Opensim groups support

JaniP
Group support in Opensim ...including an interview with developer M.Cortez

Best regards,
Jani

Re: Opensim groups support

matt raffel
asking for clarity:  the article states: "You can find the group project
at XmlRpcGroups <http://code.google.com/p/flotsam/wiki/XmlRpcGroups> on
Google Code - it is already included in SVN and the first patches for
issues have been submitted."

Does this mean a get from SVN for opensim will not get me the group code
too?   This is the command I use to update my opensim  "svn co
http://opensimulator.org/svn/opensim/trunk engine"

Matt

Jani Pirkola wrote:

> Group support in Opensim ...including an interview with developer M.Cortez
> http://www.maxping.org/technology/platforms/open-simulator/groups-in-opensim.aspx
>
> Best regards,
> Jani

Re: Opensim groups support

Dave Coyle
On 2009-04-27 14:20:36 -0400, [hidden email] wrote:
> asking for clarity:  the article states: "You can find the group project
> at XmlRpcGroups <http://code.google.com/p/flotsam/wiki/XmlRpcGroups> on
> Google Code - it is already included in SVN and the first patches for
> issues have been submitted."
>
> Does this mean a get from SVN for opensim will not get me the group code
> too?

The XmlRpcGroups module for region servers is in the OpenSim SVN repo.
Think of http://code.google.com/p/flotsam as a forge.opensimulator.org
project only hosted elsewhere... stuff gets
developed/tested/fixed/broken there, and things which make sense to
have in core OpenSim are contributed back as patches.

If you want to run your own XMLRPC service for use with that region
module, though, you'll find that at the gcode site above, not in the
OpenSim SVN repo.

-Coyle

Re: Opensim groups support

matt raffel
Dave Coyle wrote:

> On 2009-04-27 14:20:36 -0400, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> asking for clarity:  the article states: "You can find the group project
>> at XmlRpcGroups <http://code.google.com/p/flotsam/wiki/XmlRpcGroups> on
>> Google Code - it is already included in SVN and the first patches for
>> issues have been submitted."
>>
>> Does this mean a get from SVN for opensim will not get me the group code
>> too?
>>

> The XmlRpcGroups module for region servers is in the OpenSim SVN repo.
> Think of http://code.google.com/p/flotsam as a forge.opensimulator.org
> project only hosted elsewhere... stuff gets
> developed/tested/fixed/broken there, and things which make sense to
> have in core OpenSim are contributed back as patches.
>
> If you want to run your own XMLRPC service for use with that region
> module, though, you'll find that at the gcode site above, not in the
> OpenSim SVN repo.
>
> -Coyle

Thnx but I'm still confused.

If I want functioning groups I need to dl a separate code base?

Matt

Re: Opensim groups support

Michael Cortez-3
> Thnx but I'm still confused.
>
> If I want functioning groups I need to dl a separate code base?

Depends.

If you download OpenSim from the core SVN -- you will have the code
for XmlRpcGroups module.

To use the module, you will need to 1) enable it in OpenSim.ini  2)
When enabling it you must point it at an xmlrpc server for groups.

There is a publicly available test server for groups, and the URL for
it is in OpenSim.ini.example.

If you want to use a private xmlrpc groups server, you will need to
get the SQL and PHP code for the xmlrpc server from the flotsam
project site, because that code is not in the main OpenSim SVN.

Nearly all new features and bug fixes will first be submitted to the
flotsam project site.  After testing, and where appropriate, those
same updates are submitted to the OpenSim SVN via Mantis as patches.

So, the simple quick answer to "If I want functioning groups" is --
download OpenSim SVN head, and enable the module in your OpenSim.ini
file using the public groups test server.

But please be aware of the following:
1. The flotsam server is a public *TEST* server.  Anything created
there is not guaranteed to stay available.  However I will do my best
to prevent data loss.

2. The Plazas on OSGrid are using their own private xmlrpc server that
is not currently accessible by other regions.

3. Any groups you create in one region, will only be available on
other regions using the same xmlrpc service.

Hope that helps,
--
Michael Cortez

Re: Opensim groups support

matt raffel
Michael Cortez wrote:

>> Thnx but I'm still confused.
>>
>> If I want functioning groups I need to dl a separate code base?
>>

> Depends.
>
> If you download OpenSim from the core SVN -- you will have the code
> for XmlRpcGroups module.
>
> To use the module, you will need to 1) enable it in OpenSim.ini  2)
> When enabling it you must point it at an xmlrpc server for groups.
>
> There is a publicly available test server for groups, and the URL for
> it is in OpenSim.ini.example.
>
> If you want to use a private xmlrpc groups server, you will need to
> get the SQL and PHP code for the xmlrpc server from the flotsam
> project site, because that code is not in the main OpenSim SVN.
>
> Nearly all new features and bug fixes will first be submitted to the
> flotsam project site.  After testing, and where appropriate, those
> same updates are submitted to the OpenSim SVN via Mantis as patches.
>
> So, the simple quick answer to "If I want functioning groups" is --
> download OpenSim SVN head, and enable the module in your OpenSim.ini
> file using the public groups test server.
>
> But please be aware of the following:
> 1. The flotsam server is a public *TEST* server.  Anything created
> there is not guaranteed to stay available.  However I will do my best
> to prevent data loss.
>
> 2. The Plazas on OSGrid are using their own private xmlrpc server that
> is not currently accessible by other regions.
>
> 3. Any groups you create in one region, will only be available on
> other regions using the same xmlrpc service.
>
> Hope that helps,
> --
> Michael Cortez

Thank you :)  Very helpful.