Opensim on Ubuntu Server

Steve-28
This may sound like a daft question, but I'm new to OpenSim and a server
only OS. Anyway, I have OS installed and running fine, connected to a
grid and my backup from running on Windows is restored. However, I can
only run OS as root (sudo). It's installed in my /home directory so I
should have full perms on the files, but clearly not.

What am I doing wrong?

Steve

Re: Opensim on Ubuntu Server

Karen_Palen
You don't specify, but this sounds like you do not have much experience with Linux.

If this assumption is correct then I would suggest that you install a desktop version of Linux and install OpenSim on that! I run my standalone system under Ubuntu desktop 9.10 with no problems, I plan to migrate to a server version only if I decide to start a publicly accessible grid.

There are quite a few Linux desktop versions that would work for you I have tried about a dozen (out of almost 2000 that are available!), but I have found that Ubuntu is the easiest to install and run for the long time Windows user. Ubuntu even comes with a "Windows migration guide" to help you over the rough spots.

You should also read the classic article on this subject, "Linux is not Windows":

http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

To answer your specific problem, every Linux file includes an "Owner" and a "Group" field which is independent of the directory (folder).

If this is set to "root", then only the superuser "root" will be "own" the files. Typically file permissions (also set separately) allow the owner to change the file, but others to merely read the file.

Running as root in Linux is not just a bad idea, it causes all kinds of foulups. Linux is designed to run 99% of the time with an ordinary user and only execute specific functions as root.

Making the transition to Linux can be painful and frustrating, but I switched a year ago and feel it is well worth he pain. I had to do a Windows 7 install last week and spent hours cursing the lack of the Linux tools I am now used to! This after using Windows from Win 3.1!

Karen

> only OS. Anyway, I have OS installed and running fine,
> connected to a
> grid and my backup from running on Windows is restored.
> However, I can
> only run OS as root (sudo). It's installed in my /home
> directory so I
> should have full perms on the files, but clearly not.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Steve

Re: Opensim on Ubuntu Server

Steve-28
Thank you for your reply.

In fact, I have been using Linux on and off for 20 years (I originally
started with Debian on Amiga) - but in recent years I've run a desktop
version, and found little need to get involved with permissions.
Nevertheless, I think you may be on to something, although I understood
that /home folder permissions would be set for the user, and not root.
I'll check this.

I'm not actually running as root, but running the OS as a user. However,
I have to sudo the OpenSim server to get it working. This is what I'm
not keen on.

Steve

On 20/02/2010 6:16 PM, Karen Palen wrote:

> You don't specify, but this sounds like you do not have much experience with Linux.
>
> If this assumption is correct then I would suggest that you install a desktop version of Linux and install OpenSim on that! I run my standalone system under Ubuntu desktop 9.10 with no problems, I plan to migrate to a server version only if I decide to start a publicly accessible grid.
>
> There are quite a few Linux desktop versions that would work for you I have tried about a dozen (out of almost 2000 that are available!), but I have found that Ubuntu is the easiest to install and run for the long time Windows user. Ubuntu even comes with a "Windows migration guide" to help you over the rough spots.
>
> You should also read the classic article on this subject, "Linux is not Windows":
>
> http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm
>
> To answer your specific problem, every Linux file includes an "Owner" and a "Group" field which is independent of the directory (folder).
>
> If this is set to "root", then only the superuser "root" will be "own" the files. Typically file permissions (also set separately) allow the owner to change the file, but others to merely read the file.
>
> Running as root in Linux is not just a bad idea, it causes all kinds of foulups. Linux is designed to run 99% of the time with an ordinary user and only execute specific functions as root.
>
> Making the transition to Linux can be painful and frustrating, but I switched a year ago and feel it is well worth he pain. I had to do a Windows 7 install last week and spent hours cursing the lack of the Linux tools I am now used to! This after using Windows from Win 3.1!
>
> Karen

Re: Opensim on Ubuntu Server

Dickson, Mike (ISS Software)
On 02/20/2010 02:19 PM, Steve wrote:

> Thank you for your reply.
>
> In fact, I have been using Linux on and off for 20 years (I originally
> started with Debian on Amiga) - but in recent years I've run a desktop
> version, and found little need to get involved with permissions.
> Nevertheless, I think you may be on to something, although I understood
> that /home folder permissions would be set for the user, and not root.
> I'll check this.
>
> I'm not actually running as root, but running the OS as a user. However,
> I have to sudo the OpenSim server to get it working. This is what I'm
> not keen on.
>
> Steve

What error specifically are you seeing when you run the binary as a
regular user? There's no reason I'm aware of that it should require root
privileges to run.  One thing to watch for is files that may have been
created as root when you ran that way that are now not accessible as a
regular user.

Mike

Re: Opensim on Ubuntu Server

Steve-28
The only error I've seen is a physics failure. Since installing the
server edition I've done everything as a user (except where root
priveliges were required - e.g. updating mono)

I may try moving the folder and see if it cures it. It's times like this
I miss the GUI of a desktop. Having said that, since the only thing the
machine is doing is running OpenSim, it shouldn't be particularly
vulnerable.

It's more annoying.

Steve

On 20/02/2010 8:38 PM, Mike Dickson wrote:

> On 02/20/2010 02:19 PM, Steve wrote:
>
>> Thank you for your reply.
>>
>> In fact, I have been using Linux on and off for 20 years (I originally
>> started with Debian on Amiga) - but in recent years I've run a desktop
>> version, and found little need to get involved with permissions.
>> Nevertheless, I think you may be on to something, although I understood
>> that /home folder permissions would be set for the user, and not root.
>> I'll check this.
>>
>> I'm not actually running as root, but running the OS as a user. However,
>> I have to sudo the OpenSim server to get it working. This is what I'm
>> not keen on.
>>
>> Steve
>>

> What error specifically are you seeing when you run the binary as a
> regular user? There's no reason I'm aware of that it should require root
> privileges to run.  One thing to watch for is files that may have been
> created as root when you ran that way that are now not accessible as a
> regular user.
>
> Mike

Re: Opensim on Ubuntu Server

Ken Grunke
You can install and run mono in your user space, maybe that will take
care of it?