     mono-nunit-devel-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64____
>
>     mono-mvc-devel-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64____
>
>     mono-core-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64____
>
>     mono-winforms-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64____
>
>     mono-wcf-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64____
>
>     mono-nunit-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64____
>
>     mono-locale-extras-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64____
>
>     mono-data-2.10.8-5.fc20.x86_64____
>
>     __ __
>
>     __ __
>
>     __ __
>
>     *From:*[hidden email]
<mailto:[hidden email]>

<mailto:[hidden email]>

OSVW Consulting

Re: Opensim compile error under Mono 2.10

Oren Hurvitz
The problem is that you're compiling with a target of .NET 2.0, and you need to change the target to .NET 4.0. See this line in the compiler output:

   Target framework: Mono 2.0 Profile

Here's a command-line option that might make Mono use the correct profile (but I haven't tried this):

  --with-profile4=yes

(From: http://mono-project.com/Unsupported_Advanced_Mono_Compile_Options#Controlling_the_Profile_to_Build )

Re: Opensim compile error under Mono 2.10

Oren Hurvitz
Oh, and it was me who added ConcurrentDictionary to the source code. I let the dogs out, I was the man on the grassy knoll. It was all part of my cunning plan to make sure people actually use .NET 4.0 features in OpenSim :)

Re: Opensim compile error under Mono 2.10

M.E. Verhagen
and run it with

mono --runtime=v4.0

Re: Opensim compile error under Mono 2.10

Ken Hall
I just run what comes with the tarball, would have been nice if someone had
either fixed the nant script or documented that.

Or is there a default somewhere in Mono I can set?  This is the only thing
Mono is used for on this box.

The problem is that you're compiling with a target of .NET 2.0, and you need
to change the target to .NET 4.0. See this line in the compiler output:

   Target framework: Mono 2.0 Profile

Here's a command-line option that might make Mono use the correct profile
(but I haven't tried this):

  --with-profile4=yes

(From:
http://mono-project.com/Unsupported_Advanced_Mono_Compile_Options#Controllin
g_the_Profile_to_Build
)

The problem is that you're compiling with a target of .NET 2.0, and you need
to change the target to .NET 4.0. See this line in the compiler output:

   Target framework: Mono 2.0 Profile

Here's a command-line option that might make Mono use the correct profile
(but I haven't tried this):

  --with-profile4=yes

(From:
http://mono-project.com/Unsupported_Advanced_Mono_Compile_Options#Controllin
g_the_Profile_to_Build
)

2-10-tp7581212p7581228.html

Michael Emory Cerquoni

Re: Opensim compile error under Mono 2.10

That shouldn't be necessary - the build should be using Mono 4.0 Profile automatically.

Try checking nant - it could be that your version is too old to recognize the Mono 4.0 Profile framework.  The one I'm
currently using on my Ubuntu 13.04 is NAnt 0.92 (Build 0.92.4526.0; rc1; 23/05/2012), which admittedly is a few years
old now.

Another sanity check - have you run ./runprebuild.sh and "nant clean build" recently?  The new profile settings would
not be updated until then but I'm guessing you have since OpenSimulator would very probably not have compiled otherwise.
  Still, I would recommend downloading the source tree to a fresh directory and trying that if you haven't already.

Finally, what happens if you use mono's bundled "xbuild" tool to perform the compile instead of nant?  xbuild will use
different project files to compile so may pick up the right framework where nant is not, which would narrow things down.

On 03/04/14 15:29, Ken Hall wrote:

> I just run what comes with the tarball, would have been nice if someone had
> either fixed the nant script or documented that.
>
> Or is there a default somewhere in Mono I can set?  This is the only thing
> Mono is used for on this box.

OSVW Consulting