Opensim standalone ports

Yahya
Hello all,

I have installed and configured the OpenSim standalone server on a separate server. It is a highly secure where only certain TCP are open.

Now, I assumed since OpenSim listens on the default UDP/TCP 9000 port, I only have to open that port, but I still have problems connecting to it.

Are there any ports that need to be opened in order for me to successfully connect it via the viewer?

Re: Opensim standalone ports

Gary Beck
On my router ports can be opened for either TCP, UDP or BOTH.  Typically you need BOTH for port 9000 and UDP for any other ports used for regions.  Having only TCP ports open won't support communication with the regions.
- Gary Beck
I have installed and configured the OpenSim standalone server on a separate server. It is a highly secure where only certain TCP are open.

Now, I assumed since OpenSim listens on the default UDP/TCP 9000 port, I only have to open that port, but I still have problems connecting to it.

Are there any ports that need to be opened in order for me to successfully connect it via the viewer?

Re: Opensim standalone ports

Tom Willans
You need to have ports TCP/UDP open for each region in your Regions.ini files e.g. 9000, 9001,9002 for three regions.

You will also need:

-  a static external IP address or, as in my case, a free dynamic dns service. I use no-ip.com as it is readily supported on my router ( BT Home Hub 3 model B) which is easy.

- the router really needs to support NAT loop back which enables it to recognise an external address as referring to itself when using your internal LAN. http://opensimulator.org/wiki/NAT_Loopback_Routers for a list.

-    The ExternalHostName was set to this external URL in both the OpenSim.ini configuration files and Region.ini files e.g. Region Config.ini. I use the diva distribution so the MyWorld.ini to override setting in other OpenSim configuration files.

-    Port forwarding was set up for TCP and UDP on ports 9000-9004 to my server.

Tom Willans  BSc(Hons)  MBCS  CITP
PhD Student
Serious Games Institute, Coventry University
United Kingdom

Managing Director Bessacarr Publications Ltd
Senior Research Representative:Engineering and Computing
+44 (0)121 288 0281
skype: tom.willans
Second Life and OSGrid: Tom Tiros

Sent from my iPad

On 26 Apr 2013, at 13:59, "Gary Beck" <[hidden email]> wrote:

On my router ports can be opened for either TCP, UDP or BOTH.  Typically you need BOTH for port 9000 and UDP for any other ports used for regions.  Having only TCP ports open won't support communication with the regions.
- Gary Beck
I have installed and configured the OpenSim standalone server on a separate server. It is a highly secure where only certain TCP are open.

Now, I assumed since OpenSim listens on the default UDP/TCP 9000 port, I only have to open that port, but I still have problems connecting to it.

Are there any ports that need to be opened in order for me to successfully connect it via the viewer?

Re: Opensim standalone ports

Gary Beck
Region ports don't need to be opened for TCP. The exception being 9000 which is the default port used for all TCP communication from the viewer to the Server.
- Gary Beck

[...]

Senior Research Representative: Faculty of Engineering and Computing